ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfeeding and Childcare

Hi all,
    My 10mo ds recently started Childcare 3 days a week. I normally breastfeed him at 7am, 11am, 4pm and 7pm. He also has one feed overnight.

He has been refusing a bottle of ebm at Childcare but has been eating solids there. I've been pumping during my lunch break which leaves me little time to eat, let alone do anything else.

Do you think if I stop pumping at work and give him all feeds minus the 11am one on those three days that it will affect my supply? I'm finding it pointless to pump if it ends up being thrown out anyway.

It's stressing me out. Definitely don't want to wean yet but sick of taking my pump to work and hiding in my classroom for no reason!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pump at home. That way your supply won't go down and bub is still getting breast milk through at the 11am feed. I am always pumping. It either gets used or frozen. 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in exactly the same situation. DD flat out refused bottles by 10 months, so on talking to her educators we agreed that she ate enough solids and drank enough water (from a sippy cup) that it was no big deal she didn't have any bottles at daycare.
    Pretty sure she was feeding about the same amount as your Bub too. I stopped pumping at work and just fed her morning and night on work days. I still fed her the usual number of feeds when at home. No problems with supply. By 12 months she had dropped the day feeds anyway and just fed morning and night anyway.
    Don't feel guilty, you can absolutely keep going if you want to.
    Otherwise could you try giving Bub expressed BM in a sippy cup for daycare?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

BB77  (03-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I worked 3 days a week too. DS started at that age and refused milk.

I still pumped twice a day. I used milk in cereal for breakfast or any other solids. I also tried to get them to use other methods like using a cup.

My supply was fine. I still BF on demand on home days. And my bosy just got used to it.

I did decrease to 1 pump a day sometime after 12 months and eventually stopped pumping at maybe 18 months or so. I still had no supply issues and did not wean until he was 2.5yo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryMumkin View Post
    Pump at home. That way your supply won't go down and bub is still getting breast milk through at the 11am feed. I am always pumping. It either gets used or frozen.
    I thought I had to pump at 11am, no?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear @twinklify. I know he doesn't necessarily need it at daycare but aiming for a couple of years too 🏻

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BB77 View Post
    Good to hear @twinklify. I know he doesn't necessarily need it at daycare but aiming for a couple of years too 🏻
    Well we weaned at just over 2.5yo so it is possible! How are you coping being back at work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Well we weaned at just over 2.5yo so it is possible! How are you coping being back at work?
    I'm in two minds. I love my job and enjoy having time to myself but I miss him so much and feel guilty leaving him. Especially since he got sick after the very first day. When does the constant sickness stop?!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BB77 View Post
    I'm in two minds. I love my job and enjoy having time to myself but I miss him so much and feel guilty leaving him. Especially since he got sick after the very first day. When does the constant sickness stop?!?
    Usually a few months. Depends on the time of year though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I started back, my son refused all bottles (he was 9mo) and I never bothered pumping. I fed him until 2 yo. I just kept feeding on demand on the other five days and my two work days, he would attack me as soon as I walked in the door lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

BB77  (03-02-2017)