+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default DS development concerns

I have posted about my concerns with DS in the past (mostly about language delay) but recently some additional issues have come up. To summarize, he:

- has only a handful of single words
    - gets frustrated very easily
    - gets fixated on objects/toys at home and at daycare and can't tolerate other kids touching them
    - will hit, push, bite, pull hair if another child disturbs him or touches a favourite item
    - doesn't play with toys as intended (will tip a toy truck over and spin the wheels)
    - has very broken sleep, sometimes awake for 1-3hrs in the middle of the night wanting to play
    - flaps when excited or upset
    - doesn't do imaginative play

He is 2.5yo. He is very affectionate with me and DH and all his grandparents. His gross motor is good and in some areas he is ahead of his peers.

We have done speech therapy on and off, is has been difficult to find someone who is good with him and can make progress who is also available. We found a great one who was making a difference and now she's fully booked!

I guess I'm looking for anyone who has had similar concerns and what action you took. What helped? Was there an ASD diagnosis or other diagnosis?

I have no idea what getting him help will look like. We see his Paed in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default DS development concerns

Does he play with other kids often??

TBH, he sounds like a regular 2.5yo.

My DS just turned 3, up till 4 months ago he was stammering and stuttering, which left me quite concerned. Now, he's a little chatterbox. He just couldn't form the sounds properly and that's now resolved itself.

Fwiw, my kid also hits or bites, and it's been a very conscious effort by us to stop him from doing that. Doesn't want to share? Straight to the naughty corner.

Is this your first child? He just sounds like a regular boy. The tipping of trucks over is what all 3 of mine did, until they noticed or were shown what to do. And they quickly lose interest if they are playing alone.

Good luck

Eta: I'm not dismissing your concerns, you do know your child best xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Cue  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Does he play with other kids often??

TBH, he sounds like a regular 2.5yo.

My DS just turned 3, up till 4 months ago he was stammering and stuttering, which left me quite concerned. Now, he's a little chatterbox. He just couldn't form the sounds properly and that's now resolved itself.

Fwiw, my kid also hits or bites, and it's been a very conscious effort by us to stop him from doing that. Doesn't want to share? Straight to the naughty corner.

Is this your first child? He just sounds like a regular boy. The tipping of trucks over is what all 3 of mine did, until they noticed or were shown what to do. And they quickly lose interest if they are playing alone.

Good luck
    He's been going to daycare for almost 2yrs now, 3 days a week. We also regularly see friends with similar aged kids. He's my second child, DD is 5 and was slow to start talking but by this age she was picking up new words every day.

I'm sure some of it is normal, toddlers think everything belongs to them! But daycare have raised concerns over the intensity of his fixation and his difficulty playing with others and I guess it has me worried. They showed me some videos and it's quite hard to watch, it's hard to explain really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post

- has only a handful of single words
    - gets frustrated very easily
    - gets fixated on objects/toys at home and at daycare and can't tolerate other kids touching them
    - will hit, push, bite, pull hair if another child disturbs him or touches a favourite item
    - doesn't play with toys as intended (will tip a toy truck over and spin the wheels)
    - has very broken sleep, sometimes awake for 1-3hrs in the middle of the night wanting to play
    - flaps when excited or upset
    - doesn't do imaginative play
    Ok he is quite young but I did notice things from very early on with my eldest son and about 2 with my next son, both have asd.

Is fixated the same as obsessed? Does he carry these things with him all the time?
    Spinning wheels might be normal for toddlers but both my sons did this. They were very fascinated with the wheels only on some things. Especially bigger toys they could spin the wheels easily on.
    The waking in the night is a red flag to me. My eldest son never did this but my younger son did a few times. Is he tired the next day? My younger asd son seems to just run on and on. He can go so long on much less sleep than a typical kid.
    Flapping, is this every time he's excited? Flapping is a very common stim for asd kids. Both my sons do this. And bouncing up and down.
    The imaginative play is a bit neither here or there. It's early for boys to be doing that at 2.
    Maybe if he was a year older and not starting to role play I would wonder.

Does he call you mummy/mum? Or his dad?
    When my son got to this same age and hadn't called me mum I really started to realise something was up.
    I have a daughter the same age now. She is showing some signs of asd. She doesn't call me mummy or her dad daddy. She is quite a bit different to her brother but also a lot is the same.

I think it's worth looking into for your boy.
    Hope I'm making some sense, trying to get miss 2 to sleep lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh sorry yeh with my first son this was back in 2001. He's just turned 18. He is also intellectually impaired. I always knew he was different but everyone just kept telling me he was shy. Well he was cos he had massive anxiety! He got his diagnosis at age 7. Much much too late. Back then where I lived autism was rare.
    My second son was 4 when he was diagnosed. Also a bit late. I kept thinking he was just a bit behind for a while because he was different to my eldest son. That was because he isn't intellectually impaired just asd. Maybe I was also in denial?

