ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    The phone one: it could have been said nicer, but I agree with the sentiment.

The food: all I ever think when I see stuff like this, is these people would be *horrified* if they saw the lunch boxes of the LSE schools I've worked in. Absolutely horrified! No fruit, no veg, chips, biscuits, pre-packaged cakes, white bread and spread sandwiches... and yet, we teachers are happy... because the kids actually *have* food.
    Last year on a very long school concert day, when the kids needed extra food, one boy came with a packet of Extra and a lemon. Not even a cut lemon, just a lemon.
    I saw a grade one boy get $15 out of his bag and head toward the canteen yesterday.

If a piece of cake is flipping people out, they need some perspective. For all they know it's made with chickpeas, quinoa and cacao or something.
    I feel like this is similar to our school. We have 3 main groups of children at the school. Public service kids, farmers kids and then a LSE group. It's not uncommon to see the LSE kids, even preschool aged, rock up with a pack of chips, a Mars bar and a Dare Iced Coffee and that's it.
    I thinks that's why the healthy lunches thing, I mention in my other post, started. Because that way, at least once a week, the school knows the kids are eating a great hearty meal. Berating the children or their parents constantly isn't going to change anything. Educating the kids about healthy foods without "forcing it" is going to receive a much better response.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Yes thank you! The government is so bloody stupid!!!

We have a hard policy yet I make cakes etc out of chickpeas etc and also cacao. Dairy free and follow nut allergy for other kids.

My kids have had struggles with food so if I sent them with a cheese burger and they ate it I would be thrilled these idiots stress me out!
    I know, right!!! My kids don't even eat hamburgers or pizza o pastry items like sausage rolls and pies etc. I'd be overjoyed if they did!

So sandwiches with spreads is what they'll eat for lunch. They both only eat 1 kind of vegetable too 1 like carrots the other likes peas.

I certainly hope I'm not getting any notes home! They can go jump

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-02-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    What about this one from today... Peoples thoughts on this one? Attachment 88637
    My daughters old preschool used to do stuff like this. We couldn't even send healthy muffins because this could cause jealousy between the kids. I spoke to them on numerous occasions saying they aren't teaching the children anything, once they are off to school the following year it's every man for themselves with food then but it made no difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I feel like this is similar to our school. We have 3 main groups of children at the school. Public service kids, farmers kids and then a LSE group. It's not uncommon to see the LSE kids, even preschool aged, rock up with a pack of chips, a Mars bar and a Dare Iced Coffee and that's it.
    I thinks that's why the healthy lunches thing, I mention in my other post, started. Because that way, at least once a week, the school knows the kids are eating a great hearty meal. Berating the children or their parents constantly isn't going to change anything. Educating the kids about healthy foods without "forcing it" is going to receive a much better response.
    What does LSE mean?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just addressing the original post, I would say the childcare had seen the phone issue happening and breaking a little child's heart on far too many occasions. This may have been the finally straw! Whether it's worked related or not, I don't think taking 5 minutes out of your time to put down your phone when picking up your child is too hard. The look on my girls faces every time I pick them up from school and they want to tell me about their day is worth it. They would be devastated if they couldn't chat straight away!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What does LSE mean?
    Low Socio Economic

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Hopeful37  (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't have a problem with preschools having a healthy food policy if it is explicit from the beginning. The preschool my DD1 attended made it clear during the enrolment process what food wasn't allowed. The most I could get away with was milk arrowroot. I used to pack a sandwich, crackers, fruit, sultanas, cheese, occasionally milk arrowroot.

Unless children have sensory issues, a lot of fussy eaters will eat when their parents aren't there. My DD1 was my fussiest but would eat the cooked lunches at daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

Unless children have sensory issues, a lot of fussy eaters will eat when their parents aren't there. My DD1 was my fussiest but would eat the cooked lunches at daycare.
    Sadly that's not my kids

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-02-2017),twinklify  (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think most kids ( excluding sensory issues) will eat what is given to them when the parents are there and they have no choice. Kids are given way to much choice when it comes to eating. Asking a 3 year what they want to eat is just asking for problems imo. You hear people say oh my kid " only eats biscuits only eats nuggets and so on". Of course they would if they are given the option to eat that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I think most kids ( excluding sensory issues) will eat what is given to them when the parents are there and they have no choice. Kids are given way to much choice when it comes to eating. Asking a 3 year what they want to eat is just asking for problems imo. You hear people say oh my kid " only eats biscuits only eats nuggets and so on". Of course they would if they are given the option to eat that.
    How old are your kids? This is absolutely not the case for my kids and this is a very black and white view of eating and usually comes from people with no kids or easy eating kids who devour almost anything.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (05-02-2017),delirium  (05-02-2017),gingermillie  (05-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (05-02-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (05-02-2017),Mod-Degrassi  (05-02-2017),Renn  (05-02-2017),twinklify  (05-02-2017)