+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Early Scans

Hi all just wondering if anyone has had an early scan (before 6 weeks) and what did they see if anything?
    I'm 5+5 today and my HCG numbers have slowed down (not doubling every 48 hours) so the dr is a bit concerned and wants me to come in today for an ultrasound.

my numbers:
    25/01 - 4w - 216
    27/01 - 4w2d - 539
    29/01 - 4w4d - 1340
    02/02 - 5w1d - 4032
    04/02 - 5w3d - they didn't tell me exact number will find out today but was over 6000.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shmish View Post
    Hi all just wondering if anyone has had an early scan (before 6 weeks) and what did they see if anything?
    I'm 5+5 today and my HCG numbers have slowed down (not doubling every 48 hours) so the dr is a bit concerned and wants me to come in today for an ultrasound.

my numbers:
    25/01 - 4w - 216
    27/01 - 4w2d - 539
    29/01 - 4w4d - 1340
    02/02 - 5w1d - 4032
    04/02 - 5w3d - they didn't tell me exact number will find out today but was over 6000.

I had several scans starting from 5w3d as I had a fairly significant bleed at 4w2d. At that point my HCG was doubling as it should and a blood test that day recorded it at 10,879. In fact, I had many blood tests done in the first few weeks and my HCG had always consistently doubled - if not tripled! - every time.

Despite this, my first scan showed an empty sac. No fetal pole. No yolk sac. No baby.

I had a couple of repeat scans done (at 6w3d and 7w) and was told at both that I had an empty sac. There was still absolutely NOTHING to see. A final scan was scheduled for 8 weeks in order to confirm it was ok for me to proceed to a D&C and end the whole sorry affair.

It was at the 8 week scan that we saw our baby! There was a yolk sac, a fetal pole, the bubba happily snuggled in, and a heartbeat of 163!

We were stunned.

I know I may be the exception to the rule, and that not everyone has the happy outcome I did (I'm currently 19 weeks and things are going well.) BUT what I would say is that despite your numbers not being ideal, it is definitely NOT too late for a positive result.

So many things can affect what you can see on a scan - position of the sac in the uterus, how your uterus itself is positioned (mine is tilted so it made things VERY difficult to see), and HCG levels.

I'll cross my fingers for you hon. I know how worrying this time is for you and I'm sure like I was, you are scared and worried and feeling desperate. I wish I had the words to comfort you but all I know for sure is you will be ok no matter what happens. You will get through this!

All the very best, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a scan at 5 weeks 4 days after a bleed. There was a sac with a fetal pole but no baby or heart beat. I was told at this point they couldn't tell if the pregnancy would continue.

Went back at 6+2 and there was baby with a heartbeat

Good luck ☺

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Thescientist For This Useful Post:

shmish  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    HCG doubling slows down when you get around 6000. It's good they are sending you for a scan as HCG is unreliable. You may/may not have anything to see this early. My fingers are crossed for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations! thats amazing and i am so happy for you.

I've had 4 losses so i am very anxious about the whole thing and it makes it so hard when everyone is so different and every pregnant is so different so there are never any definite answers just lots of waiting. i am trying to stay hopeful. my scan is in 3 hours and they have already booked me in for another one in a weeks time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shmish For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Deskar - scan is in a few hours will keep everyone posted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shmish For This Useful Post:

Deskar  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations! thats amazing and i am so happy for you.

I've had 4 losses so i am very anxious about the whole thing and it makes it so hard when everyone is so different and every pregnant is so different so there are never any definite answers just lots of waiting. i am trying to stay hopeful. my scan is in 3 hours and they have already booked me in for another one in a weeks time.
    It's always hard after a loss You never get that innocence back. I have only been pregnant once before and that ended in a MMC, so I know that pain too.

Good luck at your scan! I'll be stalking for an update!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

shmish  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll be stalking too, good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deskar For This Useful Post:

shmish  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your replies - i truly appreciate it.

Have just come home from my scan. Everyone was very positive, they clearly saw the gestational sac and yolk sac straight away.

GS - 8.4mm
    YS - 3.0mm

Then they saw what they thought might be the foetal pole but wasn't 100% sure - measured it anyway at 1.2mm but was told not to pay to much attention to that at this stage.

no heart beat detected but was told its too early. back next Monday for another scan. Its going to be a long anxious week for me.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmish For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (06-02-2017),Deskar  (06-02-2017),HappySalsa  (06-02-2017),JustJaq  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your replies - i truly appreciate it.

Have just come home from my scan. Everyone was very positive, they clearly saw the gestational sac and yolk sac straight away.

GS - 8.4mm
    YS - 3.0mm

Then they saw what they thought might be the foetal pole but wasn't 100% sure - measured it anyway at 1.2mm but was told not to pay to much attention to that at this stage.

no heart beat detected but was told its too early. back next Monday for another scan. Its going to be a long anxious week for me.

Thank you for the update!

Everything they've seen sounds very positive at the moment so at this point I'd recommend you just try and relax as much as you can (easier said than done, I know!)

The fact that there is a clear yolk sac and possibly a fetal pole means that there is development of some kind trying to happen. It could very well be that it's just too early.

I will be lurking on Monday to see how you go

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

shmish  (06-02-2017)