+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should I buy a pump?

Hi, little bit to go but trying to be organized! I'm hoping and planning to breastfeed. Would you or did you buy a breast pump before or after baby was here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Are you planning on returning to work or do you have anything coming up where you can't take baby?

I bought one before birth as I was returning to work when Bub was 5 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would, it's super useful to have a stash of milk in the freezer for those times when you might be out without baby for longer than expected. And it gives you the freedom to leave the baby with someone, e.g. To go out for dinner with your partner and not have to worry about rushing back in time for baby's next feed.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally I would struggle without my breast pump. I need to have the option of going somewhere without Bub. That's just me. I pump most mornings do I've got s good stash in the freezer or DH does a night feed if I'm tired. 10 months and no formula yet
    If you don't mind giving Bub formula a pump isn't quite as important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I bought a manual breast pump before baby was born. I upgraded to an expensive electric one when my first was older, about 2 months before returning to work.

eta - I was wary of spending lots of money in case it didnt work out or I didnt really use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's really personal preference. I found pumping, storing milk, sterilising, defrosting etc quite a PITA and opted for formula when bub wasn't with me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having the same dilemma. With baby #1 I had the Medela swing and then was only able to feed for 3 weeks so it was a waste of money and I sold it. This time, I intend to try bf again but thought I would just hire a pump initially until I know for sure if it's going to work for us this time BUT, the cost of hiring is ridiculous so I'd rather buy again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's such an individual thing. I worked my a$$ off to get breastfeeding working, and a pump was a huge part of that. I couldnt have breastfed without it, but my babies all took around a month to start to attach and feed, so expressing and doing top ups while they lost weight was vital. Other people would buy one and never use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Without my pump our breastfeeding journey would not have existed. I had to pump for 7 weeks due to my bub having ties and being unable to latch, her release was when she was 7 weeks hence the pumping.

As per previous posts, great for a stash of milk and if you want to leave bub with hubby for a bit etc

Highly recommend spectra s2!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should I buy a pump?

My bub will be two weeks tomorrow and we have been using the spectra s2 at home (borrowed from a friend) to pump (and also took it to the shopping centre the other day - thank goodness the parents room had a power point) because my supply isn't the best. I've been pumping every few hours whereas she sleeps longer and falls asleep on the boob if I wake her.

If it wasn't for pumping my supply would be completely destroyed and even now I'm only able to do half boob and half formula so that she gets enough.

We just went and bought a medela swing (secondhand) to use when out and about because it can run on battery.

If we were going to buy an expensive pump I would have bought the spectra s1 because that has a rechargeable battery and the s2 works really well (they are the same except the battery part).

I'm yet to try the swing but I feel less stressed knowing I can pump no matter where we are because I really want bub to have as much breast milk as possible whilst she is so small.

I also put her on the boob as well when she's awake and it times out well but until my supply is up, I'll need to keep pumping regardless of whether she is due for a feed.
    Last edited by TortoiseNotTheHare; 27-01-2017 at 09:42.