+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How can I clear up congestion after a cold??

I'm at my wits end with my poor boy's congestion and wondering how much longer it can possibly go on for? He got a cold from a friend's baby on Christmas Day (2 weeks old then)and although he was only a little unwell for 2 days he has been snotty ever since and nothing is working to clear it up because it's all sitting far back in his nose. I am using saline drops regularly, aspirator if I can and have the vaporizer going with some Vicks in it. It's affecting his sleep at night because he can't breath properly. I've propped up his mattress slightly (although was advised not to by midwife) but this doesn't really help so last night I had him sleeping with me just so he could get some rest. He's usually fine during the day but after he's been down for a few hours at night then the snorting starts and he is so restless.

Surely there must be more I can do to clear it up? It feels like it will never go away and I'm going to be dealing with this until he's 6 months and can have medicine for it. Help please with any suggestions!
    Last edited by MrsVZ; 27-01-2017 at 06:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You could try a Nose Frida nose sucker. In my opinion it's the best type of aspirator on the market. I felt the bulb and electric ones were quite useless in comparison.
    But that doesn't change why he's had congestion for so long. Have you seen a GP? If he has an infection up in the sinuses the GP will treat it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    You could try a Nose Frida nose sucker. In my opinion it's the best type of aspirator on the market. I felt the bulb and electric ones were quite useless in comparison.
    But that doesn't change why he's had congestion for so long. Have you seen a GP? If he has an infection up in the sinuses the GP will treat it.
    The aspirator I have is a basic one but it does help IF I can loosen the mucous first because it's not sitting in his nostrils.

Had his check up the other day and GP said the same as the midwives have been saying, which is that it will clear up eventually so just keep doing what I'm doing.