+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Visiting Canberra

So we are taking DS to Canberra for his 3rd birthday. We decided to take him to the zoo.. he loves animals and where we live there isn't a lot of exciting stuff.

So we are planning to leave on Sunday (DS birthday) and going straight to the zoo, we haven't been there since it was upgraded. We are in Forrest (df and I have stayed there plenty of times and it's enough for a comfy bed)

We don't know what to do for our arvo/evening? We haven't really done a lot in Canberra since having DS (we lived there years ago but that was way before DS lol) can anyone suggest somewhere nice but kid friendly for dinner? Anything fun to do in the evening?

We are leaving Monday sometime and were thinking of going to the dinosaur museum but I'm not sure if DS will care too much? He's like the energiser bunny on speed lately. He is just constantly on the go.
    Any suggestions on some nice cafes, restaurants and things to do.
    We won't be staying long but also don't mind leaving mid arvo so can do some things.
    Thanks!

Sorry for the ramble lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Old Parliament House and questacon both have great areas for your ds' age. The dinosaur museum's garden holds toddler's attention well but I wouldn't bother paying to go inside.
    There are lots of nice cafes and restaurants. If you're happy to visit the suburbs then I'd suggest Little Oink in Cook for brunch. They've got toys for kids and tasty food as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Old Parliament House and questacon both have great areas for your ds' age. The dinosaur museum's garden holds toddler's attention well but I wouldn't bother paying to go inside.
    There are lots of nice cafes and restaurants. If you're happy to visit the suburbs then I'd suggest Little Oink in Cook for brunch. They've got toys for kids and tasty food as well.
    I agree with BettyV. Even a stroll around Lake Burley Griffin up to the Boundless Playground on the north side of the lake might be nice.

If you have a car maybe heading out to Rodney's or Tulip's at Pialligo (near airport), might be fun and pretty sure both have play areas.

If you do go to Gold Creek to see Dinosaur Museum, Cafe Injoy has a playground nearby as well ( I think??)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Visiting Canberra

Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    I didn't even think of questacon lol I figured DS was too young. I haven't been to Parliament House in so long I had no idea lol
    I did see the prices and thought it seemed like a lot to pay for DS who likes to touch everything in 30 seconds lol
    I can remember a few df and I used to go to a lot but haven't really tried many when we have had DS. Stuck to the basics lol
    We are happy to travel around Canberra I actually like driving around Canberra lol that sounds lovely I have such trouble with places to eat because DS and df have the same eating habits. Very very limited. Lol

And thank you @BettyV

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    I agree with BettyV. Even a stroll around Lake Burley Griffin up to the Boundless Playground on the north side of the lake might be nice.

If you have a car maybe heading out to Rodney's or Tulip's at Pialligo (near airport), might be fun and pretty sure both have play areas.

If you do go to Gold Creek to see Dinosaur Museum, Cafe Injoy has a playground nearby as well ( I think??)
    Thanks! A walk around lake burley griffin would be nice lol df and I spent many many nights sitting around there chatting when we first started dating lol

Thanks! A play area is a big plus lol

We leave Canberra past gold creek so it's quite easy to stop there lol sounds good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with all of the above boundless is a great park for energiser bunnies - fully fenced!!

The NGA has a fantastic new play area (currently Versailles themed) with lots of hands on activities - it's across the road from Questacon so you could do both.

Dh and I like to go to Koko Black in Civic as a treat. It's good coffee and a chocolate teddy bear pop keeps DS2 happy while we enjoy a moment of peace (can also highly recommend the chocolate Alchemy Gateau ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gold Creek is great for kids, at 3 my son loved the dinosaur museum. We practically lived at the Reptile Zoo which is also there, it's small but very hands on and the staff are wonderful with little ones. Cockington Green and the Walk in Aviary are also fun for kids and adults. Cafe Injoy is very basic food wise but does have a small fenced in playground and a pond with fish.

Mini Q at Questacon is always a hit, not too far away is a fish and chip joint called Snapper which is underneath the Yacht Club, the fish is great and there is lots of space to run around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are heading to Koko Black you'll have to have a ride on the Carousel in Civic

Thanks
    Reviews
    The arboretum playground is amazing!!! And there is a cafe there too... view is spectacular!!! Your 3yr old would love it!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    All these ideas are making me feel like planning a trip to Canberra!!