+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not against games , I used to play on a sega mega drive for hrs when I was younger . It's just I wanted him to get reading down first . It's because i wasn't told I suppose . It's not what I wanted .

I might download temple run brave for him and let him bore himself to death on it and that might stop him getting so obsessed .

It's just not being asked and we were doing fine without it that's all 😄

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont think you are over reacting at all.

I work as an aide in a Grade 3/4 class. Last year the kids were obsessed with any form of technology and when we were using technology for learning purposes it was a constant battle keeping the kids on task as a probably half of the class would be logging into games (despite having strict controls there are lots of free games that could still be accessed). Instead of doing the work they were supposed to be doing (ie: typing up a report about information they were supposed to be researching) they would be googling Five Nights at Freddies or WWF or games or changing backgrounds etc. Free time on ipads and chromebooks was used as a reward and on days where we had indoor play the students were allowed to play on technology devices. It was insane, the kids were just out of control and so obsessed.

This year the teachers have changed tack and all technology is to be used for learning purposes only and they will not be used as a reward or during free time or indoor play. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. There is a strict rule that any use of technology for purposes other than learning will lead to a ban on using it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    See that interesting from your point of view actually being in a class . My son never freaks out he is quite mature and he was crying at school out of fustration because someone had a longer go. I just think it's not needed in very early primary . I like reading eggs and I think that's enough if they have iPads at school or something similar . Thanks for your insights .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I don't think you're overreacting about the game given the age limit, and I think you should say something to the teacher for sure (and then the Principal if you aren't satisfied with her response) but I think you're overacting about the use of the iPad.

It may not be your style of parenting to allow fun / non educational games on the iPad and you do have every right to tell the teacher no, not for your son, but I don't think you can ask the teacher to not use it at all. There are most likely other kids who use the iPad for non educational games and their parents won't have an issue, so you can't expect it's use to be removed for the entire class if the teacher and principal have okayed it because it doesn't suit your parenting choices.
    I agree with this. I wouldn't be happy for a game with that age limit for my prep kid, but iPads and computers are part of school life whether you like it or not, so I doubt you'd win any argument to not use them at all.

We have smart boards, iPads and from year 1, computers in our classrooms. They are used for various things, from YouTube videos for learning new songs, to saying you are in class, to activities, games, taking videos/photos to out on See-Saw, looking up information on whatever subject they are doing, etc etc.

I think they are the same as all new things - kids want them more because they are a novelty. Our kids have had devices since they were about 2 with educational apps. I added fun apps as they got older. DS went through a phase of wanting it all day long and we ended up putting it away for about a month when he was maybe 3. It was tantrum city, but he learnt it was for sometime play, not all day long play. He's not been as bad since (he's 7) and now I couldn't tell you the last time he played on his iPad. DD never played with hers as much as he did, and hers has been flat for about a month so that tells you how often she uses it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just wanted to add that through school, there will be many new things your kids will discover that you may not always agree with. DS is into Pokemon cards. I think they are a waste of money, but he loves it. They have a Pokemon club at school once a week and the kids go and swap cards. Some of his friends gave him some cards to start with and I relented and bought him 2 packs. He hasn't asked for more yet, but I told him I won't be buying him packs all the time. It's just his latest craze that may last weeks, months or years

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's that big a deal. Your son willingness to learn to read and write isn't ruined just because he likes this game. I think maybe it's just an interest that he's developed that you weren't anticipating and maybe don't approve of. I don't think it's a big deal at all.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's a very big deal and you are entitled to be upset. However it also depends on the technology policy of your school. If it is a mains.tream school then technology seems to be perfectly acceptable at a very young age and with a high level of useage. I think you can complain about the game as it is not age appropriate but not about the use of the iPad if this is the case.

If technology use is of significant concern to you perhaps look into a primary school with a low or no technology policy.

To those saying it is not a problem or it's ok to have high tech use in school - are you not concerned by what your children are learning to do with limited or no supervision? Because let's be honest a single teacher in a classroom of 20+ kids is not always watching. They may have filters and apps to stop access to certain things but it doesn't take much for a clue kid to get around most of that.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017),cheeeeesecake  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say I have no issue with iPads at all in school for learning . It's just I didn't want that type of game yet . My older son is in year two and I'm aware that in school there is always going to be things your not 100% happy with .

I downloaded the brave version for my son today . He has been playing on it on and off all day but the condition was every time he played he had to do ten Montessori words first . It's a phonics based thing and he was very happy with that arrangement . He has also been swimming and playing snakes and ladders so it's ok . I just have to accept its now not going to go away . But I still want to know what other games he will be introduced to .
    My oldest has autism and has really struggled and not reading properly yet at 8 so I guess I wanted them to find the joys in reading first .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    To those saying it is not a problem or it's ok to have high tech use in school - are you not concerned by what your children are learning to do with limited or no supervision? Because let's be honest a single teacher in a classroom of 20+ kids is not always watching. They may have filters and apps to stop access to certain things but it doesn't take much for a clue kid to get around most of that.
    No, right now I'm not concerned, but that will probably change as the kids get older and get more curious about things they see/hear in the playground etc. While they have iPads at home, they can't access the net and we will enforce strict parental controls as they get older and use the internet for homework etc.

My kids are in year 2 and pre-primary. From doing parent help, technology is used with supervision of either the teacher, the aid or a parent. I imagine that changes as the kids get older, but in pre-primary, they have 2 iPads in class that are used for group activities and they take turns under the guidance of the teacher. In year 1, it was rotating groups of 5 kids and the teacher was with the group on the computers doing research, the aid and I both did reading with our groups while the 4th group finished a craft activity. From what we were told, sites were limited to age appropriate things, and I assume this would be checked regularly. But I might check that with the school.

Quote Originally Posted by babynomad View Post
    My oldest has autism and has really struggled and not reading properly yet at 8 so I guess I wanted them to find the joys in reading first .
    One doesn't have to cancel out the other though. My kids love books and reading. Not that DD can read yet, but she still loves books . Your DS is in year 1? I know all states are different, but last year DS was bringing 3 books home a week as reading homework. That started about the middle of term 1. I guess that's another reason I wasn't too worried about technology in class as they still spent a lot of time with proper actual books, writing, maths on paper etc. The pile of workbooks we got home at the end of the year is huge! Technology is just part of what they learn/use.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I think it's a very big deal and you are entitled to be upset. However it also depends on the technology policy of your school. If it is a mains.tream school then technology seems to be perfectly acceptable at a very young age and with a high level of useage. I think you can complain about the game as it is not age appropriate but not about the use of the iPad if this is the case.

If technology use is of significant concern to you perhaps look into a primary school with a low or no technology policy.

I see it as, how is it different to kids learning to use desktop computers? Of course it's possible they won't use it as they're meant to, but that teaches them a lot about responsibility and what is right and wrong beyond just not hitting, kicking, swearing, being nasty to others. About how to act when you've been trusted with something.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (13-02-2017)