+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about Hobart!

Hi all, hoping somebody sees this post as no one has posted here for a while! Hubby and I are wanting to move to Hobart in the next year or so, and we have just started doing our research as to where we want to settle etc. Hubby will work in Hobart city, and I will be at home with the bubba's. I'd love to know what suburbs people recommend, anything you can tell me about the region really, is there alot of community activities, do you like life down there, what is the good and bad about life in Hobart area? Also what would be the most affordable suburbs that are still nice to rent at first. Kingston is a bit pricey

What I do know is that Hobart has the 3rd worst peak hour traffic in the country, don't move to rokeby, and most suburbs it depends on the streets you are in as to how nice it is. And the weather is very British. Lol. Looking forward to anything you can add!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Eastern shore can be more affordable than the Kingston area - Howrah, Oakdowns etc, and Lauderdale, but you've got a further travel time. It is quite family friendly though and a similar distance to the shops at both Rosny and Cambridge. I'd steer clear of Glenorchy / Moonah, but Lenah Valley is ok, lots of new developments there.

It gets really cold in winter - like, really cold.

There is heaps & heaps to do, the city centre and waterfront are fantastic, Salamanca Market etc. I'm not sure where you're situated now but the travel time compared to other capital cities is much less!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in western Sydney frankie46, and hubby has to travel into the city for work everyday which is about an hour and half each way. It's just too much! Does it snow? I love the snow. Thanks for your reply!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tris987 View Post
    I'm in western Sydney frankie46, and hubby has to travel into the city for work everyday which is about an hour and half each way. It's just too much! Does it snow? I love the snow. Thanks for your reply!
    Golly gosh! Hobart traffic will seem like an absolute breeze in comparison. I would definitely consider the eastern shore all the way down to Lauderdale.

And yes, it snows! Not often, but it's not far to drive to experience real, full on, snowball snow

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't actually lived in Hobart, but we are borderline obsessed with Tasmania. 😆
    I would suggest checking out West Hobart. The suburbs don't do much for me tbh. South Hobart is lovely too. Sandy Point and Battery Point are amazing but expensive (although probably not compared to Sydney!)
    I love love love Hobart. The best city in Australia by far.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lauderdale rocks! I lived there as a child.

I'm not sure what you've heard about Rokeby but it's certainly better than it used to be. I have friends that still live their and the percentage of housing commission properties has decreased.

On the weekend you can drive from Lauderdale to the CBD in 25 minutes. Not sure about peak hour but buses run every 15-20 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Midway Point is also nice, my brother currently lives there and the local school at Sorell has a good reputation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the posts! We love some of the houses and property we have seen around huonville and cygnet, so long term I think we would like a bit of acreage and a hobby farm! While we save up we will rent in the suburbs. I'm so glad to hear rokeby is OK, all the info I found is from forums back in 2014! It's really affordable and close to Hobart so I'll include it in my search. That's awesome that snow is so close by too! Lol I'm getting excited already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tris987 View Post
    Thanks for all the posts! We love some of the houses and property we have seen around huonville and cygnet, so long term I think we would like a bit of acreage and a hobby farm! While we save up we will rent in the suburbs. I'm so glad to hear rokeby is OK, all the info I found is from forums back in 2014! It's really affordable and close to Hobart so I'll include it in my search. That's awesome that snow is so close by too! Lol I'm getting excited already.
    My parents live near cygnet. It's amazing, such a lovely area. The commute to Hobart is about 50 minutes. Honestly traffic isn't really a thing, maybe it's bad for population size but honestly it's a non issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    are there any particular areas that have young families? I've just had my first and I'm a bit nervous about being lonely and isolated when we move. Thoughts?