ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    I think most kids ( excluding sensory issues) will eat what is given to them when the parents are there and they have no choice. Kids are given way to much choice when it comes to eating. Asking a 3 year what they want to eat is just asking for problems imo. You hear people say oh my kid " only eats biscuits only eats nuggets and so on". Of course they would if they are given the option to eat that.
    LOL!
    Have you actually had a really fussy eater? They usually end up eating those things because you end up offering anything just to get them to eat at all.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2017),BettyV  (05-02-2017),gingermillie  (05-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (05-02-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (05-02-2017),MissMuppet  (05-02-2017),Mod-Degrassi  (05-02-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (05-02-2017),twinklify  (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I no longer take dd1 out to restaurants or meals with the inlaws as they have this belief.
    People just don't get it.
    Don't they think I've already tried that?

Plus I starved myself all through childhood, often went to bed hungry as I didn't like much. Just meant I battled every dinner with my parents for like 16 years, until I was old enough to cook for myself.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2017),gingermillie  (05-02-2017),MissMuppet  (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my kids pre-school was so strict. I sent my child with a date roll (a date rolled in coconut) and it was sent home because it 'looked' like chocolate. I was livid. From then on everything I sent came with a list of ingredients. My child was gutted that they weren't allowed to eat fruit because of how it looked.
    And, then they go off to school and no one cares what they eat. It's a ridiculous, completely flawed policy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think there is a 'sensible' and 'balanced' healthy eating policy (which my DD's daycare has and I think is great - and there there are policies like this ^^ one. Common sense people, common sense!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think most kids ( excluding sensory issues) will eat what is given to them when the parents are there and they have no choice. Kids are given way to much choice when it comes to eating. Asking a 3 year what they want to eat is just asking for problems imo. You hear people say oh my kid " only eats biscuits only eats nuggets and so on". Of course they would if they are given the option to eat that.
    I like to think of my dd as an independent person in her own right. Just because she is a toddler doesn't mean she is prohibited from making choices and not liking things. And just because I'm an adult doesn't mean I have the right (or desire) to force her to do certain things - like eat food she doesn't like.
    As an adult who doesn't really eat meat or mushrooms I'd be pretty upset if my DH forced me to eat a steak with mushroom sauce KNOWING I don't like it at all. But as an adult lucky me I get *choices*.
    So I am allowed to not like certain foods but because dd is a kid she must eat whatever she's given? Sorry I don't see the logic in that and I wonder why we expect behaviour from children that we would never expect from ourselves? Why do we treat children in a way we would never tolerate ourselves?
    I mean this within reason not taking it to the most extreme. And I don't think that giving kids *some* say in what they eat is extreme.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2017),AdornedWithCats  (05-02-2017),BettyV  (05-02-2017),Bluebirdgirl  (05-02-2017),delirium  (05-02-2017),Gentoo  (05-02-2017),just her chameleon  (05-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (05-02-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (05-02-2017),MissMuppet  (05-02-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nephew would happily starve rather than eat something he wasn't interested in. He just has zero interest in food. When he doesn't eat his behaviour goes foul.

My sister and I lived together and our babies were 3 months apart. They were basically raised as twins. My daughter loves food. My nephew lives off air

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2017),gingermillie  (05-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is this where politically correctness has gone mad? In the school lunch box? People can't eat food cos others will be jealous.
    So glad I have the option to home educate and don't have to bust my brain about this.
    My kids are really fussy.
    They might be the ones with the mars bar etc. I don't think I'm LSE though, if that infers bogan parents who don't care??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I like to think of my dd as an independent person in her own right. Just because she is a toddler doesn't mean she is prohibited from making choices and not liking things. And just because I'm an adult doesn't mean I have the right (or desire) to force her to do certain things - like eat food she doesn't like.
    As an adult who doesn't really eat meat or mushrooms I'd be pretty upset if my DH forced me to eat a steak with mushroom sauce KNOWING I don't like it at all. But as an adult lucky me I get *choices*.
    So I am allowed to not like certain foods but because dd is a kid she must eat whatever she's given? Sorry I don't see the logic in that and I wonder why we expect behaviour from children that we would never expect from ourselves? Why do we treat children in a way we would never tolerate ourselves?
    I mean this within reason not taking it to the most extreme. And I don't think that giving kids *some* say in what they eat is extreme.
    I don't see the logic in this. As a parent I think it's our job to open up our kids horizons to different tastes etc. at that age how are they going to know what to choose? Pretty limited by their experiences I'd think.

Of course if a child absolutely hates mushrooms I wouldn't be serving them up. But for children to hate and not eat ALL vegetables I think is a problem. Of course they would prefer biscuits but is that really in their best interests?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see the logic in this. As a parent I think it's our job to open up our kids horizons to different tastes etc. at that age how are they going to know what to choose? Pretty limited by their experiences I'd think.

Of course if a child absolutely hates mushrooms I wouldn't be serving them up. But for children to hate and not eat ALL vegetables I think is a problem. Of course they would prefer biscuits but is that really in their best interests?
    I think it may be hard for you to understand as you do not seem to have a fussy eater.

It is not that simple.

My DS never had any interest in food. Ever. I tried feeding him solids as a baby in various ways over various times and he just did not eat.

He is better now but only eats a small range of food. He *sometimes* will lick a food or try a food that is different but not very often.

If I did not feed he what he does eat he would starve himself. I am not exaggerating or joking.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2017),gingermillie  (05-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (05-02-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (05-02-2017),Tiny Dancer  (05-02-2017)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Is this where politically correctness has gone mad? In the school lunch box? People can't eat food cos others will be jealous.
    So glad I have the option to home educate and don't have to bust my brain about this.
    My kids are really fussy.
    They might be the ones with the mars bar etc. I don't think I'm LSE though, if that infers bogan parents who don't care??
    No. LSE means low socio economic- people who usually were born into the cycle of poverty and raise their own children in that cycle, and the cycle of not knowing or doing better continues for generations.

If you are homeschooling, I highly doubt you are LSE.