+ Reply to Thread
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week

Default Anyone purchased land in a rural area and built?

We're currently considering buying a block of land in a semi-rural area with the hopes of building sometime in the near future.

Has anyone done this? In particular I'm interested in whether any one has built something quite small (eg. Two bedroom) and/or had to organise connection of utilities (eg. Sewage). What costs will we need to consider? Site costs? Site costs for putting in something like a granny flat?

This has always been a bit of a pipe dream of ours - to own a large block in a rural area where we can have a big vegie patch and chickens etc. But rather than dream about it we might have the opportunity to make it happen and in a location not too far out from where we are now (so could easily commute to our current jobs).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Bump. Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing, We live on a quarter acre backing onto farmland, we built here. I am looking to buy more land (ideally 2-5 acres) and build again, here in the same suburb we're in or one of the neighbouring suburbs. We aren't really rural though, Gold Coast hinterland right on the border of suburbia and semi-rural.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are building semi-rural and our build is about to start, however it is not an acreage, just a bigger than normal sized block. We are also building a family sized home, not a small house but certainly the smaller the house the less they cost!

We don't have mains water or gas, so we are running off of rainwater and the toilets and garden is on recycled water, paid for as you would mains water. The rainwater tanks are costing about $10k all up including connection and filtration/UV sterlisation. As we don't have gas we are running the whole house off of electricity so have 2 phase power connection which is also more costly. However we plan on having a lot of solar panels and storage cells in the future to offset the cost, so we aren't concerned about that (also gas is expensive anyway). Check what connections the land has as you will need to factor things like this in if they do not have all the normal mains connections such as mains water, sewage, gas etc. Things like tanks, septic tanks etc are also an upfront cost.

Site costs you can't really quote on. They vary immensely and depend on the the type of soil, the slope of the block, the size of the house, if they have to remove vegetation/rocks etc etc.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 12-02-2017 at 12:39.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks @bezzy. What are your reasons for buying a larger property? We are looking in the range of 1-1.5 acres but we're tempted by some of the larger properties.
    @Pearlygirl thanks for the great points re connections. Does your property have main sewage or septic or...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want a horse and possibly one for DD although she doesn't ride at the moment. I am jealous of all the larger properties around here. I enjoy the convenience of our smaller block (town water, electricity, gas, sewerage), estate with security, but extra space would be really lovely. We used to have 10 acres when I was young, that is bigger than what I am after.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have mains sewage, just no potable mains water or gas. We did have the option of a buried LPG gas tank but decided to go all electricity instead (because of reduced solar costs in the future).

Other costs you need to consider are perimeter concreting and driveway
    (often very costly if you get the builder to do it), fencing, flooring and curtains, and builder upgrades. I think it would be uncommon for people not to upgrade anything in a house they are intending to live in as the base prices and homes for the majority of builders is really basic. This obviously can cost little or the earth depending on what and how much you upgrade.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We've had a look at a couple of blocks in the area we like. Connections are limited, even in the town, pretty much to electricity so we'd have to have a water tank and septic (or similar). I'd love to get solar too. I think it would be possible based on what we think we can afford so we're talking to a broker. I'm a bit concerned that it's a high bushfire risk area which will likely increase costs of building materials and tree removal.