+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Annual leave

For those working FT/PT - how do you use your annual leave? Just for school holidays? Or save it up for one big break?

I'd only ever worked casual jobs until I got my current PT role about 1.5 yrs ago. With DD starting school this year I've saved up most of my annual leave to be able to cover holidays this year (will look into vacation care next year probably) but with all the holidays they have (so many!!!) it's going to feel like I'm coming back from one period of leave and applying for another Which I'm totally ok with of course! Just wondering how others choose to utilise it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My husband gets 7 weeks per year (4 standard plus 2 extra for shift working and 1 extra for remote area). The plan is he is going to take them for the 3 lots of school holidays that are during the year and then the week he has left over he will just use during the Christmas break. Doesn't always turn out like that as it's first in best dressed with holidays, but we'll try.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 2 week shut down over Xmas / NY so have to use some of it then. And then it's just when I need a day off here and there. I'm not to fussed about saving it, I figure I can take leave without pay if needed. I'm only working part time so not using much of my leave as I have so many days off anyway. When I was full time I'd use it all the time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only school holidays so far. I think its a pretty common time for parents to take leave in the holiday breaks so dont stress too much about it looking bad.

The only issue can be that you may have to share the holidays around your team if everyone else in your team has similar aged kids and you work in the type of team that always has to have somebody there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DynamiteandaLazerBeam For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have never used my annual leave for school holidays. When I worked day shift I used vacation care. Now I work night shift I am home anyway with kiddo whether I am sleeping or not.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where I work you're only allowed to take two weeks leave during school holidays (this is to make it fair for everyone as they employ thousands), so I don't take mine in school holidays. I request mid week off (which means I work every weekend in the holidays), but it means I get 2-3 days off during the week with the kids, DH has them on weekends, and then he either works from home on the other days or we get a babysitter.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a lot of animosity in my work place for people who only take school holidays off. It's usually only the same few people who complain but it's usually because they have grandkids they want to see during holidays but cant because the parents in the workplace have already booked the holidays off.

Ours will be a mix but I fully expect my kids to spend a fair amount of time in Vacation care during their school years.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zelda For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to do a mix.
    I didn't have DD then and we only had the kids 4 nights a fortnight and half of all school hols.

So I would take 3 days each school holidays, H would take 1 that aligned so we were both off a day to do a family thing. The other 2 days the kids would go to Vacation Care.
    Summer was trickier as I had to take the 2 weeks that my work was closed for and that was it, so on our xmas I would have the 2 weeks surrounding xmas off, but nothing else. Luckily when you split it, it meant the kids only did a week of vac care as I'd have 2 off and the other bits were weekends.
    On our off year the kids were in Vac Care for the entire time

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really interesting responses, thanks for your input everyone!

In the time since I posted this, DP is actually thinking of leaving his 9-5 job in the corporate world and expanding his small business (playing / teaching music) which would mean he wouldn't be working school holidays! So I'd get more flexibility with leave - my hours are spread over 5 days which makes it tricky for holidays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am a teacher so I am fortunate enough to not need vacation care but my kids go anyway a couple of days a week as they love it! They pick the activity they want to do.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (26-02-2017)