+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    Getting children involved, cooking, growing veges, learning that they eat what the family eats not a different
    I seriously wish it were that easy! Before having children I thought this is how it would be, we'd go to the farmers market together and cook together and she'd be so excited to sit down and eat with us. What a fantasy that was.

I've tried it all, we look through my cook books and she points out things that look nice, we go and buy the ingredients or plant our own herbs and pick them, she stands on her little IKEA stool and wears her apron and helps me all the while saying mmm this looks yummy and I am filled with so much hope, and the minute it's time to eat she will shut her mouth and refuse to even try it.

I used to beg, plead, shout, bribe, everything to just get her to try what she was so excited about not 30 minutes earlier but all for nought. Now I have DD2 and I don't have the time or energy for it. I cook food I think she ought to like, that any other child her age would generally like, I scour kid friendly recipe books and websites. And at the end of the day she usually won't try it anyway. I've made my peace with it in a way. I just do what I can to get by some days, but if someone were to send that note home to me on a bad day it would literally break me.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2017),Gentoo  (06-02-2017),gingermillie  (06-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-02-2017),Mod-Degrassi  (06-02-2017),smallpotatoes  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Discuss: ‘Get off your phone!’ Texas day care’s sign goes viral

@Hopeful37 it's not that you are being intentionally nasty or trying to upset others and I do understand where you are coming from.

But as a parent of a fussy eater I can assure you this attitude of "you need to do xyz and they will eat a range of foods" is so incredibly frustrating.

The hardest part of having a fussy eater is the guilt and feeling you've failed as a parent. You feel neglectful that they either starve or eat carbs only.

The second hardest part is having those negative feelings reinforced by others with that attitude and the judgement that comes with it.

These are not obese kids being fed crap all day. These are kids who can, and will, live off air, would choose to go to bed hungry, have little appetite and a very limited list of things they will eat. And there is nothing medically wrong, they just don't care for food period, let alone a wide range of healthy foods

A letter like that, loaded with judgement and no understanding, is so hurtful and would probably reduce me to tears.

I'm dreading school for my children.
    I would of starved at school if I had all this fancy stuff I see in the "show us your lunchbox" thread, (not to mention the expense and preparation required!!!) plus the amount of food in that box would of overwhelmed me as a child. A basic white sandwich and a pack of tiny teddies/roll up/chips/packaged muesli bar was my standard fare growing up, and now it's not good enough.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 06-02-2017 at 07:19.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2017),atomicmama  (06-02-2017),gingermillie  (06-02-2017),smallpotatoes  (06-02-2017),twinklify  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    @Hopeful37 it's not that you are being intentionally nasty or trying to upset others and I do understand where you are coming from.

But as a parent of a fussy eater I can assure you this attitude of "you need to do xyz and they will eat a range of foods" is so incredibly frustrating.

The hardest part of having a fussy eater is the guilt and feeling you've failed as a parent. You feel neglectful that they either starve or eat carbs only.

The second hardest part is having those negative feelings reinforced by others with that attitude and the judgement that comes with it.

These are not obese kids being fed crap all day. These are kids who can, and will, live off air, would choose to go to bed hungry, have little appetite and a very limited list of things they will eat. And there is nothing medically wrong, they just don't care for food period, let alone a wide range of healthy foods

A letter like that, loaded with judgement and no understanding, is so hurtful and would probably reduce me to tears.

I'm dreading school for my children.
    I would of starved at school if I had all this fancy stuff I see in the "show us your lunchbox" thread, (not to mention the expense and preparation required!!!) plus the amount of food in that box would of overwhelmed me as a child. A basic white sandwich and a pack of tiny teddies/roll up/chips/packaged muesli bar was my standard fare growing up, and now it's not good enough.
    I understand your frustration and concern. One of my kids ate nothing but fruit and weetbix for 18 months...weetbix for breakfast, fruit for morning tea and then nothing for the rest of the day. We did all the usual tricks of getting them involved in food prep etc, but it when it came to eating it...nope. We did this for 18 months before I sought professional help. It took another 6 months to overcome it. There isn't an easy out. My child drank milk after morning tea...and that was it. Professional advice told me to cut the milk and force my child in to starvation to motivate them to eat (among several other things). It worked, eventually.

As for the lunchboxes...please don't enter those threads. The vast majority of lunchboxes don't look like that.
    My kids are still fussy...nowhere near the extent they were...they now eat enough of a range of foods that they're having a wholesome diet, but enough.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2017),gingermillie  (06-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Discuss: ‘Get off your phone!’ Texas day care’s sign goes viral

And as for offering food over and over and over, night after night, in the hope it won't end up in the bin..... there is a breaking point for everyone where you just go "f..k it".

I do not have the patience of a saint. Nor the resources or time to keep prepping then throwing away food for 4 friggin years. I defy anyone to do this day after day with zero change to not lose motivation/patience.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 06-02-2017 at 07:43.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2017),Frankenmum  (06-02-2017),gingermillie  (06-02-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Can I just say on the whole 'show us your lunchbox' groups on fb etc..... I know I'm going to get people saying "I don't do that" if you don't it's not directed at you.... but it's become the perfect mother's p*ssing contest. Sandwiches cut in the shape of yoda, fruit in star shapes and homemade organic spelt flour eggless muffins. All presented in a $90 bento box in silicone yoda mould containers It's all this weird 'I'm a better mother' competition.

I've been doing the primary school gig for the 8th year this year. The average person doesn't send that lunch lol They send a sanger/wrap, a piece of fruit and bag of chips. Don't stress Sunshine.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2017),atomicmama  (06-02-2017),Full House  (06-02-2017),gingermillie  (06-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-02-2017),Mod-Nomsie  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Can I just say on the whole 'show us your lunchbox' groups on fb etc..... I know I'm going to get people saying "I don't do that" if you don't it's not directed at you.... but it's become the perfect mother's p*ssing contest. Sandwiches cut in the shape of yoda, fruit in star shapes and homemade organic spelt flour eggless muffins. All presented in a $90 bento box in silicone yoda mould containers It's all this weird 'I'm a better mother' competition.

I've been doing the primary school gig for the 8th year this year. The average person doesn't send that lunch lol They send a sanger/wrap, a piece of fruit and bag of chips. Don't stress Sunshine.
    OMG. Yes.

Thanks
    Reviews

After doing the school lunch thing for a few days, I'm already over washing a million containers and then arranging them in the lunch bag so they fit, so I had a look at the bento boxes and quickly closed the browser. They're so expensive 😮

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    After doing the school lunch thing for a few days, I'm already over washing a million containers and then arranging them in the lunch bag so they fit, so I had a look at the bento boxes and quickly closed the browser. They're so expensive 😮
    Sistema do a bento box style lunchbox now. From what I see they are $20ish.

Goodbyn also do different bento style boxes. I have Goodbyn containers for me and also for DD at childcare. The actual bento boxes are $25ish. Sometimes they are on sale. They are probably the cheapest good quality ones.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    This makes me so relieved! Sometimes I venture into those threads and I'm so impressed with all the parents making amazing lunches for their kids, then I start to stress out because I know DD wouldn't even try half those things.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Sistema do a bento box style lunchbox now. From what I see they are $20ish.

Goodbyn also do different bento style boxes. I have Goodbyn containers for me and also for DD at childcare. The actual bento boxes are $25ish. Sometimes they are on sale. They are probably the cheapest good quality ones.
    I looked at the Sistema boxes, but they were huge.
    I'll have a look at the others, thank you

ETA I just found a different Sistema one that looks good. Now to find where to buy it!
    Last edited by atomicmama; 06-02-2017 at 10:20.