+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Am I over reacting ?

My son just started school . He is going into week 4 now. The teacher uses video ( iPad ) games such as temple run for rewards . My son has only ever used the iPad for reading eggs and Montessori Maths which he was more than happy with . Now all I hear about is temple run ...we have had tears over it and tears at school . He plays it every day at school .
    I didn't want my son introduced to high speed , amazing life like graphics and full on games until he could read and write . And he was doing so well . Now all I hear is temple run this and that and he is addicted!!'

My husband told the teacher ( who is a lovely lady ) that it's like giving a kid ice cream when he was happy with an apple . He won't want the apple anymore when he is offered the choice . She said it was good for co ordination because you tilt the screen . He has only just turned 6 . We are low tech except for learning games . Shouldn't I of been asked if it was ok? We are not boring we do lots of cool stuff with the kids but this was my one thing I was sticking to. I don't want him playing games like that yet . She said she doesn't want to get rid of it at school .
    I'm pretty annoyed . Am I over reacting ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think you're overreacting at all. I'd be arranging a meeting with the principal to discuss technology use in the classroom and go from there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (11-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks , I'm so annoyed and feel like I don't know what he going to be introduced to next !! I want to know - I'm his mum ! Thanks - I just needed to know someone agreed with me 👍

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (11-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think you're over-reacting, and I would be less than impressed.
    But, if she is using it as part of her lessons, the principal is likely to know and have okayed it. So I am not sure what can be done.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (11-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I don't think you're over-reacting, and I would be less than impressed.
    But, if she is using it as part of her lessons, the principal is likely to know and have okayed it. So I am not sure what can be done.
    Yep, I agree. And what is likely to happen is all the other children will still be able to use it for a reward and your child will be the only one doing something different (which you may be totally fine with). If I was in your situation I would still request a meeting with her and the principal to discuss your concerns but I would also be explaining to your child that that game is only allowed at school and these are the things you get to do at home. Yes, there will probably be tantrums but unfortunately these things are going to happen.

ETA: If it is rated for 9+ (not familiar with the game, sorry) then I would be bringing this up as a permission slip would need to be signed to allow this to happen (same goes for pg movies).
    Last edited by Happymum2; 11-02-2017 at 22:07.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (11-02-2017),DT75  (11-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be really angry. That game is rated for age 9+.
    Commonsense media reviews say it has no educational value and significant violence.

I refused to let my 5.5 year old download it, so to I find out a teacher made a decision that is completely opposite my parenting decision would have me ropable.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pixie Dust For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (11-02-2017),Bluebirdgirl  (11-02-2017),BornToBe  (12-02-2017),gingermillie  (12-02-2017),LaDiDah  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow yeh I'd be mad too.
    Not over reacting at all. I can't see the use in that at all. Rewarding kids with gaming of any sort feels like a bad idea to me.

That said though if no one is going to budge on it then it will be a learning experience for your son, that some things are just for sometimes and that particular thing is just for school. The hard thing with that is other kids might be getting to play at home too and talking about it.
    Unfortunately it is something he will have to learn though. It might take a week or so of him being upset til he lets it go.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (11-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone . I appreciate your views because I don't want to be the boring parent , but my 8 year old last year didn't even use iPads in his class at the same school . This iPad belongs to the teacher and it has lots of other games on it apparently . I'll let him do it at school but I'm bummed that a parenting choice has not been discussed with me and he has been so upset . He is in QLD prep ( NSW kinder ) surely there are a million other rewards . Some of the kids are only 4 , he is 6 because I kept him back a year but I still wanted him to be enthusiastic about reading apps but now he isn't . It just makes me mad . Thanks , I'll have to let it go I think but it's so bloody annoying !!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babynomad View Post
    Thanks everyone . I appreciate your views because I don't want to be the boring parent , but my 8 year old last year didn't even use iPads in his class at the same school . This iPad belongs to the teacher and it has lots of other games on it apparently . I'll let him do it at school but I'm bummed that a parenting choice has not been discussed with me and he has been so upset . He is in QLD prep ( NSW kinder ) surely there are a million other rewards . Some of the kids are only 4 , he is 6 because I kept him back a year but I still wanted him to be enthusiastic about reading apps but now he isn't . It just makes me mad . Thanks , I'll have to let it go I think but it's so bloody annoying !!!!!!
    My ds is in Prep this year (Vic) and is also turning 6. We have lots of education apps on the iPad (memory, reading, writing, telling the time - Dh is a teacher!) but we also have some fun ones that ds loves. Sonic Dash is his favourite and minion rush is also good. Not violent, very kid friendly. Maybe you could check them out and have them at home, a bit of compromise.

ETA: Or let the teacher know that these may be a little more appropriate to use in class.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (11-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is in prep?

Nah, that's totally wrong.
    My DS is in prep and there is plenty of Lego, blocks, books etc to keep them entertained.

I'd be discussing with the teacher pronto.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (12-02-2017),Mamasupial  (12-02-2017)