Hcf

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hcf

Hi there,

I am 21 weeks along with first bub and planning to stay at Westmead Private Hospital with HCF as my private health fund.

My last OB appointment I was told I had a low lying placenta and by 34 week if this has not gone up than will need to have a c-section.

Does any one know the cost of c-section at the hospital, Anaesthetist etc? Although the doctor has told me that he believe that 80% chance I will be able to have a natural birth I need to budget just in case I made need the surgery.

Any help will be great,

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure for this hospital but your OB's receptionist may be able to give you procedure numbers so you can call the hospital and get the costs. You will also need to know what anaesthetists your OB uses, the receptionist should be able to give this to you as well. You will then need to call the anaesthetists offices for the costs, they can vary greatly. Another thing to remember is that your OB will also have an assisting OB in surgery who you also have to pay for. Once you get the costs you can call your health fund for an idea of what your gap will be.

i was going to have a planned cesarean but ended up in labour for 20hrs and then had an emergency ceasar. Think about your circumstances carefully before deciding to go ahead or not go ahead with it.

good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Curiously, how far away from your cervix was your placenta? Mine was about 2cm away at morphology but my obstetrician has said that even if it hasn't moved at 34 weeks he would still be happy for me to have a vaginal delivery. If it causes problems in labour and I start to bleed, then we'll deal with it then. I was happy with that as I am not keen for a cesarean at all. Most placentas will move up as the lower segment of the uterus grows. Different story if the placenta is over or the edge is at the opening of the cervix of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darla88 View Post
    Hi there,

I am 21 weeks along with first bub and planning to stay at Westmead Private Hospital with HCF as my private health fund.

My last OB appointment I was told I had a low lying placenta and by 34 week if this has not gone up than will need to have a c-section.

Does any one know the cost of c-section at the hospital, Anaesthetist etc? Although the doctor has told me that he believe that 80% chance I will be able to have a natural birth I need to budget just in case I made need the surgery.

Any help will be great,
    Sorry I'm not clear on your question? Are you wanting to know the out of pocket costs? Your health insurance will cover the cost of a vaginal or c-section birth. Your out of pocket costs shouldn't be much.
    The only out of pocket charge I had was for the Paediatrician who looked after my daughter and pathology fees while I was in icu (I was unwell). Some anaesthetists charge a gap fee not covered by insurance but you need to contact them directly as fees vary widely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    The report indicates 1.7cm away from OS so not partial of completely covered. I am hoping that it moves up so I dont have to have c-section. Was really hoping for a natural birth..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the advice. I just called the reception and asked for the an estimated cost.

Anaesthetist - around 1K
    Ped - around $500

The c-section is part of his management fee which is $3200

Will confirm the OB about assisting surgery

This helped alot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darla88 View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I just called the reception and asked for the an estimated cost.

Anaesthetist - around 1K
    Ped - around $500

The c-section is part of his management fee which is $3200

Will confirm the OB about assisting surgery

This helped alot
    Just an FYI you will get a medicare rebate for part of the paed and also the Anaesthetist. They cannot tell you how much rebate as it depends if you have reached your safety net.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your doctor should be able to give you an item number for the procedure, plus any additional item numbers that should be required, if you call your health fund they should be able to tell you what you get covered for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my babies under HCF, you pay your managment fee, plus any additional appointments then any hospital excess. The only difference with the c section is that you'll pay for your anethetist (Prob around $1000 out of pocket) and paed ($300-500).