+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just wanted to thank you, @Shoopuf, for asking this question. And also to all the wonderful ladies who responded with such detailed, considerate answers.

I am nearly 43, have struggled with IVF for over 3 years and am currently 20 weeks pregnant with our first baby. I must say, some of the responses in this thread were so kind that I was in floods of tears reading them.

What especially got me (aside from the hormones, lol) were the comments about "Enjoying every minute, hug your baby lots, look at their precious face, drink in the new baby smell etc."

The thing is, DH and I have spent so long trying to get pregnant that really we've just been going through the motions, and although theoretically I KNOW I'm pregnant and I've seen the scans...well, I've never really stopped to think about the fact that I'll be holding a baby at the end of this.

So thank you, to all of you. This is a thread I know I'll be back to read several times over

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (15-02-2017),gingermillie  (15-02-2017),JustJaq  (15-02-2017),MrsMummaButterfly  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is just my opinion with carrier/wraps.

Since this is your 1st maybe wait to see how bub is before getting a wrap/carrier.

With DS I got the ergo and he hated the infant insert. I ended up spending lots of time cuddling but since I did not have other kids etc I could just sit and cuddle.

When he got bigger he loved the ergo. And I have used it so so much.

When DD came along it was hard to hold/carry her and deal with DS. So I got a stretchy wrap. I was able to use this until she got big enough for the ergo.

So IMO you can wait until baby comes and then see if they like the carrier and you can try them in store (for structured ones like ergo/manduca).

Eta. I use my ergo daily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Be aware that you may not feel how you expect or think that you should.

Adjusting to parenthood can be really, really hard - no matter how much you have wanted it or how long you've waited.

It's okay to feel however you feel. Everyone's experience is different. Do whatever you need to look after yourself without worrying about what "should" be happening or what others are doing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (16-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shoopuf, if you don't have a network around you, definitely go along to your mothers group to build a network. No doubt you'll meet a lovely bunch of Mums to share your experiences with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd second the ergo. We had a baby Bjorn with DS and he hated it (and so did I, it hurt my back) but by the time DD came around I'd decided to get an ergo and it was the best decision ever. So comfortable for both of us, and I could even have her in it while I did things with DS or prepped dinner if necessary. If you travel, it was great for getting her through the airport and on and off the plane too. She was about 20 months old I think when we flew and it was so much easier than carrying her on my hip the whole time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the ergowrap as a stretchy wrap carrier. I may be wrong but I think stretchy wraps are mostly the same just a massive length of stretchy wrap fabric. The ergo was expensive $130 and there are cheaper ones or you might find a barely used one second hand cheaply.
    Like @twinklify I hated the ergo structured carrier with the infant insert when dd was tiny. I have the ergo performance structured carrier and it was fine from a few months old though. Dd is now 19 months and 12.5kg and LOVES it and we use it all the time so it was a good investment. She doesn't like the pram haha. The ergo performance version is lightweight and cooler fabric.
    Ergo is my favourite brand for carriers the seating position is so much better than many carriers (better for bubs hips) and for me with severe lower back and pelvis issues the ergo puts zero weight on my lower back so it's quite amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I practised my stretchy wrap with the cat, but a big teddy bear would work. Stretchy wraps are only really good until about 6 kg, then they start to sag.
    Carriers like ergo and Tula will fit newborn to toddler (need the insert for newborn), Lillebaby and Fidella Fusion will both fit newborn (ish) to toddler with no insert. Just google them and have a look at the websites and YouTube is a great resource for how to use baby carriers.
    Unfortunately you can't really buy them in shops except maybe the Ergo. But you can do a lot of research online and buy online.
    Im in love with my fidella fusion, my boy has been in it since about 6 weeks old, they are so pretty and soft and you only need to buy the 1 carrier (they are about $170)
    My advice with carriers is DO NOT buy the cheap crappy ones from the baby shops (eg: chicco, mothers choice) they are so uncomfortable. See if any of your friends have one you can try out or join a baby wearing group on FB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes the other practical advice I would have is to do chores etc while bub is awake so you can relax/sleep when he or she naps. I found my baby loved watching me put the washing on, hang it out, do the dishes etc. Sometimes he would sit in his swing or have tummy time but usually he would be on my hip. So it works well until they get really heavy haha but by then they are usually independent enough to crawl around the floor or play with toys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    I practised my stretchy wrap with the cat
    that's gold! I hope you took photos!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fi Poledancer View Post
    Oh yes the other practical advice I would have is to do chores etc while bub is awake so you can relax/sleep when he or she naps. I found my baby loved watching me put the washing on, hang it out, do the dishes etc. Sometimes he would sit in his swing or have tummy time but usually he would be on my hip. So it works well until they get really heavy haha but by then they are usually independent enough to crawl around the floor or play with toys.
    Yes! So this! They love watching you - DS sat in the pram and watched me vacuum and hang the washing yesterday. Nap time is strictly sitting down having a cuppa/sleep/watching TV/relaxing.