+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Long time forum reader, first time user!

Hi everyone! I have avoided signing up and jumping on this forum, cause as soon as I did, I knew it was when I needed advice/help/someone to talk to! Been through 7 rounds of IVF in about 18 months and had a FET this morning which nearly didnt happen cause its grade reduced so much. It wasnt so good in the first place, but yeh it was worse upon thawing....I went with the transfer anyway after talking to my doc and the scientist and well, who knows, a miracle may happen!
    It is the last hope we have. We have to draw the line somewhere with IVF right? We are one of those couples where there is just nothing wrong with either of us in any way but age must be playing a factor in my egg quality. I've never fallen pregnant. We started trying in my mid 30s after we married. I am nearly 41, my husband nearly 51 sigh.... So we are staring down the barrell of maybe looking at egg donation which does scare me I'll be honest. We even visited a counselor about it which did help a bit, but it is SO something we didn't want to have to consider. DH seems alot more ok about it than me. I hate the idea of advertising for a donor. We are so private about all of this. The whole process idea just freaks me out! Oh well i have the infamous TWW to cling onto before really freaking out! Thanks for listening. I feel better already!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Carby, really hope that this is your little miracle you and DH have been waiting for! Stay strong and hope the next 2 weeks fly x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best of luck this cycle, what a journey you've had already.
    Have you thought about a known donor if you need to go down that path or would you prefer considering an anon one ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you guys! I would have responded sooner but i am trying to get used to this website! I think i would prefer anon to be honest. I dont know if i could cope with knowing the person, but I dont know what is down the road for us, but i am struggling really bad with the whole idea, so anon is definitely what i currently feel more comfortable about.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carby For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Carby View Post
    Thank you guys! I would have responded sooner but i am trying to get used to this website! I think i would prefer anon to be honest. I dont know if i could cope with knowing the person, but I dont know what is down the road for us, but i am struggling really bad with the whole idea, so anon is definitely what i currently feel more comfortable about.

Hi @Carby

Your story sounds somewhat similar to my own. I am 42, hubby is 53, and we married 3 1/2 years ago. We did 4 cycles of IVF all up, but I was a very poor responder even to high doses of meds, so we only managed to get 7 eggs from those 4 cycles in total.

Of those, three fertilised and we did 2 x fresh 3 day transfers (both BFN's) and one frozen transfer of an A Grade hatching emby which looked lovely and gave us a BFP, but we MC'd at 8 weeks. Obviously it was an 'old egg' issue.

We then moved onto donor eggs, finding a known donor within Australia (non-related.) We have 5 A Grade and 1 B Grade embies in the freezer and I fell pregnant on the first fresh transfer. We are due in June, shortly before my 43rd birthday

I just wanted to write and let you know there is hope. Many times this journey is so fraught with emotion and disappointment that we can't see a way forward, but more often than not, when we reach 'the end of the road' and take a step back, new ways forward can reveal themselves.

You will know in your heart when the time is right to let the dream go, but if you ever feel even just an inkling of hope....that potentially you are not done yet....then keep fighting the good fight hon x

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Carby similar story here too with failed ivf. Was told maybe donor egg as an option but my IVF dr here was not informative at all how to go about. Said maybe advertise and hope for the best. Of course I did nothing as had no direction and all seemed too hard! 2 years later I found out about egg donation overseas ie south Africa, Greece, Hawaii. With in a year I had selected a donor, went to South Africa, and have given birth to my beautiful twins! Once I had accepted the fact that I had such a slim chance with own eggs and moved on there was no turning back. I have no regrets other than I wished I had done sooner!
    These are my babies and I am their mum.
    I'm still hoping for a miracle for you and you don't need to use donor eggs but of you do there are loads of lovely ladies here for support. Xx

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lolly99 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (10-02-2017),Wise Enough  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thank you all so much!! I a so glad I finally signed up to this forum It is so awesome to hear your stories @Blossom74 and @Lolly99 !!! I have thought about overseas if we did go this route and it is looking that way... The doc here gave me a counsellor number to talk to about the whole donor thing and I freaked when I heard that we had to advertise for a donor! I had envisaged just walking into a clinic and it all be anon haha. I have read and heard of a place in Ireland that sounds fantastic so may give them a buzz for a chat anyway. Will see what this TWW brings but reality is despite there not being one issue the doc could find, it just never happened for us and I guess is it my egg quality. We did consider one more round of IVF with another doc just to see but I guess there is nothing that can be done for poor quality eggs. I have had a couple of great embryos but they just didn't last Only great for less than two weeks.... Thank u guys so much. You have no idea how much I appreciate hearing from other people and I do feel better about the idea of looking further into the donor idea. It's probably our only avenue and it seems to have an awesome outcome You guys rock!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carby For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember my clinic kept pushing me to do 'just one more cycle' - and why wouldn't they, it was money in their pocket after all. At the end of the day though we felt we'd been through enough and wasted too much money trying to flog a dead horse (me!) into pushing out good quality eggs that I just didn't have. That money was better spent elsewhere, and once you've wrapped your head around the 'donor egg' idea it is like a weight lifted from your shoulders.

I can honestly tell you that the moment I found out I was pregnant - THAT was MY baby. I can't imagine loving it anymore if it had formed from my own egg.

All the very best Keep us posted on how you go!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Lolly99  (10-02-2017),Wise Enough  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good advice @Blossom74 My doc has been great and was very honest in suggesting after the last round to result consider the donor idea. He understood that people just need to draw the line somewhere. I'm so glad you felt that was straight away! That is a fear of mine...feeling that it won't have my DNA, but I guess growing something inside of you very much makes it feel like "yours" which I am starting to understand. Thank you for being so open. It has helped so much. You know I am the most chilled during this TWW than ever before. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. I feel chilled I think cause it's chances of surviving are so low. I had such a good blastocyst last time transferred I was so stressed over making sure I didn't stress! Maybe being so chilled might be a good thing this time, but the chances for a 4DD are so tiny. I think talking to you guys and realising that I think I can go down the donor route...that there is a plan b we can go for that should ideally work (after all I'm so fabulous inside haha! So darn perfect it's annoying!) anyway.... Thank u all again so much xxxx