+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Tell me about your most recent family holiday

Where did you go and would you recommend it?

Our last proper family holiday was...in 2012! We went to Fiji for 4 nights for a friend's wedding. We just haven't been able to afford a holiday since then, there has always been other expenses that took priority.

This year, we are in a better position to save, so we are committing to treating ourselves to a getaway! We have considered overseas, but we're now thinking perhaps somewhere in Australia would be more suitable (?)

Would love some inspiration

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have never been on one but are looking at either Fiji or Singapore later in the year.

Singapore is, apparently, very kid friendly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did a cruise to the Pacific Islands last May. Although hubby doesnt come as he gets bad sea sickness! We normally go away for a few days to a beach house a friend has as well. Just so we include him in some holidays lol
    The kids and I are off on another cruise in September school holidays (Qld Coast) and then again next April to New Zealand. DS3 is then in high school so will not be holidays as much.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SammiJane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about your most recent family holiday

Oooh fun! We went to California last year and did Santa Monica, Disneyland & San Diego. amazing! We were meant to go to Disneyland again on way to Canada (Banff) to see Xmas decorations in Dec but we adopted DS during the year so no passports for 12 months. Instead holding off on such a cold climate holiday til he's a bit older so revised plan next holiday is Disney World. If we think we can handle the flight with a 2 year old... that's still being debated

ETA in Aus I enjoy Melb and surrounds eg sovereign hill, Sunshine Coast and we live on the GC which I think would be fun for families to holiday at.
    Last edited by bezzy; 14-02-2017 at 10:59.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (14-02-2017),yadot  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    We have never been on one but are looking at either Fiji or Singapore later in the year.

Singapore is, apparently, very kid friendly.
    Love Singapore it's amazing! Haven't been in quite a few years so I'm keen to go again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

DT75  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our experiences are on the East Coast so far .. Head to Byron Bay and enjoy the Tweed Coast (stay just out of Byron is my recommendation)...but we also head in to QLD and hit the theme parks (or one or two).

If you want a quieter holiday South West Rocks on the north coast is a lovely little beach town, or Jervis Bay or Merimbula are lovely on the South Coast. Merimbula has a very basic, but super fun theme park called Magic Mountain. Noosa is also nice, but busy.
    Melbourne is great if you want to head in to a city...heaps to do there for kids as well. You could tee it up with a show, visit the zoo (the butterfly sanctuary is great), ride on a tram, go on a horse and carriage ride, head to Luna Park and eat the cakes at St. Kilda. You can do a bus trip to see the Penguins at Phillip Island (makes for a late night, though).

We have plans to hit Darwin, Cairns, Alice Springs and WA (especially the Kimberley's) before our kids are fully grown, but we have enjoyed all of our holidays along the East Coast so far. We did the Great Ocean Rd with the kids...which was good...but it depends on how long you have and the time of year you're going. We took three weeks to do the GOR.

Overseas - Singapore would be my choice. We decided to concentrate on showing our kids Australia, though. Figured they'd head off overseas on their own as adults, and wanted them to experience their own country.
    Last edited by Full House; 14-02-2017 at 09:42.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We spent a month over Dec/Jan in Europe,started in Dusseldorf then had Christmas in a small town in the Netherlands with friends then travelled to Amsterdam, London, Paris and Barcelona then went on a western Mediterranean cruise to Malta, Sicily, Rome, Florence, Pisa, Monte Carlo, Palma Majorca and Valencia and back to Barcelona. Then home via Singapore. It was amazing. Next holiday is a cabin on the south coast!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Our last holiday was August 2015 on a cruise doing the islands. We are looking at going away at Christmas this year but kiddo keeps changing his mind on where we go.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Where are you from?

We went to Sydney and loved it! We explored Coogee, Manly, Watsons Bay, Circular Quay and the Sydney Zoo.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Where are you from?

We went to Sydney and loved it! We explored Coogee, Manly, Watsons Bay, Circular Quay and the Sydney Zoo.
    We're a couple of hours north of Sydney. We used to live there, so we'll be looking to go somewhere less familiar. Glad you had fun on your trip - there's loads to do there

We have been considering Singapore, though food will be a bit tricky for DS and I (DS has sensory issues/limited diet, and I'm allergic to eggs - they seem to go mad for eggs over there, even in unexpected dishes like curries).

I'm interested in Hawaii. DH suggested the Whitsundays last night for a local option. Just throwing options around at the moment.