+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Indoor only cats, question.

We recently bought a beautiful Russian Blue kitten, age 13 weeks. The breeder said not to let him outdoors (without a harness / lead) because Russian blues have no road sense and he could easily get hit by a car.
    So he's 17 weeks old now and tries to run outside every time we go in or out the back door. The back door is off the rumpus room which is his playroom. Sometimes he just hangs around there.
    Is this normal? It seems like he wants to be outdoors but I'm scared to leave him out on his own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Totally normal. He will get used to it eventually you just need to stay strong and keep him inside.

I wouldn't let him out. We've always kept our cats inside. Better for the environment and their health and lifespan!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

DynamiteandaLazerBeam  (10-02-2017),gingermillie  (08-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Totally normal. He will get used to it eventually you just need to stay strong and keep him inside.

I wouldn't let him out. We've always kept our cats inside. Better for the environment and their health and lifespan!
    ^^ exactly this. My 2 cats were inside only and only while they were young were they inquisitive about going outside once they grew up they never even tried to get out. Try and hold strong because I think if you give them a taste of outside then they want to go out more and it will be a losing battle to keep him in!
    I now have outside/inside cats (not my choice they were DHs cats) and they bring so much dirt in it drives me nuts!! So that's a definite benefit of inside only cats

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've got a rag doll x cat - she's nearly 8. Lots of breeders of that particular breed recommend indoor only, for the same reason the breeder told you, but my cat loves being outside.
    I've had cats all my life and they've all been indoor/outdoor cats.
    I think there is a possibility your cat may be hit by a car, may wander, may do a range of things. But it's not guaranteed.
    I did a quick google for you and found some pretty weird pages suggesting that Russian Blue's should be indoor only because of cars, dogs, that outdoor cats aren't given medical care, and people might steal them!
    But then I found a Burke's backyard fact sheet on the breed
    http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/fac...ian-blue-cats/
    It seems to be a little more practical.
    I think any outdoor pet could be a risk, but it's up to you to decide how much risk.
    Maybe start with taking him outside with you being there and see how he responds.
    Sounds like you've got a beautiful new member of the family! Enjoy him. And do whatever is right for you and kitty!

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a tabby who bolts straight out open doors. He is 5 now and when he does get outside he goes looking for our dog - they are best buddies.
    He isn't allowed outside on his but he is ok when we are out there, he just basically eats grass, has a spew, talks to the birds then chases the dog around. He has learnt how far he is allowed to go and as dorky as it sounds, has earned our trust to be off his leash. Like I said he isn't out there on his own and he is usually only outside for like 20 mins total on a weekend. Cats love rolling on hot concrete!

Get a harness and a lead and take him for a walk when he is a bit older (once all his vaccinations are done, he will love it
    Last edited by ceejie; 08-02-2017 at 19:26.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got 2 kittens nearly a year ago and decided to keep them as indoor cats. DH built them a cat run outside so they can get some sun, dirt, grass etc. They go out there quite a lot. There's a cat flap from our laundry that leads to the cat run. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all!
    To those who have said don't take him out at all, what about in the harness / lead? Should I stop so he doesn't love it outside?

What about a cat run/cage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As long as you can keep him contained/safe then let him outside.

By that I mean secure harness/lead or cat run.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I'd keep him inside too, pedigree cats are generally not very street smart, my British Blue isn't. Kittens are usually pretty curious and adventurous so he will probably grow out of it, when you desex them they tend to become more fat and lazy cat run's are great for indoor cats we have one and they love it. Check out pinterest, you can find some great ideas.