+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stafford Heights SS?

Looking for some advice from anyone that attends or knows much about Stafford Heights SS. My son is in prep in 2018 and we live two streets away. Some reports I get on the school though are less than stellar and the picture painted on MySchool isn't great (not that that is the be all and end all). Apart from that I'm also concerned that being such a small school there may be some extra curricular activity opportunities that might be missed. McDowall and Craigslea have far better reps and are also both quite close but we may have issues being out of catchment. Can anyone give an informed opinion on Stafford Heights or any vibes on whether we should fight to get McDowall?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by musicbiz View Post
    Looking for some advice from anyone that attends or knows much about Stafford Heights SS. My son is in prep in 2018 and we live two streets away. Some reports I get on the school though are less than stellar and the picture painted on MySchool isn't great (not that that is the be all and end all). Apart from that I'm also concerned that being such a small school there may be some extra curricular activity opportunities that might be missed. McDowall and Craigslea have far better reps and are also both quite close but we may have issues being out of catchment. Can anyone give an informed opinion on Stafford Heights or any vibes on whether we should fight to get McDowall?
    I never went to Stafford state as a student at that school, however it is home to a deaf unit, a couple of times a term EQ used to get all the deaf kids in SEQ together in one place, that was usually Stafford.

My memories of it are really good, I remember it being very friendly, at the time all students in the school learnt Auslan, though I am not sure if they still do that.
    But that fact as a deaf person made me feel really at home there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Duh. Stafford HEIGHTS..
    Sorry, disregard my post.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Jo

Hi. My son currently attends SHSS and he loves it. My husband and I both come from country towns. We love the size of the school. This has allows more support from teachers with smaller class sizes. The proximity of the school is also fantastic and quiet streets means my son can ride his bike to school. I have a younger son who will start prep 2019, he attends "Staffie's Playgroup" held fortnightly on Thursday mornings. He attends daycare 3 days a week, but loves being part of the school through playgroup (Better than daycare) They meet this coming Thursday 2nd March 9.30am. Check it out for yourself...
    My older son started to struggle with grades in 2015 but all are on the up and he is doing really well across the board now. I can't recommend Stafford Heights State School enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in the area but chose not to send our DD there based off reports of issues retaining a principal and also their academic results, while not the most important for us, have been pretty dismal. I do however have a colleague who sends his son there & I wish we gave some more serious thought to it. He did say it wasn't great in the past but it's getting better since the most recent principal started. He said they are making lots of changes and that a lot of the bad reputation it has is outdated! Academic results can change so quickly as we have learned too, the school our DD goes to was in the top 10 QLD state schools in 2015, but is now ranked in the 20s for 2016, so it's too unreliable IMO to base an opinion on that alone.

We looked at MacDowall but got put off by the large size, I heard they had heaps of prep classes and our DD just wouldn't cope with a school of 900+ kids.

A high school acquaintance of mine has a daughter in Craigslea and thinks it's great! Smaller than McDowall, the Academic results are good & it's against traffic for you if you live in SH - we live in SH & travel inbound and it can be a pain, but we chose our school because of the size (240 children) and feeling of the school .

Definitely have a look at SHSS, we didn't and while we are happy with our choice, having a school in the community you live in is pretty special I think :-)