+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes frozen meals are worthwhile. For us dd was in hospital for 2 weeks after birth and I was in hospital 10 days so it was one less thing for DH to worry about coming frantically to and from hospital each day and then when we were all home it was a godsend to defrost a curry or pasta sauce or quiche. Fill that freezer. Less trips to the shops the better!
    Home made sausage rolls and quiches for lunch freeze well.
    Buy a wrap carrier. Saved my life when DH went back to work after a month and dd decided to become very unhappy and wouldn't be put down. For months
    I know everyone says sleep when baby sleeps I'm sorry but my baby never slept so that advice always made me feel like sh!t. It's ok if your baby doesn't sleep. It's hell but just do whatever you need to do to get through it and try different things wrapping techniques, sleeping bags, rockers, co-sleepers etc. also follow your instinct if you think something is wrong follow it up.
    Get a decent Paediatrician from the get-go - I've been quite disappointed in GP care for my dd and our paed is amazing and reassuring.
    I also couldn't let the house go to sh!t as it made me feel exponentially worse so what I'm saying is find your own way it's ok to still want to clean up
    Get as much as you can done in the mornings as afternoons/evenings are generally harder.
    If you're planning to breastfeed buy a pack of medela nipple shields and a pack of hydrogel breast discs. The hydrogel will amazingly heal any cracks/sore spots and if you get bad pain the shields are a lifesaver. Have contact details for a lactation consultant handy and call them early if you're struggling. Invest in a decent chair to sit in - you'll be sitting a lot!!
    I wish someone had shown me these resources when dd was tiny. I really had no bl00dy clue what I was doing! The wrapping video - my dd LOVED being wrapped like that and could not get her arms out at all.
    https://www.babydoc.com.au/faq/colic...baby-to-sleep/
    http://www.ngala.com.au/files/files/...p_A4_2012b.pdf
    http://youtu.be/5K4VdZxwsu4
    http://purplecrying.info
    All the best @Shoopuf having a new baby is amazing in so many ways

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

CcegG  (15-02-2017),Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Tips to help prepare for life with a newborn :)

Might sound odd, but practice putting your pram up and down and into the boot (if you can lift it at the moment), getting familiar with the car seat/baby capsule helps too. I remember needing to take bub out and was all hormonal and flustered as I couldn't remember how to do the pram, which sounds silly, but my pram was a in two parts.

Same with slings or baby carriers. Familiarise yourself with how they go, as some can be a bit tricky when it's all unfamiliar.

Make sure you stock up on maternity pads now, especially if on special.

For nursing (if you do it) buy some hydrogel discs, nipple pads and lansinoh, so you have it at the ready in case you need it.

Try and do a big grocery shop before bub arrives. Stock up on things that you usually would just pop down the road to get, as spontaneous shopping errands will most likely be on the back burner once bub arrives.

Have some nice pj's, sounds funny, but there may be days where you don't get dressed and pj's that double as outerwear are great!

Lastly, go with the flow, don't be hard on yourself. You and Bub will both be working things out as you go along, and there are no hard and fast rules. Take each day as it comes and then you won't beat yourself up if you think you haven't done something 'right'.

All the best, so happy for you, such an amazing and exciting time ahead for you.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 13-02-2017 at 13:24.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (13-02-2017),kuwtk  (15-02-2017),Lillac  (13-02-2017),Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes @Mod-Uniquey that's another thing! If you are BF then button up comfy pjs are awesome for middle of the night feeds to still keep you warm. Sussan normally have nice ones. Also a zip up hoodie with a maternity singlet underneath makes feeding easy and comfy
    Some nice soft maternity crop tops for the early days are a good investment too - target make really nice ones in a 2 pack for $25. I couldn't wear a bra for about 6 months as they gave me blocked ducts so the crop tops were awesome.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The ladies have given great advice already but I'll add a couple of more things I've found useful :

*If you're going to breastfeed, it may be painful and hard at the beginning. Your nipples may take a beating for a couple of weeks before it gets easier. Use Lanisoh ointment to help soothe your nipples.

*The baby may want to feed a lot a few days after being born so you may find yourself breastfeeding around the clock. It's also okay to use formula. I've given formula top ups to both my babies with no problems.

*Babies tend to get night and day confused so they may sleep long hours during day and be wide awake or unsettled during night.

* look up the baby 'witching hours' where a baby is unsettled for hours on end. This is normal baby behaviour

* in case you don't have it already the book 'Baby Love' by Robyn Barker is very helpful and answers lots of questions about all things baby.

* you may be bleeding and in some pain for weeks after the birth. Get lots of maternity pads and use Ural.

Good luck.. it's exciting times ahead.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillac For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big yes to the advice for nice PJs and I would add a nice robe. Either a summer one or warm winter one (or both if you can) as PJs are perfectly acceptable day ware with a newborn! And it's great to just chuck a robe on if you have visitors.

