+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travel to Singapore during pregnancy

Help! I'm pregnant and booked a holiday to Singapore and have now realised there are travel warnings for pregnant women to "reconsider non essential travel" due to risk of Zika virus. My tickets and accommodation bookings are non refundable Has anyone travelled to Singapore recently and have any idea on how bad the risk is there? Is it safe to go and use lots of precautions with covering up, insect repellant etc. or is it way too risky?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

i have been been monitoring the situation since last year as we are planning to go in the next couple of months (nothing booked yet).

Singapore has been very vigilant with Zika with regular mosquito spraying and advertisements for the locals to get rid of standing water etc. There is a government website where they post their cases and the location - if you google 'Singapore Zika and nea' the website will come up. They haven't had a case since around 12 Jan and only 1 this year. There was only 2 in December and no map locations at the time so I think they came to the country with it. There are no cases at all currently.

no one can guarantee you would be 100% safe but I think if you have insect repellent you should be pretty close. With my history, the way things are in Singapore, I would still go if I was lucky enough to be pregnant at again.

Talk to to your GP or call DFAT if you are really worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much Deskar. I have looked in to it quite a bit now and can see that there are no reported cases of Microcephaly caused by Zika coming from Singapore which is comforting to know. And I agree that from what I have read Singapore have been extremely vigilant since the outbreak and the numbers of reports of people affected has reduced significantly. I think I will still go and will be very prepared and cautious. Thanks 🙂

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I went to Singapore in January - and as always Singapore is super clean and gorgeous. (I am not pregnant though)

Standing water is obviously an issue there though - in that climate they always have water ... so they are super vigilant.

I would avoid the Zoo and Night Safari ... but otherwise have fun and dont stress too much

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Hoegie27  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Also pregnant travelling to Singapore

Hi there!!! I am also pregnant with my 1st baby (only 8 wks) and have this dilemma...to go or not to go Singapore??? We also booked some time in Malaysia 😯 Did you end up going to Singapore???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LozZed View Post
    Hi there!!! I am also pregnant with my 1st baby (only 8 wks) and have this dilemma...to go or not to go Singapore??? We also booked some time in Malaysia Did you end up going to Singapore???
    Singapore is an amazing place. Why wouldn't you go? My parents lived there for 10 yrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went to Bali while pregnant & with Zika warning... I was just really vigilant with mozzie prevention... I put repellent on whenever I was out in the evening & my hubby would do a check of the room before we went to bed... I took mozzie coils & repellant with me from home, not sure if you'd be allowed to take into Singapore but you could probably email the hotel to get the to organise you some before you get there, otherwise Singapore is pretty Westernised so plenty of chemists

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, congratulations! Yes, I still went and had no issues at all. Did not see one single mosquito, however we were super careful about where we went especially at night time and I wore repellant every time I went outside just to be on the safe side. I personally think the warnings are a little over the top but it's still good to be wary and make sure you stay protected!!