+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to the sunshine coast

Hi i was hoping to find some feedback about schools both primary and high school (state and private) on the Sunshine Coast. We really like Caloundra and its surrounds. I have read good things from old forums about Meridan Plains, Currimundi, Tallara and Unity college. but was hoping someone could give me some up to date information on those schools or others they would recommend in that area. i am aware that these schools are zoned but we will choose to live where we want our kids to go to school. I am also interested on peoples opinions about mountain creek high, chanellor college and any high school and primary schools in those areas again both public and state.
    Thankyou in advance, i look forward to any feedback i can get.
    Last edited by Josey0902; 01-06-2017 at 08:47.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi josey, I don't have any expierence with any of the schools in that area, but I am a sunshine coaster, and I want to welcome you here. Mountain creek high school is huge, really one of the biggest high schools about, but it does have a good reputation. I believe Tallara is also a good school, many people move into the area to be in that schools catchment area. I hope someone who has actually dealt with the schools will share more information for you. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ive heard good things about meridian school. Mountain creek has a very good reputation, in fact people move to that area just to be zoned to send their kids there. Having went to school at a top private school on the coast and my sisters going to mountain creek high i will be sending my kids to mountain creek high. Although a lot bigger, the opportunities available to the kids are awesome.
    Also heard good things about brightwater primary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm on the coast but the northern side so not much help. You could try joining a local kids BSS Facebook page and asking on there. Might get more luck I can PM you the name of the popular local kids BSS page if you like.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to the sunshine coast

Thank you that would be great
    I'm new to this site can you pm me through here. I'm not sure how it works lol
    Last edited by Josey0902; 31-01-2017 at 12:04.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Currimundi State School

Hi Josey, I have recently relocated to the Sunshine Coast from Western Australia. After some research, I enrolled my kids at Currimundi State School. I have a daughter in year 6 and son in year 3. I couldn't be happier with this caring, nurturing and supportive school. My children are very quiet but they have settled in really well. I joined the P&C which is a good opportunity to meet other parents and see first hand what direction the school is taking. I am very happy with my choice.

For high school, and this was the reason for our move this year, I have chosen Pacific Lutheran and had a tour of this lovely school today. I am excited for the opportunities it will give my daughter.

All in all, it has been a great move for us and I hope you also settle in and enjoy all the wonderful things the Coast has to offer.

Cheers,
    Prue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info Prue! We are leaning towards meridan plains and or Tallara. Have you had any feedback about these schools? Also what area did you decide to settle in? I realise the schools are zoned up there.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Primary

Hey Josey,
    I've heard mixed reports on Meridan in relation to bullying. In fact, friends of mine took both their girls out Term 4 because it was so bad and moved them to Unity which they are thrilled with. Tamara was on my list too but you will need to apply as out of area if you don't fall into the catchment. I, however, feel like I won the lottery with Currimundi! The teachers and principal are amazing and they ensure that new kids are buddied with kids in the class immediately to create friendship bonds. This has been great for my kids as they are really quiet. My kids are also very academic and the school has been great on this front too. It's all about being a 'curra' kid and using the Currimundi courtesy which helps all kids be respectful which is important to my husband and I. The school has just under 600 kids and about 3 classes per year level. As I moved to Shelly Beach (amazing) we applied as an out of area enrolment. I hear for high school unity and Kawana are very good. I completed the PLC tour with my daughter and believe that school will offer the best education and future job pathways for us. It is expensive though but worth it in my opinion. Where are you moving Josey? I have enrolled my son in soccer which is great for us to meet people. We are going to do little athletics for my daughter come September and also have a crack at nippers, watch out Sunny Coast!!! Good luck with your decisions 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey Prue
    i had read good things about Currimundi but nothing recent so its good to hear i have more options. i would prefer a smaller school for my younger son. out of curiosity what year was the bullying taken place at Meridan College? My sister inlaw is a teacher in brisbane and has friends that have children that go to meridan and said they are really happy with it. my children currently go to private schooling but we were hoping that by making this move we will have better schooling options on the sunshine coast. the public high schools here are not very good which is why they are currently going private. we are a little concerned about job prospects on the sunshine coast as we have read that its hard to find work so we didn't want to start our kids in a private school then not be able to afford it later. so ideally we are trying to find the best public schooling for them that we can. I have looked into unity college and that will probably be our choice if we do decide to go private. we were going to buy a house in the catchment of the school we want our kids to go to so for meridan/tallara we were thinking of little mountain, aroona or meridan plains or caloundra west. what are your opinions on these areas? thanks for all the feedback so far

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Schools

Morning Josey,
    Well, I'm originally from Sydney but lived in WA, remote for 5 years (with good primary but awful high school options) which is why I'm here 😊 I bought a house off the internet sight unseen somewhere we've never been LOL! So far, it's fantastic. I read all the newsletters of the schools I was interested in and then made an appointment to have a school walk around when I was in Brisbane for work. That's why I picked Currimundi. My friends' kids, who went to Meridan, are 10 and 8 and mine are almost 11 and 8. I guess everyone has different opinions on schools. There is a really lovely small catholic primary school in Shelly Beach, OLR which I hear wonderful things about. I am not catholic so that was out for us. I should PM you but I don't know how haha. As I've been on the coast for all of 3 months, I don't really know that much on area, however I joined soccer and a couple of the kids go to the Caloundra Christian College and love it.
    Work- it is pretty slow for work. What kind of work does hubby do? There are a lot of new housing estates popping up, 3-4 year roadwork upgrade about to commence and the new massive waterpark being built, all starting this year. Lots of exciting things for the Coast.
    All in all Josey, the Sunshine Coast is a great place to live and I'm enjoying discovering new places. Good luck with the school hunt 😁