ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Oligohydramnios and IUGR? Struggling to trust the hospital!

I've recently been transferred from my lovely little local hospital to the big high-risk city hospital for prenatal care, as I've been diagnosed with IUGR and oligohydramnios. I'm almost 36 weeks. According to scans, my AFI is 5cm and the babies EFW has dropped from the 50th percentile to the 5th. They've asked me to come back in a week for a repeat scan... but the thing with this big hospital is that the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing. No-one communicates with each other, which means I get questions like 'the last doctor has written you need a blood test... can you tell us what it's for?' because they dont know. I've seen around 4 different doctors per week since I've been under their care (only 2 weeks now), but never the same doctor twice. There has been talk of inducing me but no-one will make a decision... I keep getting the 'stillbirth' chat and make sure I watch out for movements... but today one dr I saw said I *should* be ok if they wait until 37 weeks...hopefully.... I just find it so hard to trust them when their communication is so poor and no-one seems to know what's going on. They are *supposed* to be the safest place for my baby to be cared for, but I'm not feeling it at all. I'm just finding myself hoping that my baby survives another week until they give me another ultrasound and hopefully decide what to do.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Anyone with low fluid or IUGR who was just left to keep going and feels like they are crossing their fingers that the baby will make it? Or have had experiences in/ work in a hospital like this? I'm used to very strong continuity of care in my small local area, so it feels so foreign to me seeing 2-3 different doctors at one appointment, and none of them seem to have any clue about what is going on. I'm feeling so lost at that huge place 😒 and incredibly anxious about being there due to a previous terrible experience. Im thinking maybe I should go see my regular local ob and just ask her advice about what I am meant to be doing 😕

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is there a hospital social worker or patient liaison? I would speak to them and see if they can give you some advice.

The reasons for requesting tests should be well documented.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (09-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear you've been through a tough time. I tend to trust the "bigger" hospitals in the city over a country one but I can understand why you feel your being shoved between Dr's. Def keep close watch on your baby's movement. Can you phone your regular OB for advice? I had low fluid for both my babies and was induced at 39 weeks. This was in private hospital. Try speaking to a nurse about your concerns and see if they can help explain what's going on. All the best, I hope the next couple of weeks are smooth sailing and you get to meet your healthy bub soon.
    Ps - I also know a friend who had IUGR that wasn't picked up at the local country hospital. She was transferred to the city and had genetic testing to get a proper diagnosis which was important.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Is there a hospital social worker or patient liaison? I would speak to them and see if they can give you some advice.

The reasons for requesting tests should be well documented.
    It's possible there is - I might ring and enquire. I wish i could just go back to my small hospital where everyone is competent and they are kind to me. A midwife shouted at me today because I was sitting in the waiting room and she didnt know why, so she just yelled at me and told me to get out. I was like '... but the dr told me to wait here...' and the midwife just kept shouting. I left the place in tears today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcorset View Post
    Sorry to hear you've been through a tough time. I tend to trust the "bigger" hospitals in the city over a country one but I can understand why you feel your being shoved between Dr's. Def keep close watch on your baby's movement. Can you phone your regular OB for advice? I had low fluid for both my babies and was induced at 39 weeks. This was in private hospital. Try speaking to a nurse about your concerns and see if they can help explain what's going on. All the best, I hope the next couple of weeks are smooth sailing and you get to meet your healthy bub soon.
    Ps - I also know a friend who had IUGR that wasn't picked up at the local country hospital. She was transferred to the city and had genetic testing to get a proper diagnosis which was important.
    That's encouraging that your baby was ok until 39 weeks with low fluid. Every time I try asking questions, they just stare at me like I'm insane lol, and say they dont know... but no-one knows anything. I feel like Im just being shuffled around between person to person and no-one knows what to do with me 😒

You're right, I should trust the big hospital. I think maybe they know what they're doing, they just arent good at communicating it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

A midwife shouted at you?? That's horrible! In what scenario would that be ok?? I'm sorry you are feeling so lost in the system

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ElizaDoLittle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizaDoLittle View Post
    A midwife shouted at you?? That's horrible! In what scenario would that be ok?? I'm sorry you are feeling so lost in the system
    I unfortunately had my last baby at this same hospital, and there are some really nasty midwives unfortunately. Last time I asked for panadol for pain relief after the birth, and the midwife stormed out, came back to the doorway 4 hours later, threw the panadol at me through the doorway, and stormed off again. I had to crawl under the bed to pick up my panadol. It's just an awful hospital... some people are nice, but the nasty ones really make t sh!t.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this the only big city hospital you can go to?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kylie764 View Post
    Is this the only big city hospital you can go to?
    Sadly, yes... I think my only other option would be an unassisted homebirth (it has crossed my mind!) I did also suggest to DH we fly to melbourne or sydney or a large capital city for a few weeks so we can get better care in a high risk hospital there, but it wouldnt be fair on our kids to pull them out of school, & dh has to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I don't know if it's the same where you are, but we've just gone through a change of registrars for the year so there's a heap of new doctors starting at the hospital. That may explain *some* of the not knowing what's going on but it shouldn't excuse it. Depending on how the hospital works too, they may work in teams so you're seeing different doctors within the same team i.e. Consultant, registrar, resident. Plus you may have been seen by the after hours registrar, ward cover etc as well in amongst those Drs.

What have they said in regards to scans? For IUGR/Oligo babies we would usually be doing weekly scans (minimum) to check Doppler flow between baby and placenta. If there's any sign of compromise to flow then it's usually an indication to deliver. Depending on policy of the hospital will depend on how often they do a CTG on you. It only gives a snapshot of what's happening, but if there's any concern about baby's movements definitely tell the midwives and they should put you straight on the monitor. The trouble with IUGR babies is that they can fall off the perch quite quickly because their reserves aren't as great as those of a fat, chubby "average" baby.

I'm presuming that they have given you steroid injections if there is talk of inducing you early. For a potentially compromised baby (which is why they would induce early) you want to give Bub the best chance possible. If Doppler flow etc is all ok then you should be ok to wait until 37 weeks unless anything else presents itself.

My best advice is ask questions. Ask them of the doctors. If you don't completely understand, ask your midwives to read your notes and decipher for you to explain in plain English.

If you do call your local ob just be prepared to have difficulties. If your care has been referred to the tertiary hospital it's been done for a reason. Unless your ob had visiting rights at the hospital they cannot ask to see your medical records etc and you may find it causes some issues.

If you are anxious being in that particular hospital due to bad experience in the past, ask to see the occupational therapist. They will be able to chat to you about your anxiety and provide you with things to help you manage it. For example our OT does craft classes, cooking classes etc with patients in group settings. They have discmans/iPods that they lend to patients with relaxation programs and music on them. They have coloring in books etc that they can provide to patients.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me at any time if you need. While I don't work in your hospital, I know how busy they can be and I may be able to help you navigate the process.

ETA sorry, some of my suggestions are more for inpatients than outpatients but most of it still applies.
    Last edited by MLadyEm; 09-02-2017 at 21:43.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (09-02-2017),Fi Poledancer  (09-02-2017)