+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 year old has absolutely no attention span!

Help, Im going crazy! My DS is in year 1 this year and homework / reading is an absolute nightmare. Its not that he hates it and refuses to do it. He will start his home work without any fuss but he cannot focus on anything! He will write one letter down and then is eyes wonder, he lays down, moves around, starts counting all the words, tries to say the words backwards, you name it! He can't focus on the task he is meant to do. Every time I feel myself getting angry, I walk away and come back when I'm calm. It takes us at least 40 minutes to get through the first page of a book! He CAN read, he just doesn't show attention to what he is meant to be reading. If he just put in 10 minutes of focus, we could smash out his home work in a quarter of the time. Something that should take 15 minutes, takes hours! I've tried bribes, I've tried getting him excited about it, I've tried everything. His teachers say the same thing. "He gets very easily distracted" "He is just excited and wants to chat"
    Is there anything I haven't tried that works?

I should probably add, its not just school work, its everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My ds was like this in prep and just got labeled naughty.

At the end of term 1, his grade 1 teacher mentioned she thought he had some sensory issues. Needing to move his body around, leaning/resting on certain surfaces, fidgeting and an inability to concentrate on anything beyond a span of 5 minutes.

We saw an occupational therapist who diagnosed him with sensory processing disorder, he is a sensory seeker. We did about 6 months worth of OT, a course of vision therapy and have certain tools for the classroom (fidget toys, hokki stool).

His reading jumped 15 levels in a short amount of time after we got him doing the OT, his handwriting and fine motor skills improved out of sight and he can now focus and concentrate on things for a lot longer periods of time.

He's still chatty and cheeky but so so much better than he was.

Thanks
    Reviews

Last edited by bezzy; 13-02-2017 at 14:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This sounds like my dd, she is also ADHD, is a nightmare and I hate homework. She was medicated for a while but I found the side effects outweighed the benefit. We just try and do what we can. I feel your pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies. I could be looking too far into it but I don't want to miss something, if it is important. Its already effecting his school life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm going to go against the grain here. He's 6 years old. He is behaving like a perfectly normal 6 year old boy.

If you know he can read then offer him something he WANTS to read. Find what he is interested in and read that. Pick a time when he is receptive. At the end of a long day of school he may be tired - it's only the first weeks of school.

Homework has limited to no value in primary school - this not just my opinion. Perhaps discuss with his teacher about not doing it every day or at all.

Learning should be fun. Now is the time to instil a love of learning. Pressuring him when it is not developmentally appropriate will have the opposite effect.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (13-02-2017),Full House  (14-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (14-02-2017),Maia  (13-02-2017),Redcorset  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You just described my DS... He's now 8 1/2 lol.

Have you spoken with his teachers? DS required wiggle chairs, participation in move to learn program and we also combined 'super singlets'.

We also learnt that homework straight after school was pointless. After play or first thing in the morning was better.

Lollypops or chewing gum while doing homework helped with the figets and concentration.

Come year two I told his teacher we would be reading our own library books and recording those and not the school readers as they were killing both our passion of reading, slowly and painfully.

He's still only six and learning how to control his body and what expectations are. It takes time, chat with his teachers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain here. He's 6 years old. He is behaving like a perfectly normal 6 year old boy.

If you know he can read then offer him something he WANTS to read. Find what he is interested in and read that. Pick a time when he is receptive. At the end of a long day of school he may be tired - it's only the first weeks of school.

Homework has limited to no value in primary school - this not just my opinion. Perhaps discuss with his teacher about not doing it every day or at all.

Learning should be fun. Now is the time to instil a love of learning. Pressuring him when it is not developmentally appropriate will have the opposite effect.
    DS1 goes through stages where he won't read the school reader but loves to pick a home book.

DH is an extremely poor reader. His mother complains that she could never get him to do homework but he tells me if she had of made it interesting or relevant he would have tried harder.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 8 now . At 6 he wouldn't read at all . He was defiantly bright enough to but he has high functioning ASD part of which is a sensory thing . He was always yawning and rubbing his eyes.
    We took him to an irlen clinic and whilst he couldn't get a diagnosis there and then as he was wanting to leave and causing a fuss it's something I will look into . People with irlen disorder cannot read black and white text , for some people the words don't sit still on the page , they jump around visually or are blurred . The irlen practitioner uses clear colored plastic sheets to see what color the person can read better with and then creates special lenses for reading . Google it . Because if he is having an issue with focussing on the words and trying to see through blur or distortion it's worth ruling out . I will take my son back at some point although I doubt he has this now as he is now reading better and more willing .

Just thought I should mention it to you .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Agree with @binnielici.

My first thought when reading your post was "6 year olds get homework now?!?"
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 14-02-2017 at 07:45.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (14-02-2017)