+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No. I just unfriend them. Why would anyone want to be friends with someone that posts racist rants or things I find terribly offensive. Unfriend button. Done

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    None of my friends post anything that would need correcting on my opinion. If they did I would just scroll past.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Sexist Shiz. One old school "mate" always posted photos of near naked women/ Women in lingerie in sexually submissive or suggestive positions with revolting titles. Stupidly I thought if Facebook won't allow a breastfeeding pic, then that shouldn't be ok either - but every time I reported it nothing would happen. And then fb would ask if you were ok with the outcome and I never was, and it suggested one of the actions I could take was to unfriend. So I did. Stupid bugger never cottoned on, because he has friend requested me again several times.

But really any of the above I try and hide- "alternative facts" designed to make us hate or feel rage, the WIN! Posts that are always too good to be true, the "like this picture if it made you cry" teenage angst bull****, the like-farm stuff, the click-bait stuff. I want my Facebook feed to be full of friends, family and shopping stuff. Because I follow several sellers on fb

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What behaviour will you correct people for on FB?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I don't. I scroll past and if they keep posting stupid **** I delete them or take their posts off of my newsfeed. I refuse to get involved with people's stupidity, especially on a public identifiable platform like FB.

Even though FB was originally intended for personal use it's really not anymore - people look you up in a professional capacity and I think people ranting about inappropriate things and others getting in and "correcting" idiots like a dog fight is pretty poor behaviour. No-one wins and everyone looks silly.
    Agree.

It's a public forum.

But I do judge. I confess I file it away in my brain and think less of them. A pet hate of mine is mothers of young children/married women posting about getting sloppy drunk or deliberately showing off cleavage. Oh how I judge.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 27-01-2017 at 08:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I don't. I scroll past and if they keep posting stupid **** I delete them or take their posts off of my newsfeed. I refuse to get involved with people's stupidity, especially on a public identifiable platform like FB.

Even though FB was originally intended for personal use it's really not anymore - people look you up in a professional capacity and I think people ranting about inappropriate things and others getting in and "correcting" idiots like a dog fight is pretty poor behaviour. No-one wins and everyone looks silly.
    This is pretty much my stance. I don't have any friends who post anything offensive enough to correct/comment on (plus I'm fairly selective about who I have as a friend in the first place).

Anyone who has posted rubbish that I find too distasteful to ignore have been unfriended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would just defriend someone if it's bad enough, but that's only if it's a constant ongoing issue. I have a few older generation people on my fb and once in a while they post racist stuff but I let it slide. I have men posting sexually explicit pictures that I hide from my feed but if it keeps up I just unfriend them.
    I'm pretty laid back because everyone has a right to their opinion and if I don't agree I just keep scrolling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I defriended someone recently for their disgusting view on transgender people. Basically she said that she thinks all transgender people are pedophiles in disguise and they are scum

I won't associate with anyone who has these views

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have unfriended a handful of people that, honestly I wasn't that close with anyway, that were extraordinarily passionate about things I don't agree with and would constantly post statuses they know would trigger a debate. I just got sick of seeing it. I'm not interesting in people fishing for a fight all the damn time.
    Actually. Pretty sure I unfriended a few people that even had the same values as me, if they were the same. I have no issue with a hearty debate. But these are the types that turn everything into a debate.

Apart from that, I don't have too many issues. I have about 100 friends on Facebook but a few are unfollowed (I don't need 4000 posts about Harry Potter in my news feed every day). But Facebook in general just bugs me now. I don't see photos of anyone kids anymore hardly. Or holiday photos. Which is what I want on Facebook. Instead I just see some random persons new profile picture because Facebook decided I need to see what my friends "like" more than what they post. So I only go on Facebook now to go into my groups or to look specifically at the pages I follow. I don't scroll my newsfeed anymore.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have unfollowed, and deleted, quite a few family members because of racist crap.
    I have deleted another relative for continuously sending me chain mail despite repeatedly asking her not to- there were at least two a day!

Generally, I will say "I disagree with putting this on social media" or ignore it. I DO use it as a teaching mechanism for the kids about 'what not' to post online as it can affect careers.

ETA: on the transgender using restrooms thing... I have kids who have been abused and since learning of this they are terrified of using the ladies restroom in case there are men in there... I have told them that I am with them at all time and they are safe, that we can use the parents room if there is one, etc. But they are terrified. DSS is already refusing to ever use a male restroom, which as he gets older is getting difficult (already getting comments on him being in the ladies with me).
    I, personally, don't have a problem with it, but when it comes to my kids, I would rather not see them so distraught.
    Last edited by DT75; 27-01-2017 at 09:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I have unfollowed, and deleted, quite a few family members because of racist crap.
    I have deleted another relative for continuously sending me chain mail despite repeatedly asking her not to- there were at least two a day!

Generally, I will say "I disagree with putting this on social media" or ignore it. I DO use it as a teaching mechanism for the kids about 'what not' to post online as it can affect careers.

ETA: on the transgender using restrooms thing... I have kids who have been abused and since learning of this they are terrified of using the ladies restroom in case there are men in there... I have told them that I am with them at all time and they are safe, that we can use the parents room if there is one, etc. But they are terrified. DSS is already refusing to ever use a male restroom, which as he gets older is getting difficult (already getting comments on him being in the ladies with me).
    I, personally, don't have a problem with it, but when it comes to my kids, I would rather not see them so distraught.
    That's really awful for your kids. I guess this is why I feel it is important that change rooms/toilets remain segregated based on sex and work out alternative options to ensure that transgender people's needs are also accommodated.
    If I was on facebook I would probably be unfriended for that comment.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

DT75  (27-01-2017)