+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 15 month old breastfeeding help

I'm at a loss with what to do. It's like dd2 has forgotten how to latch/suck. I wanted to feed dd2 to 2 years like dd1.
    Over the past month or two she has been mashing my boobs with her teeth a bit but she has been teething and I thought it would pass.
    Then last night when I went to feed her before bed she just bit me. Hard. I had to prise her off me. I tried again 5 minutes later, again she just bit me. So I got dh to put her to bed.
    Now today she is asking for it but she hesitates when I go to put her on. And is biting, then sucks funny for a short time before getting it right. She's definitely still getting milk but it's uncomfortable and the hesitating and the initial nip is making me nervous.
    We've lost our rhythm and I'm not sure if I should try and ride it out or wean her. She does drink cows milk from a cup so it's more a comfort/bonding thing at this age. I don't even think she's actively teething as her behaviour and eating is normal.

She really really hurt me last night too.

ETA: she just cut her 6th tooth a week ago (she's a late teether) so I still have plenty more to go through if it is due to teething. Dd1 bit on the odd occasion when teething but not consistently like this.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 01-02-2017 at 16:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went through this with my now 2yrs 5mth old daughter. We are still breastfeeding up to 3 times a day.
    She actually made me bleed a little once she split my nipple slightly. I was freaking out!
    I think when the new teeth come it changes the shape of their mouth or something?
    It did pass after a while. I didn't get badly injured. I had her mostly using straw cups so she was sucking, its good for their mouths I had read. Can she use a straw?
    Just keep taking her off when she bites and trying again.
    If she didn't want to nurse I think she would just refuse the breast. That's what happened when my son weaned. He was a boob addict then one day he just flat refused it and that was it. He was about your baby's age.
    I think it's just one of those teething and new discovery things. If you want to keep going I hope she will stop. Maybe you can think of ways to distract her like a toy to hold or a nursing necklace so she doesn't feel like you are a chew toy.
    Oh btw she probably hesitated cos she got a fright if you were hurt or upset. I freaked my girl out the first time and she cried and she was kinda hesitant to latch the next feed so I had to really relax and trust she wouldn't bite so she didn't stress.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (01-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I fed her tonight before bed but again it didn't feel right, like she was just munching a bit, not sure how much milk she's getting like that.

She mainly uses straw cups.

Yes I think she's hesitating as I did scream last night with the first bite, I know you're not meant to but it so unexpected and damn painful! I think she's trying not to hurt me and overthinking it now.

I will stick it out a bit longer. She definitely still wants it and I do want to keep going, but if she can't figure out how to suck and not bite/mash I may have to give it up

As I said dd1 went through phases but this has been ongoing for awhile now
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 01-02-2017 at 18:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure what to suggest but I'm feeling your pain. DS2 cut 2 teeth in 2 days last week he is nearly months and he loves to bite down on my and clamp really hard then smile. I was almost in tears. Mind you he only does it on my left side. I tell him naughty boy every time he does it. Day feeds only

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (02-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has your milk dropped off at all OP?
    My daughter has never really had a good latch but because it wasn't hurting me I gave up bothering trying to make it right.
    Now that I have a lot less milk than I used to it does feel like she's chomping at times. It's not hurting me though.
    I would actually like to wean her soon but she's so attached to nursing to sleep I know she is not ready at all. So I have to keep at least two feeds a day otherwise I know I will lose my milk altogether.

Don't worry I yelled and scared the business out of my daughter that first time she bit down. She was nervous about latching for about 3 days and then just when I thought we were good she bit again and startled me.

I hope you can work through it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went through this very recently with my almost 17mth old DS2. It was very painful to feed and i also felt his latch was different.
    I ended up cutting down the feeds to not as many and riding out. Things are better now thank goodness. I was seriously considering weaning and was asking other mums about weaning etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every time your DD gets a new tooth, she needs to completely learn to latch again as the tooth changes the shape of the mouth.

Can you use a shield for a few days? As bluebirdgirl says it could be supply related too - porridge fur breakfast should help up your supply if that's the issue.

Good luck!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (02-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (02-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Just an update- back to breastfeeding with no nipping or hesitation
    I saw inside dd2's mouth today (a rare event- she won't let me look lol) and was surprised to see she's just cut her upper right molar. She usually prefers my right boob- nearly all feeds are on that side, but at the moment lefty is working better for us.
    Man that girl is cutting her teeth in a weird order. 4 bottom teeth, two top and now a top molar lol.
    Munching a bit on righty but not painful.

Supply has definitely dropped a bit since returning to work, I get a little full after my shift so know I'm still producing, but not as much as I used to. Need to eat and drink better myself!

Thank you ladies xxx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 03-02-2017 at 20:22.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (03-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was wondering how you were doing.
    At least you know what was happening now. My daughter was the same, I could never tell when she was getting a tooth because if I tried to look she would bite. She actually drew blood on my finger the first time I tried lol
    Glad things are going ok
    Eat porridge if you can, it really does help with supply.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (03-02-2017)