+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried from 35weeks but got nothing. I was clueless at hand expressing and despite being shown a few times I still am. I had no trouble with a pump though after DS was born...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In my personal experience, if your child is needing extra feeds/ isnt feeding from your breast during the first few days, the best thing to do is express colostrum after the baby is born & during that first week until the milk comes in or until baby starts feeding. Expressing after the birth will help bring milk in, whereas expressing beforehand won't. I had non-feeders who couldnt be bothered breastfeeding for the first few weeks, lol. We had a routine - I'd do a 40 minute attempt at breastfeeding (in which we would have NO success!), then I would syringe feed what I had expressed previously, then I would express for the next feed. Just from expressing, even without the baby feeding from me at all, my milk came in by day 3. If you've had previous difficulties, I personally would recommend a good breast pump - saved my breastfeeding relationship - the number of a good lactation consultant, and any extra milk you need to feed baby (either expressed or formula if need be) feed via a syringe or SNS. I avoid bottles for the first few weeks, it is an entirely different way of sucking. When I did start using bottles, I used the 'Medela Calma' bottles - the baby has to draw back like with a nipple, rather than getting milk by clamping down on a bottle.

All the best for this time around!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    thanks for the tip on the bottles to use. my ds definitely loved the fast flow of bottles which led us more towards formula too