ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default swimming issue with DD and school

My DD7 squad swims to a reasonable level, they'll do up to 2km and 400m straight at a time. Every year the school does 2 weeks swimming with the Department of Education and the kids get graded. My daughter was graded at level 5 where the requirements are things like swimming 10m breaststroke. She was doing that 4 years ago. She should be level 9, the highest level, the reason being for her low grading is because she has never been taught survival backstroke. I was a junior state swimmer and I probably can't swim survival backstroke.. anyway not a big deal, I didn't want to be one of those parents that kicked up a fuss, so we just let it go, complete waste of time for my daughter, but no biggie. However now her school swim carnival is on and the school has asked for the swim certificates, I'm assuming so they can be graded... I've emailed the school, so will see how that pans out, has anyone gone through a similar thing?

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I know of a few at our school that have the same kind of thing.

The private swimming lessons teach slightly different things so there are often 1 or two minor things that they havent done yet from a level, and they get held down in that level. Some have tried to have them regraded and not been that successful at it.

Its very hard - but to be totally honest, IMO school swimming lessons are just about teaching the kids basic swimming, survival and stroke techniques. With the number of kids in each class, they arent going to get way ahead or learn much more than the basics.

Have a chat to the sports teacher about your daughters swimming levels and I am sure they will grade her appropriately for the swimming carnival.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default swimming issue with DD and school

Wouldn't they be racing with their own age at the carnival?

In nsw public schools, the children race in their age group. They swim a 50m race if they are able. Parents just have to sign the note and tick the correct box for their child. Eg. Non-swimmer, can swim 10m, can swim unaided etc. I'm not sure of the exact wording.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Obviously this was a long time ago but when I was at school on paper I was a low level (3). But I had a pool at home and was a great swimmer. After two days of lessons which was basically playing in the pool they reassessed and I got moved to 6 or 7.

Hopefully they move your daughter up after seeing her swim

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cool thanks for the replies, I've spoken to the school and they are having trials so that should be a good way of grading all the kids abilities.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DrewS For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (09-02-2017)