+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be upset too. At my daughter's school every child gets their own iPad. At first I was a bit hesitant of this, but now she has done one full year with it, I am amazed! The apps they have are all learning apps that I'd never heard of. The school owns the iPads so they control what can be installed and what can't. She understands that her school iPad is for learning. She has made some great stories using her voice recordings and drawing animations. Plus many other great things. But what your describing doesn't seem right, almost lazy? (The teacher). I'd definitely be bringing this up with the Principal.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally wouldn't be happy with my child using games on an Ipad for rewards at school, but then I also chose a school with very selective technology use in the classroom. In prep - grade 2, technology is mostly whole-class use. They use the smart whiteboard as a whole class or small groups, they use the see-saw app under the guidance of the teacher, and ipad use is very minimal, but limited to research and educational use, not games or rewards. I would recommend asking to see the technology policy of your school - that will tell you what is acceptable in the classroom for your school.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I think it's a very big deal and you are entitled to be upset. However it also depends on the technology policy of your school. If it is a mains.tream school then technology seems to be perfectly acceptable at a very young age and with a high level of useage. I think you can complain about the game as it is not age appropriate but not about the use of the iPad if this is the case.

If technology use is of significant concern to you perhaps look into a primary school with a low or no technology policy.

To those saying it is not a problem or it's ok to have high tech use in school - are you not concerned by what your children are learning to do with limited or no supervision? Because let's be honest a single teacher in a classroom of 20+ kids is not always watching. They may have filters and apps to stop access to certain things but it doesn't take much for a clue kid to get around most of that.
    Agree.

2nd week of prep and using iPads for rewards?? What will she resort to in term 4??? She hasn't left much room for herself to move.

2nd week!!!! Of their first school experience ever!!!!!

I'd be livid.

Take them outside, play red light with them, or something. Sheesh.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (13-02-2017),binnielici  (13-02-2017),Bluebirdgirl  (12-02-2017),just her chameleon  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read other replies but what happened to getting out side and learning to catch a ball or hoping through obstacles to learn coordination

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (13-02-2017),binnielici  (13-02-2017),misho  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have to say they do a very balanced play based learning there . Kids climb trees and have chickens . I don't have a problem with the school or teachers . Just that I didn't want my son introduced to these types of games yet . I spoke to her this morning and she said it's only ten minutes for fun and then they do other stuff . So it's ok . I have to move with the times . Thanks for all your replies xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I see it as, how is it different to kids learning to use desktop computers? Of course it's possible they won't use it as they're meant to, but that teaches them a lot about responsibility and what is right and wrong beyond just not hitting, kicking, swearing, being nasty to others. About how to act when you've been trusted with something.
    I agree - just don't think it's necessary in primary school and definitely not in prep. They just don't need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babynomad View Post
    I have to say they do a very balanced play based learning there . Kids climb trees and have chickens . I don't have a problem with the school or teachers . Just that I didn't want my son introduced to these types of games yet . I spoke to her this morning and she said it's only ten minutes for fun and then they do other stuff . So it's ok . I have to move with the times . Thanks for all your replies xxx
    Could you negotiate a different game?