+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a great sign. It breaks my heart when I hear kids calling for a parent and they are too busy on their phone..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our preschool has a "no poppers, chips, lollies, chocolate" type rule but it was put in place with parents. And it's a bit relaxed. I might drop the kids off and say "look, I ran out of crackers for them so they just got chips for today" and it's fine. Because it's not a regular thing.
    I run canteen at school and we don't have all the packaged foods. We don't open for recess etc. I do homemade meals like spaghetti or pizza or chicken with rice etc. it's only a small canteen so only two options per week and only open two days a week. The school does "Healthy lunches" one day a week. Where the kids all get together a cook their lunch and cook a nice healthy food and learn about what makes it healthy etc. I think that's a much better idea than lunchbox policing. My kids respond really well because it's not just "don't eat chips" it's "eat this instead because ..." and they have a role in preparing and cooking it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-02-2017),Mod-Nomsie  (04-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Ahalfdozen I love the idea of the kids cooking a healthy lunch together once a week - teaches them about healthy eating, cooking skills and how to prepare a healthy meal, and I'm sure would increase the kinds of foods they are exposed to. Even better if the kids are given a simple recipe and shopping list to take home with the option to prepare the meal with/ for their families - that's a much better way to educate and help families with healthy eating, particularly families who struggle in this area, rather than a nasty note, and the kids would probably pressure their families to make the meal so they can show off their skills. What a great idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    @Ahalfdozen I love the idea of the kids cooking a healthy lunch together once a week - teaches them about healthy eating, cooking skills and how to prepare a healthy meal, and I'm sure would increase the kinds of foods they are exposed to. Even better if the kids are given a simple recipe and shopping list to take home with the option to prepare the meal with/ for their families - that's a much better way to educate and help families with healthy eating, particularly families who struggle in this area, rather than a nasty note, and the kids would probably pressure their families to make the meal so they can show off their skills. What a great idea!
    When it first started at the school, my son would suddenly start coming home telling me which veges were his favourites etc. Was fantastic. It also helps that they grow the vege in the schools vege patch so the kids get the "whole story".

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    The phone one: it could have been said nicer, but I agree with the sentiment.

The food: all I ever think when I see stuff like this, is these people would be *horrified* if they saw the lunch boxes of the LSE schools I've worked in. Absolutely horrified! No fruit, no veg, chips, biscuits, pre-packaged cakes, white bread and spread sandwiches... and yet, we teachers are happy... because the kids actually *have* food.
    Last year on a very long school concert day, when the kids needed extra food, one boy came with a packet of Extra and a lemon. Not even a cut lemon, just a lemon.
    I saw a grade one boy get $15 out of his bag and head toward the canteen yesterday.

If a piece of cake is flipping people out, they need some perspective. For all they know it's made with chickpeas, quinoa and cacao or something.

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-02-2017),AdornedWithCats  (04-02-2017),Full House  (05-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-02-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (04-02-2017),Mod-Degrassi  (04-02-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (04-02-2017),PomPoms  (04-02-2017),Renn  (05-02-2017),TheGooch  (05-02-2017),Tinkers  (05-02-2017),wobbleyhorse  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post

The food: all I ever think when I see stuff like this, is these people would be *horrified* if they saw the lunch boxes of the LSE schools I've worked in. Absolutely horrified! No fruit, no veg, chips, biscuits, pre-packaged cakes, white bread and spread sandwiches... and yet, we teachers are happy... because the kids actually *have* food.
    Last year on a very long school concert day, when the kids needed extra food, one boy came with a packet of Extra and a lemon. Not even a cut lemon, just a lemon.
    I saw a grade one boy get $15 out of his bag and head toward the canteen yesterday.

If a piece of cake is flipping people out, they need some perspective. For all they know it's made with chickpeas, quinoa and cacao or something.
    A packet of extra and a lemon?! That's horrible. Is anything said to the parents in a situation like this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It really annoys me when I hear of schools that don't allow home baked goods because they aren't healthy but they allow muesli bars and squeezy yoghurt. There is no way of knowing what's in homemade food. If it came from my house there is a fair chance it's got zucchini or carrot hidden in it.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-02-2017),babyno1onboard  (05-02-2017),gingermillie  (04-02-2017),LaDiDah  (04-02-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (05-02-2017),PomPoms  (04-02-2017),twinklify  (05-02-2017)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    A packet of extra and a lemon?! That's horrible. Is anything said to the parents in a situation like this?
    Yes, but nothing ever changes.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes thank you! The government is so bloody stupid!!!

We have a hard policy yet I make cakes etc out of chickpeas etc and also cacao. Dairy free and follow nut allergy for other kids.

My kids have had struggles with food so if I sent them with a cheese burger and they ate it I would be thrilled these idiots stress me out!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, but nothing ever changes.
    Geez you wonder what goes on at home if they are willing to send their kids to school with that trash to eat