You'll get spewed on a lot too so a few basic singlets/tops for changes would be good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first almost a year ago now. PP's have some fantastic advice. I always have pre cooked meals in freezer especially soups which are great but hubby is also a passionate and great cook so that department was catered for.
    YES! Accept help in any form. If your BFing and you can pump milk do it! It has been a great help to me as we were mid renovations and couldn't have bub in the house all the time (fumes etc) and i have a close friend who was more than happy to look after baby.
    Snacks, yes. I was so hungry all the time. Little nibbles are great.
    Bub slept in our room for a few months, (in cot) and that was okay. She was a good sleeper, not much advice there.
    Lots of burp blankets. I underestimated how much sick could come out and ended up using a lot of her muslin wraps as spew rags. Lol.
    Oh and thank the gods and Woolworths for online shopping. Absolute must. Seriously.
    Follow your instincts. There is nothing better. DH went on and on and on at me during pregnancy, "I've had kids before, I've got this many kids I know I know blah blah blah".... I listened. Of course. I took it all in. He was wrong in lots of cases. Every baby is different and every mother knows their baby. 😁
    Yes, get a carrier. I used mine like a trouper. Every. Day. It was great. EBay. Could change from sling to back pack to front pack, fantastic head and neck support for her when she was little and still fits in it now!
    Lots of trackie pants and comfy singlets. I have a pair of fancy light weight pants that I lived in. Sleep in and wear out. All good.
    Get a pump. My boobs hurt sooooooo bad if bub slept a bit longer than normal and I just needed that little bit of a let down to ease the pressure. I can't say I had any problems with sore breast or weird bleeding (shorter than normal, 4 weeks and stop.) so cant be much help there.
    Try not to stress too much about germs. It does your head in and in most cases it's unnecessary.
    Enjoy it. Really really enjoy it.
    Ps, in my experience rice, pasta and potatoes do not freeze well at all.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CountryMumkin For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you don't want one of your frozen dinners, figure out when your baby's most settled time is or their longest sleep (mine was my daughters first sleep of the day) and that's when I'd prep my lunch, even if it was a vegemite sandwich in glad wrap, and that nights dinner. It's terrible when bub is screaming and wants to be fed and you're starving for lunch - at least you can grab your sandwich and eat it while you feed bub. Also prioritize your breakfast! So many times I'd think "I'll just put this load of washing on, I'll just wash these dishes before breakfast" then next minute she'd be crying and I'd missed my window for breakfast. For me, my milk supply really suffered if I didn't eat enough which led to a very very unsettled baby so this time around I will be incredibly conscious of taking time to prep food for the day so I have no excuse not to eat!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also think try not to have too many expectations. I didn't find the first few weeks too challenging, I was in a love bubble. My baby 'woke up' around week 3 and it got a little harder then, but then we cruised along til he was about 4 months and had a sleep regression. After that, the next 'rough patch' was just after he turned one when he had a grumpy period after his needles. I suppose what I'm saying is that a lot of people talk about how hard the first part is but that's not the truth for everyone. Just be open-minded and take each day as it comes

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi...I found first year was actually easiest.

Take naps when baby naps...do house work when baby naps.

I never froze food but just bought easy food things you can put in oven...salads and stir frys.

Ask family to bring over some meals.

But generally you will be so happy that could be any easy period.

Also...ask friends or family who are sick not to visit...strange but most people will want to come with a cough...also..if it doest suit you ask people to come once baby is bigger.

And one thing I did was feed formula at night..baby and I both slept ...did this after a week.
    All the best.

Butterfly
    X

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Butterfly Baby For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I've just come back to this thread, and there are so many amazing tips in here!! Thank you all so much for taking the time to share these!

I'm definitely going to stock up on essentials - great idea! Even without a baby, there's nothing worse than having to go to the supermarket for toilet paper or toothpaste when it's literally the only thing you need to buy

I also love the idea of a travel mug to keep my tea warm. Genius!

Yesterday I cooked enough main meals and side dishes to last about a month's worth of dinners and froze them (and then nearly died from exhaustion ). I think I'll do the shredded meat thing too, so that I can easily create a meal from nothing if necessary. Next week I might do a load of soups and lunch-type things as well

Someone suggested practising using the baby things - that's great advice! I actually got a chance to use heaps of it (pram, car seat, bouncer, cot, portacot, change table etc) about a week ago when my friend brought her 6 month old DS to stay with us for a couple of weeks. It was definitely helpful to figure these things out in advance, because some of them were really tricky!!!

Thanks to those who suggested a wrap carrier ... I'm definitely interested in this but currently feeling completely out of my depth with which to buy. Are they all basically the same or are some safer or more comfortable than others?

Also, thanks @gingermillie for the resources! I haven't had a chance to look through them yet, but I've no doubt they will be extremely helpful

I don't have any family or close friends here, so doubt I'll have visitors to help out, but in a way I think that's maybe a good thing because I'll be able to do my own thing and really get the hang of understanding what baby needs and when without interruption

Thanks again for all the awesome ideas, and for the well wishes and lovely thoughts

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Californication  (15-02-2017),CountryMumkin  (15-02-2017),Mod-Uniquey  (18-02-2017),MrsMummaButterfly  (15-02-2017),Yogis Mumma  (15-02-2017)