+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should I buy a pump?

I got one and have used it every day. Bub is almost three weeks. I express to help my supply and i also had cracked nipples so I expressed while they healed. I got a Medela electric pump from baby bunting for around $100. Does the trick
    Last edited by mrsh1984; 27-01-2017 at 10:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Neither of my babies took a bottle so basically mine gathered dust after a few weeks of pumping and storing (with pp mentioned can be a PITA).

It does come in handy when you have a blockage or engorged though. But not worth it to me overall, a manual one would of sufficed (I bought a spectra double pump).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TortoiseNotTheHare View Post
    My bub will be two weeks tomorrow and we have been using the spectra s2 at home (borrowed from a friend) to pump (and also took it to the shopping centre the other day - thank goodness the parents room had a power point) because my supply isn't the best. I've been pumping every few hours whereas she sleeps longer and falls asleep on the boob if I wake her.

If it wasn't for pumping my supply would be completely destroyed and even now I'm only able to do half boob and half formula so that she gets enough.

I also put her on the boob as well when she's awake and it times out well but until my supply is up, I'll need to keep pumping regardless of whether she is due for a feed.
    Has Bub been checked for ties by an IBCLC? DD2 was falling asleep on the breast because she was working so hard to try and get the milk as her mouth wasn't working as it should.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bought a spectra when DD was 3 months old, used it a handful of times until I returned to work, then used it every work day (great pump!) for 6 months. With DS I pump every few days just to have a little stash in the freezer so I can go out without him occasionally, plan to do the same again with work this time.I've never needed to use the pump to build supply. Most of the time I find it easier to BF than muck around with bottles etc.
    You just won't know if you need a pump to build or maintain supply until you try BF. I would recommend you research pumps and the best places to buy, but wait until baby is born to get one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Has Bub been checked for ties by an IBCLC? DD2 was falling asleep on the breast because she was working so hard to try and get the milk as her mouth wasn't working as it should.
    Yeah she was checked in the hospital. She has a good latch but she gets sleepy. I think it's because she is really quick to drain me and I don't realise that the milk has run out. Either that or she gets lazy because she gets it easier when I have pumped and give it to her in a bottle where she doesn't have to work for it. Hopefully my supply increases soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah she was checked in the hospital. She has a good latch but she gets sleepy. I think it's because she is really quick to drain me and I don't realise that the milk has run out. Either that or she gets lazy because she gets it easier when I have pumped and give it to her in a bottle where she doesn't have to work for it. Hopefully my supply increases soon!
    My boy does the same. Nothing would wake him up! He's getting better now though- he'll be three weeks Monday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I think once bub is more awake it will be different. For now she's a great sleeper so we will take the wins where we can! She's great at feeding too but more so on a bottle! She's definitely a guzzle guts!! She seems to have so much milk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone! Some great advice! I just hope I can bf enough! Although I won't be returning to work for a year (yay) I'd like to give hubby chance to maybe try a feed.
    Last edited by Hc27; 28-01-2017 at 00:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My DD was checked in hospital too and they said she didn't have any. I got an IBCLC with ties training to check her and she had a tinge, lip and cheek tie!

Good luck increasing your supply. Have you tried power pumping? Google power pumping images and it will say what to do

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

TortoiseNotTheHare  (28-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hc27 View Post
    Thank you everyone! Some great advice! I just hope I can bf enough! Although I won't be returning to work for a year (yay) I'd like to give hubby chance to maybe try a feed.
    I've found that getting hubby to do a 10pm feed awesome. We do it with formula. Gives me a chance to get a decent few hours of sleep and him a chance to bond :-)