+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I looked at the Sistema boxes, but they were huge.
    I'll have a look at the others, thank you
    Check out the yumbox, it's about $40 but sometimes you can find it on sale for like $30-$35. It's not that big, fits nicely in DDs daycare bag

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Kmart do a cheapo bento style lunch box for $5 & it fits perfectly inside most insulated lunch bags.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't have an issue with the bento boxes per say (although they stop being big enough very quickly for the price) but the intent behind those lunch box groups. It's all so competitive and fake. Granted I live in the country, we are uncultured out here but I've never seen a single bento. We use the insulated Smashboxes with ice bricks inside as it gets well over 40 degrees in my area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't have an issue with the bento boxes per say (although they stop being big enough very quickly for the price) but the intent behind those lunch box groups. It's all so competitive and fake. Granted I live in the country, we are uncultured out here but I've never seen a single bento. We use the insulated Smashboxes with ice bricks inside as it gets well over 40 degrees in my area.
    I know what you mean.

I use a bento box. But it is like a box of shame so I would never post it up.

LMS mentioned her DD gets overwhelmed to too many types of food. DS hates lots of one type. He will never eat a full sandwich etc.

So the bento box is good for me to give him bits of things he will eat and maybe something new.

Basically it is tuna, crackers, cheese (a mix of babybel, laughing cow triangle and/or grated cheese depending on what I have and what he has been recently eating), banana bread, muffins or pikelets (that is the only muffins/pikelets he would eat - I make it for him) and yoghurt.

He sometimes eats the yolk of a boiled egg. Sometimes will eat a little ham.

I don't think anyone else in his room has a bento box either. I actually do not know anyone else who does.

He is provided fruit for morning tea so I generally do not pack any unless he asks for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @twinklify your ds' sounds better than my dd.
    Vegemite on white bread sandwich, plain popcorn, yoghurt and a mini muffin. I also pack fruit for crunch n sip and another fruit or veg hoping she will eat some (never does).

The sandwich may be switched for a cheese and vegemite toasted wrap, cold pasta or a mini spinach and feta roll (this is our biggest win, but I can't do it too often, or she goes off them).
    Popcorn and muffin for banana bread, le snak or K-time bar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I use a bento-style box (Yumbox) for DS, but the contents are nothing to brag about or showcase online (DS has ASD/sensory issues)!

He has no protein in there at all. Plain Vita-Weet crackers (the round ones), halved grape tomatoes, cucumber slices and carrot sticks. His afternoon tea is more crackers and a few bits of Cadbury chocolate (which I only started packing on Friday - the preschool he attended last year did not allow chocolate).

My view with fussy children is that you send them to school with what you know they will eat. You can work on trying new stuff at home, as for many, it is a really slow process to introduce new foods.

In our house it's a victory if DS puts something he doesn't normally eat on his lips, or takes a tiny bite. Baby steps. I would really like to see DS taking a sandwich to school by the end of the year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @twinklify your ds' sounds better than my dd.
    Vegemite on white bread sandwich, plain popcorn, yoghurt and a mini muffin. I also pack fruit for crunch n sip and another fruit or veg hoping she will eat some (never does).

The sandwich may be switched for a cheese and vegemite toasted wrap, cold pasta or a mini spinach and feta roll (this is our biggest win, but I can't do it too often, or she goes off them).
    Popcorn and muffin for banana bread, le snak or K-time bar.
    He is sooooooooo much better than he used to be. Probably over the last 6 months he has expanded his food variety. He used to have yoghurt, tuna, cheese and crackers. That's it. He only started eating solids (crackers, yoghurt and tuna lol) after he turned 1.

I was was a fussy kid. I was a small kid. I was an anxious kid. I was a non sleeper. He is so much like me. I turned out mostly ok.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I looked at the Sistema boxes, but they were huge.
    I'll have a look at the others, thank you

ETA I just found a different Sistema one that looks good. Now to find where to buy it!
    Big W have a good Sistema range ☺

We bought be one you probably think is huge ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use a bento box (yum box) and it's the best thing ever, my DS has taken it to daycare for lunch for 2 years (we pack lunches) and he loves it. It kind of forces me to make sure I give him variety, and I certainly don't slave away making pinterest lunches. Aka today he had watermelon, hommus and crackers, brown vegiemite sandwich bites and Apple slices.

To the comment earlier on about chocolate slice, my daycare would Prob send it back too, and they aren't super strict. They don't like you to send chips, packets of stuff, anything chocolate etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    The phone one: it could have been said nicer, but I agree with the sentiment.

The food: all I ever think when I see stuff like this, is these people would be *horrified* if they saw the lunch boxes of the LSE schools I've worked in. Absolutely horrified! No fruit, no veg, chips, biscuits, pre-packaged cakes, white bread and spread sandwiches... and yet, we teachers are happy... because the kids actually *have* food.
    Last year on a very long school concert day, when the kids needed extra food, one boy came with a packet of Extra and a lemon. Not even a cut lemon, just a lemon.
    I saw a grade one boy get $15 out of his bag and head toward the canteen yesterday.

If a piece of cake is flipping people out, they need some perspective. For all they know it's made with chickpeas, quinoa and cacao or something.
    This is so true. We have my niece staying with us and she is morbidly obese (and i mean she's 25 kg over what she should be, at least) and her mum sends her absolute rubbish every single day. Juice, chocolate milk, twisties, poptarts, no water (or she just brings it home and hasn't touched it) and she gets a lunch order if nuggets and juice every single day. I wish the school would send a note home to her!