+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkers View Post
    Saw a news article that Coles is cracking down on self serve checkout theft and putting a 12 item limit on self serve.
    Wondering if anyone has deliberately scanned an avocado as a carrot or similar or stolen food as they didnt want to pay for it as it seems to be very common. I won't judge

Our local Coles put a 12 item limit on self serve checkouts months ago. That wouldn't bother me so much but the queues at the other registers are so long that it takes ages to get through.

I don't steal items and people who do really **** me off but that's a whole other rant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use them. Never deliberately scan anything incorrectly. I have DS with me 99% of the time and teach him how to do it. I also like the 12 item rule.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Self serve checkout

I love the self serve checkouts! I will do a big shop through it if it's quiet and only one checkout is open that's moving slowly! If anything, I've double charged myself on things when no ones around and I can't be bothered waiting for an attendant to fix it.

Edit to add - DH keeps telling me to scan a cauli as half because it's robbery being $6 for a full one I couldn't do it though!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    For those of you who avoid the SS checkouts, how do you do it? Just wait for a serviced lane? The queues are usually so long my kids would lose their minds! It's just easier to do SS!
    I never use SS but I only use the big supermarkets maybe once a fortnight if that for general grocery stuff and always go after school drop offs at 9am so it's never busy! Otherwise I run into my local IGA for little things I need or forget

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

I often use SS if I've only got a basket or a small trolley. If I have a full trolley I always wait for a checkout. It is a pain though when the store is packed and there are only 1 or 2 checkouts open. I have never stolen anything at self serve, I would never do that, but I'm not surprised at all that it happens. I think the fact the supermarkets are surprised about this is laughable. They cost cut and increase profits by inconveniencing shoppers with barely any staff available, charge for trolleys, inflate prices, drive out competition, use all sorts of marketing ploys, and basically take advantage of shoppers at every turn then they're surprised when shoppers take advantage of them in return. They can't be that delusional.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Woolworths near me is really good, they have great customer service. Better than any other supermarket I've been too. If the queue for the manned checkouts is more than 1 person deep they will open another one. I still use the SS ones when I'm by myself. I always use the manned ones when DD is with me. Oh and I don't steal stuff, if I don't like the price of something then I just don't buy it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only use self serve checkouts when I have a few things to get. My closest supermarket is really good with making sure there are always enough staff on the checkouts, so there's no need to when I have a trolley full.

I have never deliberately selected the wrong produce, or not scanned things, however I have got home and realised something didn't scan when looking at my receipt. I rarely check my receipt, so I could just imagine how many things haven't scanned that I don't know about.

Thanks
    Reviews

I work for westfarmers so would never consider being dishonest. Theft affects the amount of people they can employ and pay a wage to. Less profit = less staff. If I do a full shop and the lanes are busy I ask them to open another checkout for me and it always happens. If you complain they respond. One of the biggest mistakes made was the trialling of not weighing your groceries on the bag scales. Woolies did it first and they lost so much more hence their profit is completely crap, Coles did it to and decided against it.

I went through this morning and spent $51 on self serve it doesn't worry me at all having to look up anything, sometimes I'm faster then an operator doing it as I want to get out fast not dwindle around waiting.

Edit : what is the difference with Coles doing this and having self serve and Aldi making you pack your own bag. You load your trolley then unload then load it again if you have quite a bit of shopping

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always use the self serve because I'm funny about other people touching my things. I will happily take a fully trolley through. Looks like I'll be scanning it in batches of 12 now lol. All this does is mean I won't be shopping at Coles for my big shop. I don't intentionally scan things in wrong - I tend to always get the same types when it comes to fruit and veg so I would only do it wrong if I had picked up something different for some reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love self serve checkouts. I hate going through the checkout and the checkout person uses so many plastic bags!! Grr.. even when I ask them not to. I think it's really wasteful so I try to go through the self serve when I can. That way I can pretty much fit everything in a couple of reusable bags. Whereas through the checkout they seem to use as many bags as possible because of health & safety maybe? Either way it's a waste.