+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scans showing different Due Dates

I got different due dates from my scans. Which one should I go with? Dating scan have me a due date of 25/5/17, morphology scan gave me due date of 15/5/17. Should I go with second date or first one and assume he is a big Bub?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The earliest scan is usually the most accurate 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    The earliest scan is usually the most accurate
    This is what I've been told too. Out of interest, is one closer to the date your lmp would give?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely the first. My understanding is that the first 12 weeks or so they all grow at about the same rate so it's likely to be more accurate than the second when so many other factors have come in to play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd say the first one too, when I went for my morph scan I was told that a baby could measure up to 2 weeks either way and it would be considered normal at that stage.
    He may have just had a little growth spurt right before the scan which would make him seem bigger

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dating scan is most accurate as they are using the crown-rump length (CRL) to measure Bub and get the due date. During the morphology they are relying on a number of factors to estimate due date such as biparietal diameter (head), abdominal circumference and femur length to get the estimated weight and dates. Too many variables.

I think these days they are saying the nuchal translucency scan is the most accurate at dating Bub, but if you didn't have the NT scan, then the dating scan is the next most reliable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post

I think these days they are saying the nuchal translucency scan is the most accurate at dating Bub, but if you didn't have the NT scan, then the dating scan is the next most reliable.
    I was interested to read this. My dating scan put my due date 4 days after what I think based on my lmp. Whereas my nuchal puts the due date 2 days before the lmp estimate. Given I'm confident about my dates, my midwife will stick with the date my lmp gives, but I think my nuchal was the more accurate scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ten days is a lot to be out. It seems like the early scan was one of those ones that can be up to a week out for you.
    If it were me I would choose somewhere in the middle.
    It's likely the hospital will go with the early scan date though.
    Do you have a lmp date?
    With my 4th baby I was given the same date at 11wks and 18wks. My own date was 4/5 days later than that date though. I stayed with the scan date which made it suck when I went 'over'.
    Turned out he was just a big baby and measured 5 days ahead both times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if my exact lmp dates. I know I had a period around when I should have but I was very doped on pain killers and in lots of pain with my wisdom tooth which I then had out and wasn't paying much attention to anything else going on lol. But I do remember thinking I should have been due a little earlier then the dating scan due date. I did get a nuchal scan but don't wasnt given any estimated due dates from it. I don't normally have big babies but I am having a boy and only had girls before. I'm thinking that I'll stick with original due date officially for now but I'll probably go with a more in between date for my own sake lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I'd put a little update here.
    So we just keep the due date given by my first scan which was the 25th May. Our little bundle arrives on the 23rd May via a spontaneous vag delivery. However after delivery my midwife commented that he must in fact be over cooked and not early. His skin was very wrinkly, dry and had no Vernix. So I think in our case our second scan was most likely more accurate. So he would technically have been about 8 days late. Although in a way I am happy we stuck with our original date because we weren't impatiently waiting thinking he was late and making it seem to last longer
    Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is in the same situation.