+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Self serve checkout

Saw a news article that Coles is cracking down on self serve checkout theft and putting a 12 item limit on self serve.
    Wondering if anyone has deliberately scanned an avocado as a carrot or similar or stolen food as they didnt want to pay for it as it seems to be very common. I won't judge

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope never I believe in karma and I want good karma not bad karma.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to our4boys For This Useful Post:

misho  (13-02-2017),Redcorset  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not deliberately, but I'm sure I've picked the wrong type of apple/pear etc before and of course will choose the cheapest option if I can't remember what type!
    I think it's just ridiculous to expect people to self serve a full shop. My local is terrible I'll be there in the morning, with 2 kids, full trolley and they only have 1 serviced lane (or none) open with a huge queue. No option but to wait in line for ages or do self serve. Scanning your own shopping with a toddler plus baby in carrier is great fun. Not. Plus the area is clogged with trolleys of people all doing the same thing.
    I've thought about "forgetting" to scan things in protest but I'm just too honest.
    I think limiting self serve to 12 items is a no- brainer, but they will have to increase the services lanes to serve the people doing big shops.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont use the self serve checkouts. On the times i only need to grab a handful of items, i use the checkout lane with a 15 item limit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I've never done that. Predominantly because I HATE self serve check-outs and flatly refuse to use them.

It upsets me that self-serve was ever bought in. I know the supermarkets will tell us it's for our own convenience, but when there are 12 of them open and only one serviced register - sorry, it's about job cutting and money saving.

I (like most of you) am a busy woman, and I hate the fact that good service is getting so hard to come by now-a-days. Having someone else pack my groceries is a quiet moment where I can just stop and rest TBH! And truthfully, if I had wanted to be able to scan and pack groceries I would have gotten a job at the supermarkets myself!

Rant over. Clearly not a good day for me, lol

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (10-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (10-02-2017),rosey82  (10-02-2017),Tinkers  (10-02-2017),Wise Enough  (10-02-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I do use the self serve checkouts - and havent scanned the wrong things or missed things deliberately

but neither am I surprised that they are having an issue.

1 - shoplifting has always been a probelm. relying on honesty and making people self scan a whole shop is just sticking your head in the sand and saying 'no that wont happen'

2 - even people who are honest and dont deliberately miss things or mis-scan have issues. There are so few serviced checkout lanes that people are forced to do self serve with a large shop ... and with no conveyor you have a trolley load of stuff that is half scanned and half not. Its a mistake waiting to happen. Its so easy to miss something. And then there is the issue with actually identifying the fruit or vegetable ...

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that shoplifting rates are going to rise substantially with this system.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-02-2017),ShannyAnny  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope, never. I'm too honest. I often use the self service because I don't do a massive shop too often and I can't be bothered to wait for the queue of people in the 1-2 proper checkout lanes. If I have a full shop or a big trolley I'll always go through a proper check out though. I will go through self service with one of those shallow half trolleys though (if I have a few items too heavy for a basket, or I want to do fruit and veg next door) but I deliberately choose a register at the end so I can tuck my trolley out of the way. I can't stand it when people block the area with their trolleys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those of you who avoid the SS checkouts, how do you do it? Just wait for a serviced lane? The queues are usually so long my kids would lose their minds! It's just easier to do SS!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm always honest. I use self serve but if there is a person free I prefer them

What's annoying is when I've done my shopping late night (like 8) and I have go through self serve with a full trolley!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-02-2017),rosey82  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never (that I know of!) stolen from self serve. I like the idea of the 12 item rule. It's frustrating when I have one or 2 items and want to quickly zip through and self serve is full of people with trolley loads of shopping.