+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips to help prepare for life with a newborn :)

We are expecting our first next month, and I am starting to feel like I should be making the most of all the time I have on my hands now, doing things to make life easier for when baby arrives.

As it's our first, we don't really know what to expect, but everyone says the first 12 weeks or so are really challenging, so if there's anything I can do now to make life easier then, I want to give it a go!

So far I'm planning to cook and freeze some meals ... has anyone else done this? Was it helpful or a waste of time and/or money? Any suggestions for healthy things that freeze and defrost well would be amazing too (bonus points for ideas with no tomato based sauces - DH is averse to tomato in any form haha).

Is there anything else I could do now to make life easier then?

Thanks for any input!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My biggest advice to you is to accept the first 3+ months are sleepless and both filled with joy and difficult times. We often get caught up in what they 'should' be doing. They should be sleeping through the night, should be bfing. Should be bigger/less clingy. Just go with the flow and let your bubba guide you.

And so pleased for you, I know what you've gone through to get here. Take a big deep breath hun, everything is going to be fine and you are going to be a great mumma.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (13-02-2017),frankie46  (13-02-2017),JR03  (13-02-2017),Lillac  (13-02-2017),Renn  (13-02-2017),Shoopuf  (15-02-2017),softshellcrab  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely cook and freeze. Kr organise meal delivery for at least a month or two.

Have lots of healthy snacks. If BF you will probably be hungry all the time and need things that are easy to eat one handed. Things like muffins, bliss balls (can be frozen).

Pretty much make bulk meals that you eat and freeze it. The only uncooked thing I froze was marinated chicken drumsticks/wings as they were so easy to throw in the oven.

If you are someone who uses a slow cooker prep all your ingredients in zip lock bags (I do meat separate) and it can easily be thrown into the slow cooker for dinner.

I made a lot of tomato dishes though.

Oh and soup. If yoir DH considers soup a lunch/main meal.

Lastly similar to slow cooker suggestion. Marinate meat/vegetables and freeze for quick stir fries.

I did not freeze pasta/rice (it is easy to make anyway).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh and if you have a clingy bubs then get a wrap.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    And I froze about 2 weeks worth of dinners with DS2 and it was a life saver. Def worth the time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I made and froze and about a months worth of meal. But we also had meals brought to us by friends aswell as I had c-sec, dp only took 2.5 days off (self employed) and my folks went away a few days later (planned before I was pregnant).

Casseroles
    Spaghetti
    Butter chicken (very very mild though)
    Apricot chicken
    Sausage rolls for lunch
    Honey mustard chicken
    Soups- pumpkin, vegetable, chicken

Stock up on baby wipes. I've got enough for about 12 months (fabulous Groupon special on huggies)

Making quick one pot dinners like stir fry's are good. Prepare in the morning and easy cooking later

The first few months are hard so no point in lying about that. But you guys have been through a lot to get to this stage.

Best advice is sleep when baby sleep. Keep a clothes basket in the babies room for dirty laundry at the end of day whack the load on so it doesn't build up or when dh gets home from work get him to put the load on and to hang it out.

Online grocery shopping will be your friend. Create an account and put your basics item permanently in your basics

I did a massive shop a month before ds was born last July. Spent around $600 on things like loo paper which I've only just run out of. Cleaning products, long life products that don't go out of date

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017),Yogis Mumma  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing. Loving these ideas so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Prepare yourself a cosy breastfeeding nook, somewhere you can put a bottle of water, snacks, tissues & burp cloths. Choose a good book for reading. Be aware that breastfeeding can be hard & painful, but it passes.

Put burp cloths in your living room easy to reach.

Get a baby carrier.

Accept help! Visitors can be put to work.

Tap into support services if you need them - ring ABA, your health nurse, your Mum, other Mums.

Be prepared for the highest of highs but the lowest of lows. But every day is 1 step closer to the 3 month mark.

Read about the 4th trimester.

Rest whenever you can.

But best of all, snuggle the hell out of that beautiful bubba. Babies want to be with their Mumma/Dadda, they want to be ON them. Get Dad doing skin to skin with shirt off too - great for bonding. Pop your fave movie on & let bubba have a sweet little sleep on you.

Enjoy it, nothing in the world like becoming a Mummy for the first time!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017),Yogis Mumma  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was so pleased when I saw your news. I too remember you from a few years ago

Meals are definitely worth doing. I second the slow cooker, soups and things that are quick and easy. Get DH cooking once Bub comes too if he doesn't already. I was lucky with DS as DH was working 6:30am-4pm so he cooked nearly every night before baby anyway (I didn't get home from work until 6pm or later). So while I did meals beforehand, we spaced them out and he still cooked half the week as well even though I was home.

Stock up on essentials now. Like a PP said, a few big grocery shops are helpful as will save you having to go in those first weeks and also better to get extra before maternity leave and less $$.

Forget about housework for a while, or get a cleaner/DH to do it. Don't try to keep the place spotless. Like Del said, sleep can be hard to come by and when baby naps during the day, you should too.

Not really a tip to prepare, but enjoy the hours looking at their sweet little face and drinking in that fresh baby smell. I lost hours looking at mine!

Get some cloth nappies - the big old fashioned square ones. They are awesome for putting over your shoulder to burp baby and handy for cleaning them up if they do a big power spew.

Ask visitors to call/text first. There's nothing worse than be trying to feed or have just gotten baby down and there's a knock on the door. Especially if that knock wakes them!

If you're a tea/coffee drinker, get yourself a nice travel mug or one with a lid. It means you have more chance of having your beverage hot and not reheating it 15 times

And my biggest piece of advice is to master the smile and nod. People will offer you all sorts of advice and some will even be happy to tell you bluntly all they think you are doing wrong. Even the well meaning "well my baby was...." can get a bit much. Sometimes the advice is great, so if you think it will work, try it. If it's 20 years out of date or just not suited to your family/baby/lifestyle, just smile, nod, say thank you and ignore it. If someone is persistent (especially with outdated advice) I used to say "well my Dr/Midwife/CHN said this is the best information right now" and it usually stopped it.

But most of all, trust yourself. You will know your baby better than anyone else. It will take a little while to figure out all their cues, and as they grow they will change them without warning, but it's all part of the fun.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I just remembered.

I make teriyaki chicken in the slow cooker (as in 1kg chicken breast that was slow cooked with the sauce then shredded and frozen in zip lock bags. Then I used them with steamed veg/rice etc.

I actually made shredded beef and pork. Can be used in so many things too.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (15-02-2017)