+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WWYD? Buying a car.

Df and I are owed a bit of money from my dad from the sale of his house. We had always planned to use to the money to buy a second hand ute (basically a run around car for df)

The money is due to be put into our account mid march after the house sold (finally!)
    We bought my mums old car off her a few months ago (an older model car, chews through fuel but does the job) and df uses it for work and going to golf. Sometimes we use it if one of us needs to go out and the other needs to take DS out as well. The big plus is we have a second car and it has a tow ball. We don't own a trailer but can drive to my mums and borrows her. A bit of a pain but it works.

We aren't sure if we should look at selling our second car (wouldn't be worth much at all) and using the money we are getting from my dad to buy a ute like we originally planned or sticking with what we have and putting what money is left away in the bank (after buying a new mattress that we are desperate for!) a ute would be so much easier. We can't fit our 2 dogs and DS in the car at the same time. We wouldn't have to drive to my mums to borrow the trailer and well I think df would just like a ute a bit more because that was our original plan.

WWYD? Would you sell the current car and buy a second hand ute or keep what u have and bank the money lol

Df and I are really tossing up what we should do.

Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would buy the car as per the original plan. We were in this predicament a while ago! We desperately needed a bigger car as neither of ours could comfortably transport DP's gear to & from gigs (he's a drummer) with us in it as well (if he has to travel for gigs we sometimes go too). We came into some money and yes, whilst we would have loved to buy a new washing machine or TV or a billion other things haha I'm soooo glad we bought a big car. If it's something you need and would make your life easier I don't think you'll regret it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My only advice with buying a second hand ute is to be careful of what it was used for by the previous owner

Was it a tradie ute ?
    How much did it tow each day?
    How many kms are on the clock ?

Only suggesting this as dp is a tradie and tows 1.5 tonne every day.

If it's got 300,000km on it and say it's 7/8 yrs old I'd stay away from it. Likely hood it's an ex tradie that towed a lot of weight which puts pressure on the suspension and brakes.

If it towed a trailer was the trailer braked which is actually better and less strain on the car

We have 2013 Colorado ute it's already got 80k on the clock and we've replaced the suspension to beef it up and will be replacing the brakes in the next few months

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also check that it has child restraint anchor points. Lots of bigger Utes don't have them because they are rated as commercial vehicles.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie46 View Post
    I would buy the car as per the original plan. We were in this predicament a while ago! We desperately needed a bigger car as neither of ours could comfortably transport DP's gear to & from gigs (he's a drummer) with us in it as well (if he has to travel for gigs we sometimes go too). We came into some money and yes, whilst we would have loved to buy a new washing machine or TV or a billion other things haha I'm soooo glad we bought a big car. If it's something you need and would make your life easier I don't think you'll regret it
    Thank you we are thinking a ute would help more but it's not a necessity so I'm struggling to say yes. It sounds like a bigger car was very much needed for u!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    My only advice with buying a second hand ute is to be careful of what it was used for by the previous owner

Was it a tradie ute ?
    How much did it tow each day?
    How many kms are on the clock ?

Only suggesting this as dp is a tradie and tows 1.5 tonne every day.

If it's got 300,000km on it and say it's 7/8 yrs old I'd stay away from it. Likely hood it's an ex tradie that towed a lot of weight which puts pressure on the suspension and brakes.

If it towed a trailer was the trailer braked which is actually better and less strain on the car

We have 2013 Colorado ute it's already got 80k on the clock and we've replaced the suspension to beef it up and will be replacing the brakes in the next few months
    Thanks! Df has been looking at Utes for so long. When we first decided we would buy one and I read him this and wanted to say thanks! Couple of things he didn't really think of. Such a big decision for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Also check that it has child restraint anchor points. Lots of bigger Utes don't have them because they are rated as commercial vehicles.
    Good point! Didn't think of that. Df has said he doesn't mind if it's just a single cab ute but I'm kinda thinking duel cab or nothing. Otherwise we can't all fit in together and that would be silly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anymore opinions? I'd love any. Brutal honesty is fine lol. I don't know if we are just wanting to because we can (even though it would help)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would buy the car. Anf ensure there is anchor points.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Other thing I just remember if you go a 1.5 door check the back seats with boosters etc as there isn't much leg room at all. Ours is a full 2 door