+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Good bmilk supply but trouble pumping

I'm currently breastfeeding my 5 week old DS. I seem to have a good supply- he's putting on weight, seems content and has enough dirty nappies. However when I pump (using an electric single medela swing) I only get 30-40ml after a solid hour of pumping. (Both breasts alternated throughout)

I used the pump with DD 3 years ago and got similar results- but was also having other issues as she was 7 weeks premie. So I was expecting to be able to pump more than 30mls this time as my supply seems much better.

The medela has two speeds and I'll often get a better output during the initial fast speed, especially if looking at photos of DS- but as soon as the slow speed takes over barely anything comes out. I've tried breast compressions and massage and am on lactation cookies.

I'm not too worried about supply overall but it would be really handy be able to express more than 30ml after an hour. (I'd be okay with 30ml if it took less time though!)

Has anyone else had a similar experience or have any suggestions? I'm not really interested in details of other brands of pump- can't justify any further expenditure. I've also used the medela symphony hospital pump with similar result so I think it's more with my body or technique rather than pump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was similar to you. I had a really good milk supply but very little when I pumped. I think for some of us our bodies just aren't easily fooled by the pump! I don't have a great solution I'm afraid as I ended up only pumping when absolutely necessary. I did figure out a couple of little things that helped. I got much more from the pump if I pumped and fed simultaneously. So baby one side and pump the other. It's quite a feat to hold everything in place but it more than doubled what I pumped. My second, less effective but easier option, was to cover the pump so I couldn't see how much I was getting and to watch my baby play or sleep instead. It might be worth a try.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

softshellcrab  (02-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im the same, good feeder bad pumper.
    I agree with your views on pump. I have a double electric medela and tried a.top rated spectra to see if it'd make a difference but it didnt.
    I'd say just keep trying to pump and save those small bits up to make up feeds to freeze if you need to be away from bub.
    My solution was to not pump and just feed and when returning to work managed to get a few feeds ahead and then id leave what i pumped at work. He was eating by then though so would eat lots and drink water and have ebm before naps at childcare and at home with DH ( only work part time)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    @BettyV thanks for the suggestions- I've actually never breastfed and pumped simultaneously so will try that tonight! I've covered the bottle before without much luck- but it's always worth another shot.
    @PinkPopsicle I've read so many good reviews of the spectra but just have this instinct that it wouldn't make a difference for me I ether. Thankfully I don't have to go back to work for awhile - just pumping to try and build a stockpile for a rainy day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was the same, I was obviously making enough milk as my daughter was putting on weight etc but I could only ever pump 30-40mls and it would take an hour.

I found different times of the day I would get slightly more, I think early morning was best. But with my DD feeding every 3 hours all day and night. I couldn't keep doing it. It was too stressful and time consuming. It meant I couldn't take a break and DP didn't get many opportunities to feed her either, but it was a relief to stop trying to pump.

My DD was 5 weeks prem so I needed to pump initially to help bring my milk on, I've always wondered if this was part of it. I tried lactation cookies, fenugreek and ended up taking a course of motilium. That got my milk in but I never successfully pumped.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusalka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same here. Always had great supply but couldn't pump.

The only thing that helped me - and I still had to do a lot of work was use a manual pump - I think the noise of the electric pumps was messing with me. I went from getting 10-20ml to 80ml. Yep still pitiful but obviously a massive improvement.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well @BettyV your suggestion was a good one- I've pumped twice now whilst simultaneously feeding DS and had much improved results! I didn't get a whole lot more- but got about 40ml in 10 mins instead of 1 hour. So I'm definitely happy with that.
    @binnielici I reckon I'm the same with the noise of the electric pump.. it's so off putting and has such associations of anxiety for me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to softshellcrab For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (03-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Have you looked at the flange size? Having the incorrect size can affect how effective it is. They are usually all sold with 24mm. I needed a 19mm flange.

Have you tried power pumping?

I get the best results by pumping while I'm feeding at the same time.