+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Identity crisis

I'm really struggling at 7+1 weeks with not being able to do anything that I feel makes me who I am.

Prior to falling pregnant I had just competed at nationals for powerlifting and was training 20 hours per week with a strict diet. I'm now too sick to get through the day, let alone even do half an hour of any sort of exercise each day. I walk to and from the station every day for work but the most actual exercise I get is about 45 minutes on a Saturday morning, because then I can sleep for the rest of the day. This is really affecting my mental health, and given how much my body is changing due to the fact that i can only stomach bread for most of the day and I can't train, my self-confidence is completely shot. I'm finding I don't have anything to talk to anyone about because my life consists of getting through the working day and sleeping. Im feeling like I don't even know who I am anymore.

When I've brought it up with people I've been laughed at, I've been told that it's good that I'm feeling fat and lazy, I've been told to get over it because it's not about me anymore...the list goes on. The thing is, I had always envisaged a healthy pregnancy and now I feel like I'm experiencing anything but. I know things will go back to normal after the birth but I still have a long way to go before we get there.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? How did you go about redefining who you are so you could stop feeling like this?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    It will all improve well before the birth. The first trimester is tough. With my first all I did was throw up and sleep. It was hard and deflating. A lot is going on in the first 12 weeks. Physically and emotionally. I know it's hard but stay strong, your body knows what it's doing even if you hate it at the moment. When's your next appointment? If it's a while away maybe make one soon and have a chat to them about how you are feeling. Hope you feel better soon xxx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to happyfrog For This Useful Post:

IPFmum  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you My next appointment is in 3 weeks, after my 12 week scan, so hopefully I'll be feeling a little better by then. I've booked a counselling appointment for next week to see if that will help.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Please see someone sooner if the feelings get worse. With my 1st 2 pregnancies I suffered AND in the first trimester. I had debilitating fatigue and constant nausea (needing carbs to calm it down) and could barely get through each work day. With my 1st preg my thoughts got quite dark as I literally didn't think it was worth the effort to make it through each day. I started improving once the fatigue lifted at 13ish weeks.

My 2nd pregnancy I felt the same but it was a missed miscarriage and immediately after the d&c at 9w I felt "normal" (sad, but not depressed). It made me realise that I would need help for the next pregnancy so I spoke to my OB about it. He gave me an "in case you need it" script for an AD in case it happened again before the 13w appt next time around.

Oddly though, while I had the fatigue and nausea with the next pregnancies, I thankfully didn't get the depression again. With both of my full term pregnancies I felt progressively better through the whole thing and by the end I felt great. Big, achey and clumsy - but great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know this was posted a while ago, but maybe you could train others, then you'd still feel like you were part of it all, and you still would be, you just wouldnt be lifting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, that's definitely a good idea I'm actually about to finish off my fitness certificate so I can do that. I've got my coaching certificate but I need the extra piece of paper!

I've seen a counsellor and she helped me a bit but at the moment it's just getting through day by day. I've dropped down to part time work so I can get a bit of extra rest and so I can put a little more focus on my health, which has been making me feel a little better.

Thank you for the advice

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IPFmum For This Useful Post:

Rachel3072  (22-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hope you're doing ok @IPFmum

Having babies is such a massive adjustment that no one can prepare you for! xx