+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Missed miscarriage... waiting, waiting, waiting

Hello world, wish we were meeting on a happier topic.

I've been reading the many, many posts on missed miscarriages but nothing seems to quite match my story so far, I'm wondering if there are others out there in a similar boat?

My husband and I went in for our 12 week scan (first scan) two days before Christmas to be told they could not find a heartbeat and the sack and fetal pole looked to be about 5-6 weeks. Gut wrenching. It's our first pregnancy and I didn't even know this could happen (why does no one tell you these things?).

We managed to get into see a GP on Christmas eve and she recommended a D&C. Because of Christmas, all she could do for us was give us a list of Gyno/Obs in the area and tell us to ring around and see if anyone was open. The earliest we could get in was on the 9th Jan!

When we did go see the Gyno she insisted we wait it out. Said it was better to wait it out, said something about "mother nature" (cringe) and sent us on our way with 2 weekly blood tests to see if my HCG levels were falling.

Fast forward- it's now the start of what would have been my 20th week. This means it's been over three months since the baby stopped growing. My HCG levels have come down a little but not at all quickly (by less than half each fortnight!) and I've still not miscarried. All my Gyno will say is "patience is a virtue". Not feeling particularly virtuous- in any meaning of the word!

My questions are numerous but firstly, has anyone else had to wait this long? Has anyone had to wait longer? I'm going insane.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First off.... omg!!!! Why would they leave you this long? My heart is absolutely breaking for you. I got to 9 weeks and had the same as you. It had only grown to 6 weeks. My gyno gave me medication straight away to bring on the miscarriage. Had I have left it any longer I would have needed a d&c.

I would go to a different gyno if you can... I have never ever heard of this happening before. How traumatic for you. Sending you lots of hugs xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    You should definitely see someone else, you shouldn't be waiting that long to miscarry naturally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This seems terrible! I would be trying a different doctor and asking for a d and c now. I have had three miscarriages and my body seems to take a while to naturally expel them (meaning 2 weeks max)
    I of mine never expelled so we had a d and c- my doctor told me that it is dangerous to leave it in there due to infection.
    Please get another opinion.
    I feel so badly for you- this is terrible to be left waiting so long. You poor thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second all the above responses- please go see another gyno.
    A local hospital should also be able to treat you publicly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely see a different gyno, and ask for meidcine or a D & C. That is far too long to wait, IMO. I waited around a week for my miscarriage, and it was excruciating. I am so sorry for your loss and the long wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh gosh hun, I'm so sorry the gyno has sent you on your way to go through this 'naturally' wow! Are you close to a major hospital? If so go and see your GP and get a referral to the Early assessment Pregnancy unit at your local hospital. From there they can book you in for a D&C or medication. (I was given this advice from some amazing bubhubbers back in October/movement).From someone that has just recently been through this, I would push for the D&C. If you don't want to wait for the hospital appointment please head to the emergency department, considering how far along you should be, you shouldn't have to be going through this heartbreaking ordeal and replaying it each day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my goodness @Bumblebees. You poor thing. Please find a new doctor, as others have said here. I would also be asking for a D&C as I'm sure passing things naturally would be very very uncomfortable even back at 5/6 weeks, let alone now. Best of wishes to you and your DH hon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh Hun that's terrible . Yes definitely time for a different doc. You need to be able to move past this and heal, not be stuck in limbo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That is insane! My missed miscarriage was picked up at my 7 week scan, the baby was measuring 5 or 6 weeks and no heartbeat. They told me it was most likely a miscarriage but wanted me to have another scan 10 days later just to double check no heartbeat or growth before I booked in for a d&c, I ended up doing the scan a week later as the OB i had chosen for the potential d&c felt that was plenty of time. Scan showed the same thing and she booked me in for a d&c at her earliest available time. Her thoughts were that the pregnancy had obviously ended 2-3 weeks before and my body was showing no since of miscarrying so it was best to do the d&c as I my body probably wasn't going to do what it needed to. It's ridiculous that she's had you waiting 8 weeks since you found out! Definitely find a new dr. So sorry you've been in limbo so long! X