+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    PS sorry for all of my typos in my last few posts, I've got pins and needles in my fingers ATM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    Not the only kid in our household so yes I've had experience with older kids.

I just don't think it's a matter of full tummy no worries. Young kids can't process the amount of fat/salt/ sugar in chips and junk etc day in day out
    How old are the other kids? Are you their primary caregiver or are they only with you a few days a week?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Discuss: ‘Get off your phone!’ Texas day care’s sign goes viral

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    They can be one in the same. If a child is eating and feeding well and is failure to thrive then yes definitely see a paediatrician, but sometimes they are failure to thrive because they will not eat. They actually aren't completely different?

DS was FTT because he would not take a bottle inly breastmilk which wasn't enough. Saw a paed, tried to get food into him and no luck! He barely ate a thing. And I offered all matter of healthy foods. Paed would usually recommend adding lots of butter and cream and cheese to food to give them extra calories, but we couldn't with DS as he was cows milk protein intolerant.

So now he is almost 2.5 and weight less than his 12 and 15 month old cousins.

DD has multiple food allergies and now has a fear of trying new foods after years of 'no you can't eat that it will make you sick' she eats far too many sweet foods and not enough veggies or protein but we try daily to get her not to fear new foods, it's a daily battle.

You said "They actually say not to fill your child up with empty calories like that so they can actually be hungry enough to eat a proper meal"

You're simply spouting the general information out there about eating as applies to non-fussy children. You're commenting purely from that perspective, did you ever consider the two situations I just mentioned?

I really do hate people going back over other Hubbers history, but seeing as I've asked twice and another poster has also asked, without reply about your experiences so far and I can see that your child is between 5 and 7ish months now? So still on mainly breast milk or formula? If that's the case, maybe bite your tongue for now as you never know what kind of water you may be faced with. It is down right awful having a child (or more - in my case 2) who don't eat. I'm in tears most days.

Don't tar all children with the same brush based on 'guidelines' or things you may read, they're all different and sometimes, life isn't so black and white.

I do really hope your child ends up being a good eater, I wouldn't wish the stress and anxiety of a fussy eater on anyone!
    I'm not tarring all children with the same brush. I've said in my past posts I'm just talking about general fussy eaters and asked the question if people think it's a learned thing ( if don't eat the healthy option and get their choice of food)
    I said excludes sensory issues, FFT, and I should have put food allergies- of course you have to do the best you can with what you can offer and you have to follow the advice of what you are given by your Dr.

I really didn't mean to upset anyone. I was talking in general terms of kids turning their nose up at things and getting what they want. Not anything like what you have described. I'm sorry you go through such a hard time and are in tears most days that must be a nightmare.

I'm bowing out now of this thread as I'm obviously upsetting people with my views and I don't want to do that

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Getting children involved, cooking, growing veges, learning that they eat what the family eats not a different
    😂😂😂

6. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    These are my thoughts as well. Personally, I am more like full house and hopeful when dealing with my children but that's because overall I know ds1 isn't really fussy and that there are ways to get him to try new things or finish his dinner that he 'doesn't like.' But this is because of circumstances and dynamics that are unique to us and I get that there are so many different factors at play. Yes there are people who feed their kids crap because they can't be bothered or just don't know any better, but there are so many other reasons that usually play into that. It was also so much easier dealing with mealtimes before I had ds2 to worry about as well. Ds1 has a few months of getting away with murder in that regard and now we are coming out of the fog and reigning him back in.
    This is a good point. Hopeful, there's a big difference between the situation we have all been talking about and parents who feed their kids copious amounts of take away and fizzy drinks and cakes and lollies and chocolate as a staple diet whether that be because their lazy or not educated in healthy eating.

Because the former type of child and parent for whom I'm sticking up for, will typically (but not always) be on the smaller side and the latter typically (but not always) will be on the overweight side.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (06-02-2017),Hopeful37  (05-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I swear I've tried offering certain foods over 100 times and my kids don't try them. They wont even have them on a plate near them!
    Oh man, this!
    I'd heard people say that their kids wouldn't have things near them etc., clearly I knew it was a thing, but not once ever has DD refused to have food near her. DS though... He's by no means the most fussy kid around, but if he doesn't want something, he DOESN'T want it. He'll start by calmly trying to put it on the table, or get you to take it...but if you try putting it back he'll get so upset that he won't touch anymore food. He really doesn't want it anywhere that's "his" space. Doesn't matter if it's a good he's eaten 50 times, or one he loved yesterday. If he doesn't want it, that's it.

I'd been a parent for 3.5 years before I got any glimpse into what parents of fussy children must go through. It's easy to stand back and judge from the outside, but it's in no way helpful to those struggling with their kids' eating.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (05-02-2017),gingermillie  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I'm not tarring all children with the same brush. I've said in my past posts I'm just talking about general fussy eaters and asked the question if people think it's a learned thing ( if don't eat the healthy option and get their choice of food)
    I said excludes sensory issues, FFT, and I should have put food allergies- of course you have to do the best you can with what you can offer and you have to follow the advice of what you are given by your Dr.

I really didn't mean to upset anyone. I was talking in general terms of kids turning their nose up at things and getting what they want. Not anything like what you have described. I'm sorry you go through such a hard time and are in tears most days that must be a nightmare.

I'm bowing out now of this thread as I'm obviously upsetting people with my views and I don't want to do that
    No need to bow out; I appreciate your kind words in this post. I'm just trying to get you to see that no, fussy eaters aren't all fussy because of it being a learned thing, but yes, some kids can be 'fussy' because their parents give in to a child who is simply testing the boundaries, which can lead to poor diet, but as I've said many are just fussy and it's purely a personality thing or there are other factors.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (06-02-2017),Hopeful37  (05-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

I am replying as a parent who never had a child who was FTT, no food allergies or sensory issues. Just a kid that does not like food.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Hopeful37; of course it's not ideal, but it genuinely is better than nothing.

I do understand where you're coming from, and the approach you're talking abound exactly how I've approached food with my kids, but it's not that black and white. There are genuine reasons why people choose to give heir children the foods they do, and following an approach of "nothing else until the next meal" won't always help.

Like many topics, I think that this is one where you either ought to listen with empathy and genuinely try to understand (rather than judge), or have been in the position of trying to feed a seriously fussy child to really understand.
    Completely agree with you. This is a topic I thought I knew a lot more about. Definitely realise there is a lot more to this topic than I originally thought and there is a gamut on the "fussy eater" scale.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2017),HollyGolightly81  (05-02-2017),Renn  (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a good point. Hopeful, there's a big difference between the situation we have all been talking about and parents who feed their kids copious amounts of take away and fizzy drinks and cakes and lollies and chocolate as a staple diet whether that be because their lazy or not educated in healthy eating.

Because the former type of child and parent for whom I'm sticking up for, will typically (but not always) be on the smaller side and the latter typically (but not always) will be on the overweight side.
    Yes I 100% agree it's completely different. And I've been talking about the latter when I meant general terms

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-02-2017)