+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default anyone express before baby born

wondering if anyone started breast pumping before baby was born so your supply was in and you had some to give baby first up if for some reason u couldn't do the first feed. (avoiding hospital giving formula)?
    I thought it could trigger labour but read online otherwise??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Lots of people do it, and is actually recommended for women who have diabetes. It's not so much to bring your milk in though, as that won't happen until the placenta is out and the hormone shift happens. It's recommended from around 35 weeks. The only risk is that nipple stimulation is one of the suggested ways to potentially naturally induce labour.

Depending on your risk factors, if you're only doing it 1-2 times a day, you should be ok. If you start cramping or tightening then just stop right away.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (07-02-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think you'd have much luck eith a pump - better off hand expressing.

I tried, and got the tiniest bits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey
    I hand expressed from 36 weeks as I have diabetes so bub would potentially have low sugar after his birth. I didn't have huge success but it is worthwhile to persevere if you can! Every little bit helps. I was only getting 0.2ml and I would express for about half an hr at a time. If you can find a chemist that sells 1ml syringes I found those to be the best way to collect the colostrum.

There is some good info on the Australian breastfeeding assoc. website re hand expressing, and also some good videos on YouTube that I found quite helpful, especially with hand positioning etc.

It is very unlikely to trigger labour, but stop if you feel any cramping etc.

I didn't find my milk came in any quicker, but that extra bit of colostrum is really helpful when bub is getting hungrier after the first day or so.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    From about 38 weeks I used the pump to bring colostrum out and would move the pump when I could see the drops on my nipple and would collect them with a syringe and then would continue to pump to bring more out etc.

I did it quite a bit and went over my due date so definitely didn't bring on labour for me.

As for milk, that won't come in until after the birth but yes colostrum is great. I wanted to have it with us at the hospital in case. Bub ended up having over 10ml of expressed colostrum in the first 48hrs plus whatever she got out of me herself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I did from 36/37 weeks. It didn't bring on labour. I actually still have some in the freezer. Milk came in day 4 I think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I expressed from 35 wks as I had scheduled c-sec at 37wks.

I hand expressed into a small baby bottle then put the colostrum into 3ml syringes then they went into the freezer. I did this 2 times a day, morning and night.

The only reason was because bubs was coming out earlier because of health issues in both our parts so we didn't know how ds would latch on. Latching was fine and I never used the syringes at all.

Milk came in on day 3 this time and my first ds was also day 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for all your replies! I didn't realise it wouldn't bring milk in any sooner. I have been able to squeeze some out but I don't see how I could collect it. will try the syringe thing just in case.

my first son had formula in hospital and I believe that didn't help and I ended up failing at bf. so willing to do all I can this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    thanks for all your replies! I didn't realise it wouldn't bring milk in any sooner. I have been able to squeeze some out but I don't see how I could collect it. will try the syringe thing just in case.

my first son had formula in hospital and I believe that didn't help and I ended up failing at bf. so willing to do all I can this time
    I had to express colostrum for my dd when she was in neonatal care before my milk came in. We used a syringe to suck it up (it literally comes out in drops) and I did the expressing by hand and DH did the collecting with the syringe. Much easier to do if you have someone to help you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried but it immediately caused tightening in my uterus so I stopped