We did some speech therapy which he didn't like. We did OT for a good while which sort of helped. It became too expensive when the funding ran out for us.
    He's doing ok. We home educate to accomodate him.
    I think the earlier you can start with helping them the better. Some kids need a lot of help some only a little. Parents need just as much help as the kids.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Cue  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    He's been going to daycare for almost 2yrs now, 3 days a week. We also regularly see friends with similar aged kids. He's my second child, DD is 5 and was slow to start talking but by this age she was picking up new words every day.

I'm sure some of it is normal, toddlers think everything belongs to them! But daycare have raised concerns over the intensity of his fixation and his difficulty playing with others and I guess it has me worried. They showed me some videos and it's quite hard to watch, it's hard to explain really.
    Fair enough.

It's hard not to worry. I hope all is ok

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Cue  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would mention it to your paed and I wouldn't be brushing it off as normal behaviour. It doesn't sound normal to me, and if daycare are concerned then I wouldn't be ignoring it. Good luck.
    ETA - Sorry, I wrote in a hurry and my post sounds harsh which is not my intention. Hopefully it's nothing, but early intervention is the best if it is asd, so for that reason alone I wouldn't be leaving it to see if it gets better.
    Last edited by Full House; 13-02-2017 at 06:24.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Cue  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Big hugs Hun. DD1 is similar. Childcare are writing up a letter of their observations of her for me to take to the paed as they we are all thinking asd.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Cue  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Ok he is quite young but I did notice things from very early on with my eldest son and about 2 with my next son, both have asd.

Is fixated the same as obsessed? Does he carry these things with him all the time?
    Spinning wheels might be normal for toddlers but both my sons did this. They were very fascinated with the wheels only on some things. Especially bigger toys they could spin the wheels easily on.
    The waking in the night is a red flag to me. My eldest son never did this but my younger son did a few times. Is he tired the next day? My younger asd son seems to just run on and on. He can go so long on much less sleep than a typical kid.
    Flapping, is this every time he's excited? Flapping is a very common stim for asd kids. Both my sons do this. And bouncing up and down.
    The imaginative play is a bit neither here or there. It's early for boys to be doing that at 2.
    Maybe if he was a year older and not starting to role play I would wonder.

Does he call you mummy/mum? Or his dad?
    When my son got to this same age and hadn't called me mum I really started to realise something was up.
    I have a daughter the same age now. She is showing some signs of asd. She doesn't call me mummy or her dad daddy. She is quite a bit different to her brother but also a lot is the same.

I think it's worth looking into for your boy.
    Hope I'm making some sense, trying to get miss 2 to sleep lol
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not sure I'd call it 'obsessed', as he might be really attached to something one day and then not care about it the next. This behaviour is mostly happening at daycare. In a video they showed me, another child picked up a toy that DS had been playing with earlier and DS got really upset - he started off crying and then followed the child around for ages trying to get it off him. The carers tried to distract him but he wouldn't give up. At one point the other child fell over and cried and DS just went for the toy, zero empathy for the crying child. He eventually got the toy and then just sat by himself holding it and calmed right down. Apparently this can happen several times a day, other days he's totally fine. It's really hard to watch because I can feel his stress, he seems so agitated. And of course I feel bad because I don't want him hitting other children or making them upset.

When he has a bad night he's definitely tired the next day and his behaviour gets worse. He still has a day nap of roughly 2hrs.

The flapping always happens when he's excited, he does this a lot.

It's interesting that you say that about calling you mummy. DS says 'mummy' but it doesn't always refer to me. He uses it more as a word that means "someone help me with something". He never says daddy, and DDs name is very easy to say but he's never said it. If I say "where's daddy?" He might look at DH but he won't point to him. This lack of using names is actually the part of his speech delay that concerns me the most.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that he loves sensory things. He has a sleep toy with long floppy ears and he uses them to stroke his hands, face, or tummy to settle himself. Sometimes when we get home from daycare he'll run to his room, grab the toy and then lie on the floor stroking his face and tummy for a while. He also loves playing with water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Big hugs Hun. DD1 is similar. Childcare are writing up a letter of their observations of her for me to take to the paed as they we are all thinking asd.
    Our daycare did a development checklist on him and it was definitely an eye opener. We're lucky that they are so proactive - they are also organising an external person to come in and review the room, make recommendations on how to help him participate in the room more etc.