+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    This is in prep?

Nah, that's totally wrong.
    My DS is in prep and there is plenty of Lego, blocks, books etc to keep them entertained.

I'd be discussing with the teacher pronto.
    Yep... good old free time as a reward

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be talking to the principal. I wouldn't be happy with that at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    first of all why is she using her own device at school when surely the school has a set of ipads for prep? As a teacher she would have sort permission to use her own device in her classroom but what if she uses Tinder and he starts swiping on that??
    Secondly, the game isn't educational so her justification that it helps coordination is just a lazy reason to use the app imho. There must be other apps she can use that work specifically on improving coordination that aren't temple run!!?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinachris For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017),BH-KatiesMum  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so glad you're all saying it's not the right thing for prep ! I want to be looser and more relaxed about it but it's ruined our learning at home which he never viewed as learning , he loved Montessori Maths and he can count to 1000 , add up and take away and he was begging for me for more of that . Now he wants temple run . I just wanted to get the basics down first like reading .

I'm not very good at confrontation mainly because I say too much when I open my mouth so I let many things go . She is such a lovely teacher and she is new to the school, I'll have to email her I think .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be pretty furious about this too. Computer games (not educational) as a school reward for such little ones seems like a very odd tool.
    It's certainly worth a discussion with the teacher and perhaps principal too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Find the Commonsense Media reviews for it and include the link in your email. I want sure if it was ok to post the link here. I would also CC the principal into the email.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Dust For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have Temple Run on my phone.

I do not have too much issue with games/kids etc. I actually don't have an issue with Temple Run although DS is far too small for it (slow reflexes). I think maybe I am ok with it because I played games a lot before kids. DH also plays games.

Temple Run is very much for improving reflexes. Its basically a running game where you jump, duck, turn corners (all swiping screen) and tilt.

I am someone who is getting DS Minecraft when he turns 4 so I am in the minority.

I will add that Temple Run 2 is also rated for 6+.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (12-02-2017),babynomad  (12-02-2017),Happymum2  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Minecraft is great @twinklify, my ds has it on the Xbox and loves it although we only let him play it in creative mode for now.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be inpressed either.
    I don't see the need for it in prep, and there should be plenty of other things to do. If it was an educational program/app, yeah, ok. I'd probably let it go.
    If I was still teaching, I likely wouldn't do it with the littlies, but even with the primary kids, I wouldn't be letting them access a game/app that was not educational for reward time.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Am I over reacting ?

I don't think you're overreacting about the game given the age limit, and I think you should say something to the teacher for sure (and then the Principal if you aren't satisfied with her response) but I think you're overacting about the use of the iPad.

It may not be your style of parenting to allow fun / non educational games on the iPad and you do have every right to tell the teacher no, not for your son, but I don't think you can ask the teacher to not use it at all. There are most likely other kids who use the iPad for non educational games and their parents won't have an issue, so you can't expect it's use to be removed for the entire class if the teacher and principal have okayed it because it doesn't suit your parenting choices.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017)