+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not sure why people think a full trolley shop takes longer...maybe it's just me?
    Three kids in tow (almost 1 year old screamer, 9 year old who likes to touch things and run off, 11 year old who never stops talking).

H timed me doing a regular shop two weeks ago- I scanned and packed and paid in under 9 minutes (a full shop).
    The same shop took a checkout lady 23 minutes the week previous. 60% of the items were squashed, bread smelled and tasted like laundry powder, eggs broken, bags broke due to too heavy items, raw meat in with cooked meat.... it was a nightmare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Not sure why people think a full trolley shop takes longer...maybe it's just me?
    Three kids in tow (almost 1 year old screamer, 9 year old who likes to touch things and run off, 11 year old who never stops talking).

H timed me doing a regular shop two weeks ago- I scanned and packed and paid in under 9 minutes (a full shop).
    The same shop took a checkout lady 23 minutes the week previous. 60% of the items were squashed, bread smelled and tasted like laundry powder, eggs broken, bags broke due to too heavy items, raw meat in with cooked meat.... it was a nightmare.
    DS scans all the items and packs them. Then presses the buttons etc etc so we take ages. But we don't buy much as we go to Aldi anyway.

I honestly do not remember anyone packing my shopping terribly. There were small things here and there but nothing major.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

DT75  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post

That's really bad DT. If this happened to me I'd go straight back to the customer service desk and get a refund for damaged broken items. I've never had groceries packed this badly before.

I do try to use self service where possible though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'm surprised when people say they can scan a trolley load quicker.
    There's no conveyor belt, a tiny bagging area- I find it very cumbersome and awkward.
    And with little ones trying to touch everything it's 1000 times easier to chuck stuff on a belt.
    And finding the barcode and scanning it....
    Agree! I honestly wouldn't ever bother attempting to run a full trolley load of groceries through the self serve. Love using it when I have just a hand basket of stuff, but a trolley does not fit comfortably/practically in the self serve zone.

I've also never had a checkout operator pack my bags so poorly it was worth complaining about. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I find most of them pretty efficient.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Agree! I honestly wouldn't ever bother attempting to run a full trolley load of groceries through the self serve. Love using it when I have just a hand basket of stuff, but a trolley does not fit comfortably/practically in the self serve zone.

I've also never had a checkout operator pack my bags so poorly it was worth complaining about. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I find most of them pretty efficient.
    This. I never have to wait more than 5-10min at the checkout here anyway. I've tried self serve with more than a basketful once and it was horrible. There's no room; I ended up with half the trolley with bags and half with items still to be scanned. And trying to keep my toddler out of the way. Even a basketful is too much sometimes. There's really only room for one bag. Otherwise you need to use the floor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate self serve ones. I am one of these people that gets "incorrect item in bagging area" or "no item placed in bagging area" or whatever else they say, after every damn item. Last time I used self serve was because there was no services counter. I had 3 items and it took me 15 minutes because I had to keep waiting for the lady.
    Tried to use Big W one once and I was buying a lot of small stationary items as well as big stuff. Had a whole trolley load. None of the stationary stuff was heavy enough to be felt in the bagging area but it insisted I needed to put them there. So I called the lady over. She came over with a mouth full of violet crumble, mumbled something and walked off. 3 seconds later when I had to call her again, she huffed at me and rolled her eyes. This continued for a while. Wasn't my fault there was no service lane open. After literally half an hour of trying to scan things and needing to call her over every time she started ignoring us and taking even longer. Called her manager or whatever over who told me I just need to "try harder" for it to recognise the stuff I'm putting in. Told her I didn't want any of this stuff anymore. She informed me that I had to go and put everything back on the shelves my self. I had just spent well over half an hour trying to check out so yeh, that wasn't happening. I just left.
    I hate self service.
    And there is no way I could do a full shop at one. Two trolley loads and 4 kids between 3 and 7, even serviced checkout can be difficult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkers View Post
    Saw a news article that Coles is cracking down on self serve checkout theft and putting a 12 item limit on self serve.
    Wondering if anyone has deliberately scanned an avocado as a carrot or similar or stolen food as they didnt want to pay for it as it seems to be very common. I won't judge
    To answer your question: no, I have never (nor will I ever) steal from the supermarket. I'm just not that kind of person.

Having said that, I avoid self serve checkouts as much as possible at Coles/Woolies as I prefer to be served by a person.

I also shop at Aldi most of the time and I'm quite happy that they don't have self service.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    To answer your question: no, I have never (nor will I ever) steal from the supermarket. I'm just not that kind of person.

Having said that, I avoid self serve checkouts as much as possible at Coles/Woolies as I prefer to be served by a person.

I also shop at Aldi most of the time and I'm quite happy that they don't have self service.
    I've only been to Aldi once (not near my local area) & the checkout was set up like a semi- self service - the checkout operators were scanning the items but were asking customers to please put them in the trolley (NOT in bags), and then take their trolley over to a separate shelf-type area and bag them over there. It might have just been this one aldi store? but I assumed all Aldi's were set up the same. It was very much a double-handling process that seemed to take much longer! I only had a couple of things, but I felt sorry for people with full trolleys that had to unload (at checkout), reload into trolley, unload (at bagging area) and reload into bags and back into the trolley - with kids in tow, it would have taken me ages. I made a mental note that if I am ever going to an Aldi, to bring empty nappy boxes for the base of the trolley so I can chuck the stuff straight into the boxes when I'm going through the checkouts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I've only been to Aldi once (not near my local area) & the checkout was set up like a semi- self service - the checkout operators were scanning the items but were asking customers to please put them in the trolley (NOT in bags), and then take their trolley over to a separate shelf-type area and bag them over there. It might have just been this one aldi store? but I assumed all Aldi's were set up the same. It was very much a double-handling process that seemed to take much longer! I only had a couple of things, but I felt sorry for people with full trolleys that had to unload (at checkout), reload into trolley, unload (at bagging area) and reload into bags and back into the trolley - with kids in tow, it would have taken me ages. I made a mental note that if I am ever going to an Aldi, to bring empty nappy boxes for the base of the trolley so I can chuck the stuff straight into the boxes when I'm going through the checkouts!
    Aldi do not pack bags.

I like the way that it is done. I just group what I want first and they scan it that way. The kiddo gets a yoghurt to eat while we pack so he is occupied.

They also sold trolley bags so it goes straight from trolley to car. I see a lot of people using them.

Lots of people also unpack it straight into the back of their cars (they have eskies/boxes).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

DT75  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    That's really bad DT. If this happened to me I'd go straight back to the customer service desk and get a refund for damaged broken items. I've never had groceries packed this badly before.

I do try to use self service where possible though.
    I did. Manager was very apologetic.
    It happens every single time I use a checkout. And I shop at several different stores.

ETA: every self-serve area I have been to has lots of space. I can comfortably fit a trolley and pram in the area without impeding on others.
    Last edited by DT75; 14-02-2017 at 08:49.