+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Class size, wwyd?

My year 2 daughters class has been merged with a year 1 class yesterday. They took 6 kids out of her class and added in 12 year 1 students. They now have 27 students in their class and there's 26 in the straight year 2 class. I'm not sure how many remain in the straight yr 1 class. This is a nsw public school. We have a new principal this year, in previous years funding was somehow managed so we could have the extra teacher, new principal says this isn't possible this year. We are in a growth area with hundreds/thousands of homes just built or nearly built and all will be zoned to our school.

The classroom is is a small demountable and there's not much room for the kids. There's no teachers aide, they also have 2 part time teachers so one doing m,t and the other w,t,f. I think it's not a great arrangement, mainly due to class size and classroom size. Apparently we will just have to suck it up when numbers trickle in from the new housing, possibly we'll get funding for an aide (though how they'll all fit in the room I'm not sure). So are the guidelines just guidelines or are there actual limits as to how many kids can be in a class in nsw public schools? For health and safety are there limits for the demountable classrooms?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It sounds more like a funding issue, not a new principal issue, and will be directly related to the rules set by the education department.
    Hopefully a teacher can explain it in more detail.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

CheekyChicken  (07-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's supposed to be max 22 for year 1 and 24 for year 2 ? Not sure if it's just a suggestion or regulation though

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe ring the education department?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in SA and for DS2 class they where
    R/1 24 kids
    Yr 1 20 kids
    2/3 24 kids
    2/3 again we started with 22 but ended up being 26 as more kids came to the school

This year he is 3/4 and I think it's around 24 again

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CheekyChicken View Post
    My year 2 daughters class has been merged with a year 1 class yesterday. They took 6 kids out of her class and added in 12 year 1 students. They now have 27 students in their class and there's 26 in the straight year 2 class. I'm not sure how many remain in the straight yr 1 class. This is a nsw public school. We have a new principal this year, in previous years funding was somehow managed so we could have the extra teacher, new principal says this isn't possible this year. We are in a growth area with hundreds/thousands of homes just built or nearly built and all will be zoned to our school.

The classroom is is a small demountable and there's not much room for the kids. There's no teachers aide, they also have 2 part time teachers so one doing m,t and the other w,t,f. I think it's not a great arrangement, mainly due to class size and classroom size. Apparently we will just have to suck it up when numbers trickle in from the new housing, possibly we'll get funding for an aide (though how they'll all fit in the room I'm not sure). So are the guidelines just guidelines or are there actual limits as to how many kids can be in a class in nsw public schools? For health and safety are there limits for the demountable classrooms?
    Funding for an aide needs to come from the school's own budget but Year 1 classes in nsw should not exceed 22, year 2 classes should not exceed 24. No 3-6 class need to exceed 30.

This is in the staffing agreement between the dept and the nsw teachers federation.

I would be reminding the principal of this agreement and also be reminding them that the school is allocated the number of teachers according to student numbers. If the principal still says that they can't afford it then remind them of the gonski funding they have been given this year.

The teachers should be contacting the union. This is appalling.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Being on the P&C I am privy to some basic funding info. Obviously the bigger the school gets the more funding they get according to what band/size they are. I struggle to understand how their funding has gone down if you suburb has experienced a boom? I also know that naplans and the SES of families does effect funding. But if they are all new houses then your area clearly isn't low SES.

As BRV said, those numbers are against the agreement and are set for a reason. Our numbers didn't get to the late 20's/30 kids until DD hit year 6 and even then I wasn't a fan. Having 27 in a 1/2 class is completely ridiculous. The kids will suffer and so will those poor teachers

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was in my kids school newsletter last week hope it helps IMG_1486461742.639236.jpg

15. The Following User Says Thank You to our4boys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you all for confirming what I believe. As far as I know, in previous years the schools own funding covered extra teaching staff that we weren't entitled to in order to keep class sizes low And offer flexibility for the new students who are starting to trickle in.

From what I could gather this afternoon we actually have 1 full time teacher, 2 part time teachers doing the equivalent of 1 full time role and the third teacher actually only does 4 days (the kids have kitchen garden, PE, scripture and assembly on the day that he doesn't teach so they aren't utilising a teacher on that day at all). This would be for a total of approx 78 (or more) year 1 and 2 students. So for 78 kids (from 5-8 years old) we don't even have the equivalent of 3 teachers. Some of these kids don't have English as a first language, one moved from overseas last year without any English and she's in a class with 27! Surely it can't be right.

we do have a dedicated cooking teacher, so if we keep him does this mean we are down a teacher for classroom teaching in our allocation? We had a dedicated PE teacher but he's teaching in the classroom full time this year.

we are 988 on the icsea value, whatever that means.
    Last edited by CheekyChicken; 07-02-2017 at 20:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The icsea value is average, it's just a socio economic score pretty much.

The school can employ extra teachers, but the class sizes shouldn't be that big. I would be raising the issue with the principal.