+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Spin off what have you had packed together at the supermarket

Back in the day ( nearly 20 years ago ) I was a checkout chick. I was trained what goes together ( but it's also common sense).
    Some rules I was taught.

-Chicken seperate
    -meat separate
    -Cold stuff together
    -Bread either on it's own or on top of stuff that won't move and squash it ( I often put with eggs ( eggs at bottom) so people knew to be careful)
    - cleaning supplies on their own
    - hard fruits and veggies together
    -soft fruits and veggies together
    - tins together but don't overload the bag

I've had combinations of soft fruit with tins, meat, cleaning products, bread with tins and chicken.. the list goes on
    What's your Pet hate

Thanks
    Reviews
    We always do two trolley loads at a time. We go to a lot of effort to make all the cold stuff go together on the conveyer as when we get to the car we have two big eskies for it all to go into and it takes long enough as it is, so want all the cold stuff together. Most people do alright but there are some that just seem to grasp it and the cold stuff ends up everywhere, through everything.

Also, putting 3x 2L bottles in one bag. They always break. Not really relevant to us anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Back in the day ( nearly 20 years ago ) I was a checkout chick. I was trained what goes together ( but it's also common sense).
    Some rules I was taught.

-Chicken seperate
    -meat separate
    -Cold stuff together
    -Bread either on it's own or on top of stuff that won't move and squash it ( I often put with eggs ( eggs at bottom) so people knew to be careful)
    - cleaning supplies on their own
    - hard fruits and veggies together
    -soft fruits and veggies together
    - tins together but don't overload the bag

I've had combinations of soft fruit with tins, meat, cleaning products, bread with tins and chicken.. the list goes on
    What's your Pet hate
    Omg you are my dream checkout operator.

My thing is meat separate. So much so either or one of the kids ask for it everytime we shop. We also rearrange the bag there and than of they don't listen.

Hubby put things on the belt in what he wants in a bag.

Actaully all my family have certain orders they like things to go on the belt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post

Also, putting 3x 2L bottles in one bag. They always break. Not really relevant to us anymore.
    Oh yes this too. If i see it i fix it at checkout and just say that it will break while we carrying into the house if it that heavy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We must have done the same training!

For my own groceries though I'm not as fussed as it's a 5 min drive home. I just don't like my bread squashed or meat with fruit/veg. Or hot BBQ chicken with the cold stuff. And I hate it when they use too many bags! I bring reusable ones but sometimes need 1-2 plastic ones but often end up with 4-5 plastic ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bags too heavy is my thing. But I just ask for them to be light and say that the toddler at home likes to help carry them in. Light bags also mean things are packed better lol

Eggs is my other one - I always put them on the belt last, but instead of being put in a separate bag to go on top of the trolley they get put on top of the last bag. Often on top of the bread. Grr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Having also worked as a checkout chick, I try to make their job easier by putting everything on the conveyer belt in groups of how they should be packed, so it frustrates me when they reach for something that doesn't belong in that bag (cleaning products with food etc).
    The worst I've probably seen was putting the egg carton sideways with a 3L milk đŸ™„

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I put like-items together on the conveyer. Heavy/hard items first so they are at the bottom of the trolley and don't squash things.

I don't mind items getting mixed as long as there's not much chance of contamination.

I don't like 2 items in one bag just to keep it separate (except meat)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was a "checkout chick" back in the day too, probably about the same time you were, and was trained the same way, they were very pedantic about it. I still can't help myself now. I either self serve and pack groceries myself. Or I unpack them on the belt the way I want them in the bags and hope for the best haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I place the items in groups of how I want them packed. I even make sure there is an area around each group which makes it pretty obvious I want them packed separately. Which items are packed with which within the group, I don't care - as long as they don't do stupid things like put the oranges on top of the kiwifruit. I always leave the eggs and bread to the very end so its always the last thing going in the trolley.