ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What food to pack for a hospital stay?

Looking for ideas for food to pack for a hospital stay! Unfortunately I have been transferred to the same high-risk hospital I birthed at last time, where I wasnt given anything to eat or drink during my stay (they were 'too busy'). Partners are locked out outside of visiting hours, so I can't rely on my husband to bring me dinner, and I wont have access to a microwave or fridge... all I can think of is packing a salad or a sandwich or something for my dinner, which probably won't be enough when I've just given birth and my milk is coming in! Any ideas? They wont let me take in too much 'luggage', so it has to be small and compact. Help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Water bottles- refillable
    Muesli bars (OATS- helps milk)
    Noodles (access to kettle?)
    Chips and bread (sandwiches)
    Jerky
    Crackers
    Tuna

This is what I had, but mine did provide food. Husband can bring in fresher stuff like fruit, salads, raw veg, boiled eggs, etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Water bottles- refillable
    Muesli bars (OATS- helps milk)
    Noodles (access to kettle?)
    Chips and bread (sandwiches)
    Jerky
    Crackers
    Tuna

This is what I had, but mine did provide food. Husband can bring in fresher stuff like fruit, salads, raw veg, boiled eggs, etc.
    Thanks! I have bottled water and museli bars, I doubt I'll have access to a kettle but the other things will work.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

DT75  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I would take some non perishable pre prepare meals so you don't have to worry about storing/ heating etc.

I'm thinking something like the St Dalfour French Bistro range from woolies (tuna pasta, salmon pasta etc). It's not the most appetizing but it's ok in a pinch. I think John West etc also do tinned tuna and rice meals.

Or if you have access to a kettle maybe cuppa soup or cup noodles. If you don't have access to a kettle maybe you could take a flask with boiling water.

On a side note I can't believe they didn't give you any food! That's shocking. Hope you have a better experience this time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I would take some non perishable pre prepare meals so you don't have to worry about storing/ heating etc.

I'm thinking something like the St Dalfour French Bistro range from woolies (tuna pasta, salmon pasta etc). It's not the most appetizing but it's ok in a pinch. I think John West etc also do tinned tuna and rice meals.

Or if you have access to a kettle maybe cuppa soup or cup noodles. If you don't have access to a kettle maybe you could take a flask with boiling water.

On a side note I can't believe they didn't give you any food! That's shocking. Hope you have a better experience this time.
    Thanks, both good ideas. Unfortunately no food was just a tiny part of the poor care of this hospital, so I'm dreading going back there 😭 but my expectations this time are extremely low, so I am getting prepared now with my own food, medication, etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How about some sustagen (as in the one from the chemist) with UHT milk? At least you get nutrients and it will help fill you up a bit.

When is your visiting hours? Maybe get your DH to bring a small cold bag every day with a dinner for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a crappy hospital! I've gone public this time and was surprised by their "room service" style menu where I can order as much or as little as I like. Are you sure you they didn't forget you last time, all patients should be supplied meals.

Sorry...now to answer your question. What about long life cheese sticks with rice crackers or jatz. Poppers with orange juice, bake your own lactation cookies...

I'd probably focus on snacking small and often rather than try to come up with full meals you can eat because you don't have access to heating. But salad and sandwiches sounds doable if you can take in a little esky?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds awful! How about a trail mix of dried fruit, nuts and seeds? Great for snacking and if you get the right mix full of protein and fibre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What food to pack for a hospital stay?

Hey op sounds like my hospital lol! Our experiences are almost identical I've noticed from previous posts as well- from IUGR, clueless doctors, horrendous previous experience and right down to kicking partners out (it was 8pm here and they weren't allowed back until 10am )

Not that they intentionally starved me with dd1, we were provided food but we were given a "coupon" to go fetch it ourselves, (as we were told over and over you're not sick ) too bad if you were busy or incapacitated or didn't know where to go for that 30 minute window to fetch it or there was nothing but scraps left
    @cheeeeesecake hopefully it is better for you this time. I overprepared myself with dd2- packing soap, snacks like Le snacks, muesli bars, Powerade, chocolate tuna etc, and panadol, panadeine and voltaren for pain relief post birth. Dd1 (2nd degree tear the whole way through) I rang dh in tears to go to the chemist to fetch some panadol, I kept asking but they kept forgetting me

Turns out they now delivered meals with dd2 (I think there were complaints, and it means at least somebody entered your room every few hours- there was an instance of someone bleeding out on the floor and nobody noticed for hours- I was also left without anyone checking bleeding and confused post epidural for hours) and as the delivery was easier I didn't need as much assistance and pain relief.

So as my expectations were soooo low I wasn't disappointed, it wasn't as bad as I feared/remembered and better prepared.

Hugs xxxx
    Hopefully your bubs will be healthy and it's all good
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 14-02-2017 at 16:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg LMS and Cheeeescake! What awful hospitals! I went public, and was very well looked after. Hope it's improved, Cheeeescake!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (14-02-2017)