ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My FB is pretty much just family, and good friends whose phone numbers I actually have. I had a work client stalk me on FB after I had to report them for something else (even though my settings were as tight as I could get them, it happened to be a friend of a friend situation), so I don't put myself in the situation where that might happen again. I don't even add acquaintances I would speak to in the street unless I would call them.

So, I do have occasional comments from my grandmother that are not quite PC, also from one of my uncles, and one of my cousins. I'm not going to call my nan out on FB. Mostly she doesn't fully understand a situation. However, I have had conversations with her taking the gently gently approach. My uncle I am pretty sure needs a psych review and diagnosis (I am not the only one who thinks so), and often posts bizarre things. I hide a lot of his posts. There is absolutely no point in arguing with someone who thinks the things he does and is clearly delusional. My cousin doesn't post a lot. He's in the armed forces, so I think a lot of his posts come from that view point. I hide the posts I don't agree with.

I have on occasion reported posts that I've somehow come across which I think are inflammatory and racist. I've been in 2 arguments with friends of friends on FB after trying to point out that their posts/or comments were actually incorrect and why. It went absolutely nowhere. It was seemingly a pointless exercise. They got really angry, I got really frustrated when each point I logically argued (with supporting evidence) was illogically refuted and disbelieved. They didn't want to change their minds and it was a waste of time. And I ended up apologising to my friends for getting into it on their posts. These experiences have also made me unwilling to engage with people who post these things (and it's usually racist things I come across), because most of these people are happy believing what they believe and arguing with them achieves nothing.

I have unfriended my friend's husband for his sexist/sexual posts. I blocked my brother's good mates because they were always swearing and making sexist "jokes". My responses to their posts were always sarcastic and I called them out a lot - but it did nothing to stop them.

I've corrected people's grammar both directly, and tried to indirectly correct grammar. Apparently no one else cares because they keep doing the same thing on a weekly basis.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

mckel  (28-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    But Facebook in general just bugs me now. I don't see photos of anyone kids anymore hardly. Or holiday photos. Which is what I want on Facebook. Instead I just see some random persons new profile picture because Facebook decided I need to see what my friends "like" more than what they post.
    I've noticed this too and it's annoying. For example, seeing photos of someone you don't know's BBQ, because one of your friends liked their post (and said friend isn't even tagged in any of the photos). Unless it's a mutual friend, why on earth does facebook pop this into my news feed

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-01-2017),MLadyEm  (27-01-2017),Mod-Nomsie  (27-01-2017),Tiny Dancer  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I have unfriended a handful of people that, honestly I wasn't that close with anyway, that were extraordinarily passionate about things I don't agree with and would constantly post statuses they know would trigger a debate. I just got sick of seeing it. I'm not interesting in people fishing for a fight all the damn time.
    Actually. Pretty sure I unfriended a few people that even had the same values as me, if they were the same. I have no issue with a hearty debate. But these are the types that turn everything into a debate.

Apart from that, I don't have too many issues. I have about 100 friends on Facebook but a few are unfollowed (I don't need 4000 posts about Harry Potter in my news feed every day). But Facebook in general just bugs me now. I don't see photos of anyone kids anymore hardly. Or holiday photos. Which is what I want on Facebook. Instead I just see some random persons new profile picture because Facebook decided I need to see what my friends "like" more than what they post. So I only go on Facebook now to go into my groups or to look specifically at the pages I follow. I don't scroll my newsfeed anymore.
    Yes I find this so annoying too. Sometimes I realised I've scrolled through for a few minutes and don't know anyone as its all "liked" pictures of friends friends

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Got to love people that correct grammar on Facebook... Not. Quickest way to get defriended I reckon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    Got to love people that correct grammar on Facebook... Not. Quickest way to get defriended I reckon
    I do it to a select few people - ones that I know better and that whinge about other people doing it. We have a laugh about it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've unfollowed one high school friend whose posts just grated on me....20 posts a day about "haters" and pictures of himself in the shower.

There are a couple of others (also high school friends) who I will occasionally argue with - one who likes to whinge about parents "not controlling their kids" and one who is very much on the opposite end of the political spectrum to me. They're both people who I like well enough to actually have on facebook though, otherwise I'd delete them.

As for groups...I regularly get frustrated by people spreading myths and misinformation. Sometimes I'll do my best to refute what they're saying, and other times I'll just scroll on past.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I do it to a select few people - ones that I know better and that whinge about other people doing it. We have a laugh about it.
    I'm the same - especially when I manage to get my FIL because he was an editor for a newspaper. Also, a few people that I have a running joke with.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

amyd  (27-01-2017)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I don't correct anyone on facebook. If I don't like something I'll keep scrolling, if I really don't like it (ie. it's a trigger) I'll hide it.

Most offensive stuff I find is posted by family so I can't exactly unfriend them without potentially causing problems. I'm related to a bunch of people who are always "right" so there's not much point in arguing with them! And I don't unfollow as a lot of what they post isn't offensive. If they were offensive more often than not I'd probably unfollow.

I find the best way for someone to change their mind (eg. on sexuality or same-sex marriage) is for them to spend time on a regular basis with people who are LGBTI or who hold different views from them. So I'm not sure correcting or pulling people up on FB would do much good.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (27-01-2017)

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-xkwzit View Post
    Fake news. Seriously, do a fact check before you share misinformation. I will post links to disprove your post.

Most people say, yeah but it's funny. Whereas I think this is why we have Trump and Brexit, so I don't think it's very funny at all

Cheers
    My Dad's partner is the worst for this. He is very Pro trump, anti Obama. (seriously he thinks Michelle is a man)

After the Meryl Streep speech, there was an artical from a democrat website, claiming that Denzel Washington said something which was against and directed at Meryl.
    The video they used to prove their fact happened a month earlier for a movie he was advertising for.
    I had much joy in informing my Dad's partner that the article was false and they just cut and pasted a video from the Hollywood News Facebook page from a month earlier.
    Well that post disappeared from his wall.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    I don't correct the grammar of Facebook friends, I only correct strangers on public pages.

I take particular delight in pointing out mistakes made by people who are pointing out errors in articles. If you make a mistake while criticising someone else's mistake...look out! I will pounce quickly! haha

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (27-01-2017),Tiny Dancer  (27-01-2017),WaitRose  (27-01-2017)