ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 36 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    My mum and I have just finished doing this with dd's most special baby clothes. This is the finished product.

Attachment 89971
    It is absolutely gorgeous, BettyV! Your mum totally should turn it into a hobby. It's amazing and there has got to be a market for it!

A couple of questions for you:
    Do you have different fabric types in it?
    How many items of clothing did you need? I can see you have 4 squares of many of them... some of DS's I'm not sure we'd get 4 squares out of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    It is absolutely gorgeous, BettyV! Your mum totally should turn it into a hobby. It's amazing and there has got to be a market for it!

A couple of questions for you:
    Do you have different fabric types in it?
    How many items of clothing did you need? I can see you have 4 squares of many of them... some of DS's I'm not sure we'd get 4 squares out of them.
    Thanks @Tiny Dancer. There's about 13 outfits in there and that does include different fabrics (cotton, velour, blends, stretch).

I bulked the quilt out with normal quilting fabric too. Once I had the outfits I wanted I just took them to a fabric/quilting shop and chose fabrics that complemented them and then worked those into the design. I was worried if it was all baby outfits it would look a bit too baby-ish and I wanted it to be a quilt dd could grow up with.

Four squares was the max I got out of any outfit, but it was doable for over half of them. A few outfits only made two squares though.

Re the different fabrics, mum's trying to enforce a cotton only policy in belly bub's wardrobe in attempt to make sewing their quilt easier in the future. I don't like her chances though, given it'll be another canberra winter baby.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (29-04-2017),Tiny Dancer  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Thanks @Tiny Dancer. There's about 13 outfits in there and that does include different fabrics (cotton, velour, blends, stretch).

I bulked the quilt out with normal quilting fabric too. Once I had the outfits I wanted I just took them to a fabric/quilting shop and chose fabrics that complemented them and then worked those into the design. I was worried if it was all baby outfits it would look a bit too baby-ish and I wanted it to be a quilt dd could grow up with.

Four squares was the max I got out of any outfit, but it was doable for over half of them. A few outfits only made two squares though.

Re the different fabrics, mum's trying to enforce a cotton only policy in belly bub's wardrobe in attempt to make sewing their quilt easier in the future. I don't like her chances though, given it'll be another canberra winter baby.
    Thank you 😊😊

Yeah... chances are pretty low. Not enough warmth in cotton only for down there! You're allowed to turn the heater on now it's past ANZAC day, right? Pretty sure we had the heater on for DS from the very beginning of April.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did consider making a quilt like that. But I've just kept their "coming home from hospital" outfits. So their first outfit they wore, which I will gift to them when/if they have kids. And I've kept a bunch of my daughters newborn dresses to go on some of her dolls. Also, she gets a new Christmas dress every year which I am keeping also. Everything else is going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea what my bub's first outfit was, or his coming home outfit... does that make me a bad mum?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    I have no idea what my bub's first outfit was, or his coming home outfit... does that make me a bad mum?
    Not at all. I only know because when I was pregnant with each kid, we bought them specifically for that purpose.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (30-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am like this... after watching tonight's House Rules...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I am like this... after watching tonight's House Rules...
    I forgot to watch but it was looking hideous from the bits and pieces I saw last night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I forgot to watch but it was looking hideous from the bits and pieces I saw last night.
    I didn't like all of the "design" choices that were made by the teams, but the judging by the home owners was completely brutal. I don't know if they liked anything in the house, which is a shame considering what they started with...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I didn't like all of the "design" choices that were made by the teams, but the judging by the home owners was completely brutal. I don't know if they liked anything in the house, which is a shame considering what they started with...
    Totally agreeing with you. Considering what they had and what was built from the ground up I'd be totally grateful for everything. But yes there where definately some bad choices made by all the teams